the gauntlet (sensors)...thrown down??

20 posts / 0 new
Last post
GenAris
GenAris's picture
the gauntlet (sensors)...thrown down??

Hullo!

Can anyone tell me if the rs Media's fingers or hands have bump switches of some kind in them to replace the "gauntlet" sensors that rsV2 had over his hands?

Here in the U.S. of Uh, we can't buy the rs Media yet :( so I have to keep waiting, but my rsV2 does sometimes detect obstacles with his gauntlet bumpers that he apparently doesn't pick up via his IR.

So, since I see from all the pics that the rs Media doesn't have the big oval gauntlets like rsV2, was some sort of alternative bumperswitch arrangement implemented, or has this feature just been discarded to make room for the hand mounted media control buttons and speakers?

Personally, I'm the "have my cake and eat it too" type, and always only want new models to add more features AND keep all the old features as well. Especially features like the hand gauntlets, which seem to be necessary for the bots to keep from just battering themselves endlessly against un-IR-detected obstacles.

Anyone have info or comments on this?

Nocturnal
Nocturnal's picture

The gauntlet sensors are gone. There is not bump detection capabilities in the hands any more.

GenAris
GenAris's picture

well, cuhrr-rap!  Thanks for the info, Nocturnal. I read at the other forum something about the ir receivers being moved from the ears to near the eyes ? --- does this seem to have improved or worsened rsMedia's  ability to detect obstacles when he roams, compared to rsV2?

Nocturnal
Nocturnal's picture

I don't have a working, V2, so I can't really compare. But
theoretically it would narrow (ever so slightly) his field of view, but
may actually slightly improve object detection *Shrugs* Its hard to
say, its only a move of a few centimeters. 

GenAris
GenAris's picture

Hey, theoretically speaking :) if the move narrows his field of view slightly, that may actually help when an rs Media is in a hallway, or with doorways ---  the rsV2 bots will sometimes not pass between furniture items or thru doorways or walk hallways that they can physically fit thru without problem simply because they don't *think* they can clear.  I take this to be an issue with the field of view of the IR being wide enough that it becomes too sensitive to peripheral obstructions.

There is a website where they have great articles on bumper switch and IR detection placement schemes to determine ways of finding the optimum placements and coverages without setting up unwanted "false positive" scenarios needlessly, and it described similar behavior to what I have seen with my rsV2. Also, the rsV2 manual mentions something about the bots sometimes being "timid" about doorways etc they can fit thru and to disable his vision systems to walk him thru. 

For robotics builders and other tech-lovin' peoples, here's the link about IR proximity sensor placement:http://www.schursastrophotography.com...

and the bumper switch one:
http://www.schursastrophotography.com...

Nocturnal
Nocturnal's picture

*Laughs* I read that the other day (You don't by change read makezine do you?). You might like this, its an interesting way of narrowing the V2's field of view.

GenAris
GenAris's picture

Tongue outMAKE!!!!  and Instructables, and evilmadscientistlabs .... yep. :) *laughs*  They're like lay's potato chips, ya can never read just one article.  Hours later, it's like, oye, it's daylight outside! So what if at this moment you don't have any pressing need for learning how to use a webcam and a cheap laser point to make a 3d scanner, 'cause hey, ya never know, you might later, right!?  Plus good info can often be adapted to other ends....  I'm addicted fer sure.

Good mod, thanks for the link. An easy, KISS sort of mod for the IR, plus you could always remove the paint later if desired.  

Just curious, did your rsV2 have any of his screws, especially the ones joining his head pieces, stripped out when you bought him?  Mine had 2 of his head screws ground up so badly they weren't removable with a screwdriver. (and he was brand new, in package, from the shelf at Sharper Image store, not a refurb or anything) --- I wondered if the manufacturers were deliberately fouling up the screwheads after assembly to prevent (or at least reduce) people opening the bots and messing with them during warranty period.  I read somewhere a post with a person or persons also experiencing this with their v2.

