US Update

11 posts / 0 new
Last post
quitej
quitej's picture
US Update

According to a clip taken by I4U news at ces at wowwee's both. During an interview with a wowwee exhibitor, the exhibitor said, "we are reserving a model for the u.s. market in which we have updated the software," and a few other things. You can check it out down below on the line. Post any comments about it if you so fell compelled to. The video also shows some good clips of the WowWee alive elvis. The RS Media info is toward the end/

http://video.i4u.com/ces.php?url=ces/WowWee-Elvis-RS-Media-Interview.wmv&p=1

Artanor
Artanor's picture

Good grief that guy was a pretty poor choice to try and sell WowWee products. Clearly not from the sales team since he didnt have his speil down pat at all !

He also seemed to indicate that they are releasing an updated version of the RSM to the US and then to Europe etc.  If that is the case they better be offering us early adopters stuck with a buggy bot some kind of upgrade. 

Nocturnal
Nocturnal's picture

Trust me, He's not so bad. There was a lady interviewed last yearabout the RoboReptile, she had no clue what she was talking about andsaid even more idiot things than this guy. Hey! I think thats her inthe background!

This guy just sounds like he's havingtrouble remembing the marketing speil, it doesn't help that heobviously has no grasp of the underlying technology, so he's using thewords he remembers, but not correctly.

If so many of their sales are to men, shouldn't that mean that a female personality would be a good thing?

Theonly problem I have with it, is the essentialy big "fuck you" to allthe places that they did sell the less than perfect version. If itsanything other than software updates (which in theory can be applied toany existing RS Media), I am going to be seriously unhappy (I'm alreadyunhappy that I paid $750 for it when it came out, and its now availableat half that).

Lets just add him to the list of people that should never be allowed to talk to the press. 

BigKid
BigKid's picture

If they have updated the software then why isn't it up on the site for us poor suckers that bought the inferior version. The current software is crap! Makes you think the new software may be designed for a different model otherwise they'd be getting us to test that as well! Based on the issues I've had and other user comments my predictions on the US model will be that it has the following improvements/extras:

- Include rechargable Battery packs in its feet/power supply

- Missing RS2 features (Gauntlets, Hands)

- USB2

- Better Quality Camera & LCD display

- Better Sound without the fault people think is a heartbeat :-)

- Stable/user friendly software that works and actually allows you to go      back instead of starting all over.

- New personalities - with US appeal

- New Paint Scheme

Nocturnal
Nocturnal's picture

I think you'll be lucky to get just the last two. Incidentally, Iwould say the existing personalities (not counting the british"celebrity"personality) has US appeal.

The irony with the handsand the gauntlets is people complained about the gauntlets beinguseless, and actually moded their V2's to remove them.

Dradts
Dradts's picture

BigKid said: If they have updated the software then why isn't it up on the site for us poor suckers that bought the inferior version. The current software is crap! 

What is wrong with the current software?

Artanor
Artanor's picture

Dradts said:

BigKid said: If they have updated the software then why isn't it up on the site for us poor suckers that bought the inferior version. The current software is crap! 

What is wrong with the current software?

Well heres a couple for starters

1) The scroll bar on the right hand side of the Custom Personaility frequently goes AWOL so you have to click on one of the other personailities to get it back.

2)  It seems be be incapable of allowing you to overwrite your custom personaility thats on your RSM with one of the same name.  I am currently working on a new personaility and if I want to upload a new version after adding some more audio it corrupts the filesystem on the Robot so I have to reformat the writable partition and restore the default personalities first.

Dradts
Dradts's picture

Is the operating software on the RS of a better quality?

BigKid
BigKid's picture

Nocturnal,

Never owned RS2 myself so can't comment on the functionality but people seem to miss the gauntlets (I think they look cool). Agree some of the current personalities will appeal but given the time since they were done they're bound to have some more ready.

Dradts, Artanor - Re Software Issues

- It freezes and needs to be restarted all the time, esp after being open for sometime (and I have a very stable PC)

- Adding sound files: can add several per bodycon but puts annoying space between them and only plays one anyway. If you put wrong file in by mistake or want to change it you have to redo the whole animation. Plays many files to fast, have to play around with format. Generally all sound work need to be done externally. 

- Forever having to re-format bot.

- Interface is horrible.

wilson6945
wilson6945's picture

I have read the blogs, And Wowwee as a whole has left Me with a rotten taste in my mouth. I donot own the latest model,as it not releasd in the United States as of yet,But I do own the RS-V2 That is Defective! I won,t tell you about the fight with wowwee,As im still waiting for the replacment Robot. All I will say is that they don,t want to honer the warrentys! and they do not have any repair or Service here in the USA ,only Canada! and there Customer Service is A joke! I probebly will not purchase there next Robot! nor would i recomend there Robots to any of my Friends! And im sure they won,t offer me a reduced price either on the new Model. Yes my nickers are in a knot! (LOL)

Genshore
Genshore's picture

I am old enough to remember DOS commands on my computer. We are in the infancy stages of robotics-enjoy the technology and learn from these well built NEW TECHNOLOGY robots - I know I am. Given time I'm sure we'll see WiFi and BT  RS Robot systems. Also I love my RS Media.