Bodycon editor software Linux, MacOS X

18 posts / 0 new
Last post
The Cylon
The Cylon's picture
Bodycon editor software Linux, MacOS X

The software requirements for the macro software seem to be Windoze XP, 

Does anybody know whether there will there be a version that runs on Linux or Mac OSX 

Or will Wowee release enough quality information so that we can write a Linux or Max OSX interface.

Some of us in the Linux community could have the software available in short order! 

Nocturnal
Nocturnal's picture

The macro's and bodycons are all shell scripts (as in the windows
software outputs shell scripts for the RS Media to run), and
personalities are basically a text file pointing at appropriate mp3's.

The Cylon
The Cylon's picture

Thanx nocturnal for the response.

So then the outstanding issues for Linux/Mac OSX  folks are:

1)  The  layout (command set) and arguments that the shell scripts expect.

(Is it easy to view the scripts on the RS Media?)

2)  Transferring shell scripts from Linux/Mac OSX to the rs media.

For the windoze users the software probably automatically  makes

the USB connection, and the download would be transparent.  Is the

Rs media usb connection smart enough to show up as a mounted

drive for Linux/Mac OSX folks, or will we have to write something special.

Once a few details are worked out I would be happy to donate a gui framework

as a starting point  for Linux/Mac OSX users.

Nocturnal
Nocturnal's picture

The RS Media appears as a removable usb drive, and mounts under linux
fine. You can determine the commands and the expected arguements from
the windows software by examining the files.

The Cylon
The Cylon's picture

Thanx Nocturnal,

As soon as possible, and if no one else has already done it,

I'll post a link to a  QT gui or Java gui that does what the Bodycon, and macro, and media 

editor for Windoze does.,

Perhaps
the wowee folks had good reasons to develop as Windoze specific 
software, but  a Java gui seems like it would have been more
practical in the long run.

Thanx

Khalid J Hosein
Khalid J Hosein's picture

Cylon - that would be fantastic! Let us know if there's anything we can do to help.

The word right now from WowWee is that there isn't going to be a Mac version of the RS Media suite any time soon. They would like to be able to produce a cross-platform version in the next year or so, but that doesn't sound like a definite thing. 

Dradts
Dradts's picture

Hi!

How exactly does the Windows software copy the shell scripts over to the RS Media? Does it simply move the files over to the flash drive (I mean, are they visible in the Windows Explorer), or are those files hidden inside maybe a hidden directory or partition or something?
It would be great to know, as I am currently thinking about bying a RS Media and am a Mac user (and Java coder). If it simply copies the files over to the RS Media, it should be pretty simple to write a Java Program which serves as an alternative to the windows version of the Robosapien software.

Greetings,
Dradts

Nocturnal
Nocturnal's picture

The files are visible on the RS Media in windows explorer. The softwarecopies the files over (and changes paths where appropriate), it alsoupdates some index files on the RS Media.

Dradts
Dradts's picture

Are those index-files also visible directly on the disk? And how are they formatted, i.e. are they easily updateable?

And is it possible to add self-written Java applications to the RS Medias application? This way, I think, it could be possible to run shell scripts through a java app and redirect their output to the RS Medias internal screen. 

Nocturnal
Nocturnal's picture

Its all text files.

It theoretically possible, in thesame way its theoretically possible to write your own linux apps forit. IF you can get your java app to run, you can access the LCD throughthe framebuffer (/dev/fb).

Dradts
Dradts's picture

Cool! So if only I could get the black one now....

Nocturnal
Nocturnal's picture

You could always do what I did, learn to paint.

Dradts
Dradts's picture

It's not just that I don't like the color, but I also don't like the Media's claws. Also I would like to have the gauntlet sensors as they seem to be pretty useful (as seen with my V2).

If I can't get my hands on the black one with the RSV2 casing, I won't buy it and instead wait for the V3 to be released Laughing

Nocturnal
Nocturnal's picture

As I have said, that photo is of a prototype, not a production model. I would be EXTREMLY surprised if you could get it.

Youcould replace the RS Media's hands with a V2's hands, but you'd loosethe media control buttons, and there is no way to detect the gauntlet,unless you hook it into one of the feet sensors.

Dradts
Dradts's picture

Hi! 

Aren't the RSV2's gauntlet sensors also connected to his feet sensors? For example, if you program a left-sensor puppet-program, he will react to the left gauntlet and to his left foot sensor.

I also doubt that I will get the black RS Media, but as I said, I wrote an email to the shop support. Maybe they can tell me more. But I haven't received an answer to my mail yet.

But thanks for your answers! 

Nocturnal
Nocturnal's picture

Hey may react to both (I don't recall, and my V2's been dead for awhile so I can't test it), The buttons however are individualydiferentiated.

Dradts
Dradts's picture

Nocturnal said: The RS Media appears as a removable usb drive, and mounts under linux fine. You can determine the commands and the expected arguements from the windows software by examining the files.

Mounting the RS Media on the Mac does not work, unfortunately. I tried it today with the latest OS X release 10.4.9. It shows up in the USB-Inspector as Motorola MXL, but cannot be mounted as a drive :-/

I hope this will work with a later release of OS X.... 

Linux Richard
Linux Richard's picture

The Cylon said: Thanx Nocturnal, As soon as possible, and if no one else has already done it, I'll post a link to a  QT gui or Java gui that does what the Bodycon, and macro, and media  editor for Windoze does., Perhaps the wowee folks had good reasons to develop as Windoze specific  software, but  a Java gui seems like it would have been more practical in the long run.   Thanx  

Hi Cylon,

Just wondering if you've got that link to a Linux-friendly gui handy still?

Thanks