Nocturnal
Nocturnal's picture

Not on my V2, but I had several damaged screw heads on my RS Media,
as well as a couple that were threaded. If they really wanted to
prevent people opening them up, the probably would have glued covered
over the screw holes or used security heads. I suspect the ladies on
the production line are either using damaged screwdrivers, or twisting
to hard while not applying enough pressure (or both).

For
removing the damaged screws, I find using a screwdriver with a large or
sometimes smaller, head gets a better grip, and then using a lot of
pressure to make sure it doesn't slip and damage the screw head further
during removal. I do seem to recall Robosapien V2 4mem8 over on the robosapien.tk forums
had problems with a damaged screw in his V2, I think he used a
soldering iron to heat the screw and melt the plastic till he could
just pull it out (of course it was a while ago, so I could just be
imagining it all).

Dradts
Dradts's picture

GenAris said: Hullo! Can anyone tell me if the rs Media's fingers or hands have bump switches of some kind in them to replace the "gauntlet" sensors that rsV2 had over his hands? 

Hi!

It seems like there are different designs of the RS Media out there. Personally, I don't really like what the RS Media looks like (I dont like the silver-red touch it has). So I looked on the web and found a black RS Media, which is sold over here in Germany (I don't know about other countries).

Here's a picture of it:

http://www.evendi.de/preisvergleich/Produkte/124304.html

As you can see, this RS Media has the exact same casing like RSV2. It even features those gauntlet sensors on his hands, and has the same fingers like the RSV2. I just wonder whether it has the two speakers in his hands, as I can't see the speaker holes on the picture (maybe they're just too small).

Nocturnal
Nocturnal's picture

At current there is only the one version of the RS Media, that picture is of a Prototype RS Media.

BigKid
BigKid's picture

Thats a shame. It looks like it has more functional hands (more fingers & a better handspan). It might even be able to pick stuff up, RS media isn't paticularly capable in this area. His hands don't seem to open far enough, also when he does manage it his sensors don't detect it. 

Dradts
Dradts's picture

Thats pretty sad. I like the black one a lot more, and it even has the gauntlet sensors Undecided

Dradts
Dradts's picture

I found the black RS Media on myToys.de. It is even deliverably, at least their shop says this. I guess they're just using an image of the RS Media prototype, and are really selling the new model. But to be sure, I wrote an eMail to the shop-support, hopefully they will reply soon.

A black RS Media would be really great. 

Dradts
Dradts's picture

BigKid said: Thats a shame. It looks like it has more functional hands (more fingers & a better handspan). It might even be able to pick stuff up, RS media isn't paticularly capable in this area. His hands don't seem to open far enough, also when he does manage it his sensors don't detect it.

The fingers are the same as RSV2 got. They look better, but I guess they are not as stable as the ones RS Media uses.

FREEEK
FREEEK's picture

I have an RS Media i just buy it from Germany , I live in Romania ... and it has sensors in hand but not like V2 they are inside the hand they can not be seen ... that black plastic on the fingers and in the hand is fixed ... check it out :

Nocturnal
Nocturnal's picture

BigKid said: Thats a shame. It looks like it has more functional hands (more fingers & a better handspan). It might even be able to pick stuff up, RS media isn't paticularly capable in this area. His hands don't seem to open far enough, also when he does manage it his sensors don't detect it.

The object has to be big enough (ie if the fingers close fully, the hand will register as empty).

Dradts
Dradts's picture

On the myToys.de site, the title says "Robosapien Media, Black". I wonder if they would still keep the black in the title even if the robot actually wasn't black. I hope they will respond to my mail soon, and I hope they have an answer for this.

BigKid
BigKid's picture

So does the RSV2 have better hands than RSM for picking stuff up? Anyone done any comparisons?

Dradts
Dradts's picture

I don't know whether the RSV2's hands are better than the Media ones. They have the gauntlet sensors on top of it, which are sometimes hinderly when trying to 'low pickup' something. Also, they seem to be not as stable as the Media's, but on the other side, they don't look as clumsy.

Dradts
Dradts's picture

I now got a response from the webshop. You were right, Nocturnal. They only got the standard RS Media with grey/orange casing!