Had it 3 days and broken it. Doh!

13 posts / 0 new
Last post
sadgrandad
sadgrandad's picture
Had it 3 days and broken it. Doh!

Was just getting to grips with the control and arm modes (with interference from my 'little' boy - aged 29 - who knows everything, so I'll blame him) and now it seems kaput.

The LCD screen is blank but white lit, after the initial Wowwee splash screen and there's no sound. It does do some things, e.g. I think it does the dance demo, and arm and general movements seem ok, but it's gone quite wierd. Heeeeeeelllpppp, pleeese.

P.S. Not in techno jargon if poss. I was raised on steam radio and gas lights!

sadgrandad
sadgrandad's picture

Update:  :'(

I've formatted and restored the RS Media. It's still the same.

The personalities have all their sound files which seem to play ok in Windows Media.

When the RS Media is turned on, it performs its intro movements slently.

It will do the dance demo, etc., but without audio.

The LCD screen has the Wowwee image at startup but then goes blank - but lit.

In media mode the screen is blue with the menu images defined.

The Audio, Photo, Video and Games folders are all empty when viewed in Windows Explorer.

In the Personality menu you can't browse or audition.

This is all how it was before I did the restore.

Is this any help for you to help me?

Thanks

Billy
Billy's picture

I formated the drive from my computer and the restored it using the RS Media restore I found this method more effective on mine

Nocturnal
Nocturnal's picture

See my response on the other forum. FYI the folders are supposed tobe empty after a format, you have to use the restore function in the PCsoftware to put the files back. This means the only personalityavailable is the default one (which is stored elsewhere that you can'taccess).

Billy, formating the internal memory will fix many things, a total lack of sound is not one of them.

sadgrandad
sadgrandad's picture

:) Well, after having messed about with trying to reload personalities etc., I had to take a few months off due to 'proper' grandad tasks - like decorating and gardening.

Looked at my RS Media in the corner, where it's been since January and had another go. Downloaded the 2.1 pack and tried exporting personalities to RSM with no joy, other than seeming to have duplicate folders - which I couldn't completely delete.

So, I gave up and took a screwdriver to it! :o

I don't pretend to understand what's in there but I unplugged the black and orange wires on the right (looking forward) and then plugged them back in. Switched it on and - bingo - it spoke!

When I was trying to get the 2 wires back in their clips on the body-front, a ribbon cable on the left became detached from the main body. I didn't really pull on it, so I think it must have been barely plugged in. I've refitted it and it my RS Media works, with sound, so I'm feeling quite pleased.

However, I only have default personality. Should I still obtain an SD card and try the link above, or is there another way to reload personalities and get rid of the bits of dross I've put in the RS's memory?

I'm afraid I'll never be an enthusiast, I bought this because I liked the Robopet I bought my grandaughter for Christmas. I really only want to amuse my grandchildren and use it to confuse my aged mother.

Thanks for your input, even though I've been so tardy ::)

PS sorry fo bigness of font - I just copied this fro the other forum (idle git!) and don't know how to alter font 

RobosapienRevolution
RobosapienRevolution's picture

Those two wires were probably loose, and that was causing your problem.

machman
machman's picture

I have the same problem was this a full fix or lucky.I suspect this is a software problem. Bump this thread as its seems to fit a lot of peoples problems

Nocturnal
Nocturnal's picture

In this instance, all the problems stemed from one loose cable and had nothing to do with software. If you'd like I can go through the RS Media's hardware and explain the individual failures, but its much easier to just say one of the really important cables came loose.

If you problems fit exactly those described by sadgrandad in his first post, it may also be your problem.

milw
milw's picture

Mr N, could you post a link to one of your photos showing the cable that came loose in the above posts?

thx! -Scott 

Nocturnal
Nocturnal's picture

That could be tricky, do you mean the cables that sadgrandad most likely refers to, or the ones that were the actual problem? they are not necessarily the same thing.  But a photo of all of them, I can do.

The cable that caused sadgrandad's problems is the one multicoloured one on the right hand side. Problems with the two middle ribbon cables would cause extremely similar problems (thought slightly different. only actually true for one of the cables, the other one would just cause the camera to fail, but I can't recall which one is which off the top of my head). The ribbon cable on the far left is missing (unplugged), but you can see the socket where it would connect (labeled 905 in pen), disconnecting it causes the LCD to fail , but nothing else. Also visible is the orange and black cable sadgrandad mentions. You'd only notice a problem with that one if you tried recording something with sound.

There is slightly more details about the connections on my site. http://www.evosapien.com/robosapien-h...

machman
machman's picture

Assuming the wiring is ok. Are there any other possible causes.  My RSM problems are exactly identical.  I am in conctact with customer services and nothing heard yet.

The reason I suggest software, it because the LCD clearly does work and I can access the options menu toggling through. I can take a picture and can hear the speakers working.     

Nocturnal
Nocturnal's picture

When you say hear the speakers working, do you mean the RS Media is making sounds, or do you mean you can hear them humming?

There are always other possible causes, a loose plug is the simplest explaination. Its also easy to check for and easy to fix, assuming your waranty is up.

machman
machman's picture

Yep I can hear sounds through the speakers, the processor noises and the other familiar backgound noises on start up. But the RSM is void of any personalities or the menu to access them. It has lost its menu for arm mode and plays no verbal commands when you change its modes. It would appear to work fine in other respects other than the LCD white screen after the wowwee splash and no java games.

When you connect usb the various personality pictures and mp3 files are visable through an adobe autoview software I have installed.

Yep warranty is still in play but only just.