FlyTech Dragonfly already for sale at Radioshack.com

20 posts / 0 new
Last post
nicerobot
nicerobot's picture
FlyTech Dragonfly already for sale at Radioshack.com

Just went to the Radio Shack website and saw FlyTech for sale and in stock.  I thought it wasn't due till april.

http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2585632&cp

Shane
Shane's picture

Hah,

Jeez, I guess I should have looked around the forums more before posting my post in a thread in general. I'm amazed as well, I thought too that it wasn't due till April.

But hey, already ordered mine!
It's quite a nice surprise, right?

Shane

ThisIsNot
ThisIsNot's picture

That is good.  I don't want to put anything on my credit card (I have had a zero balance for the past 2 years and want to keep it that way) so I will travel around my home town and see if they have it for sale already.  I doubt it but it is worth a shot.

Shane
Shane's picture

Thats awesome, congrats for your outstanding $0 balance on your credit card. I must admit that, to me, is quite a feat.

I'll let you know how it is when I get it though!

Shane

ThisIsNot
ThisIsNot's picture

Well, that didn't take long.  Luckily, both of my city's Radio Shacks are only 5 minutes from my house (they are two blocks away from each other).  The sale person stated that their computer showed them that they should be expecting their Dragonflys anytime now.  Their computer showed that they were on order but they don't know exactly when they will arrive.  They stated that, normally, when an object is on order, that it will arrive within a week.

I thought the Dragonfly wasn't coming out until 2 months from now, this was a surprise.

Shane
Shane's picture

Yeah, I know what you mean. I definatly wasn't expecting their release this soon. But, hey...that just means the sooner I get to enjoy it, eh?

I'm going to have so much fun learning how to fly that thing.

Shane

ThisIsNot
ThisIsNot's picture

Eh, I just went ahead and ordered it online.  I broke my 2 years of credit card silence.  When I received my credit card, I charged up to the maximum amount ($5,000) and payed it off in two months.  I did this to raise my credit score.  Now that my score is established, I didn't want to put anything on my credit card.  It is just a hassle on my part because I don't have a check book (I will have to go get some checks from the bank) and I don't want to use my debit online.

Anyway, I look foreward to messing around with this.  It looks like it is incredibly easy to fly and pretty durable (after finding out it is made of that Nerf like styrofoam).

Shane
Shane's picture

I don't know about it being easy to fly. I head somewhere on one of those youtube.com videos of it that it takes quite a considerable amount of practice to be able to fly it well without crashing often.

I too am looking foward to messing around with this. Heh, I'm just starting to build my credit since I just turned 19. My maximum credit line is only $500 to start with, lol.

Anyway,
I can't wait for it. I wonder if they will release different variations of the Dragonfly, possible different colors later on, maybe?

Shane

ThisIsNot
ThisIsNot's picture

I think Radio Shack's units have green eyes while others might be getting blue eyes. I don't know, I have seen pictures of one with blue instead of green.

I just hope that this thing lasts more than my RC helicopter which broke every time I flew it.

Edit:  I just canceled my online order.  I found out that you can go to Radio Shack and have them order it.  They will send it straight to your house and they won't charge you for shipping.  This is probably the best option as they charge around $10 for the 3-4 business day shipping.  My unit should be in by Monday or Tuesday.

Check out your local Radio Shack and ask them if they can order for you. 

Mirage
Mirage's picture

I stopped by my local RadioShack after work and got mine!  They had 5 in a pile at the end of an aisle.  Mine has blue eyes, and it looks like they all do.

Wow, this thing is way cool, but it's VERY hard to fly.  I've been flying for about 90 minutes and I've only had 2 successful flights that lasted longer than 10 seconds!  As soon as it stalls out once, it seems to get into an endless stall/dive pattern which I can't recover from.  This happens frequently right from launch.  I can't get it to gain altitude either.

I'm anxious for others to get theirs so we can start exchanging flying tips!

Shane
Shane's picture

Heh,

I got my shipping confirmation e-mail today. It is saying that the estimated delivery date for my unit will be the 13th, Tuesday. Usually, it comes a day sooner...so I'm in the same boat as you...Monday or Tuesday.

Blue eyes eh? Yeah! I knew I heard from somewhere that they are really hard to fly, but it's a nice feeling of satisfaction once you get a hold of it.

I can't wait to get mine!

Shane

Mirage
Mirage's picture

Okay, after some more time, I've finally had some decent success!  Here's what I've learned so far:

The battery didn't seem to take a full charge until the 3rd or 4th charge cycle.  This made it a lot harder in the beginning as it didn't seem to have enough power to gain altitude.  When I first started, I couldn't even use the tail ribbon because there wasn't enough power to make it fly.

While learning, it's best to recharge the battery after about 5 minutes, when you first start to notice a decrease in power.

Once the battery seemed to have a better charge, flying with the tail ribbon worked great and I've had a few flights that lasted more than a few minutes in my living room!

It's all about the launch!  If you get it to fly straight and smooth from launch, you're good to go!  It will stay that way with only very minor stall/dive behavior.  If it immediately starts a stall/dive cycle after launch, it's almost impossible to recover.

I have been able to make it take off for successful flight from my kitchen island with about a 3 foot run at full throttle.  It would fly straight and level right off the edge of the counter (only with tail ribbon).

I've seen some videos of some with green eyes, and the decoration on the body is green in that case too.  I guess they have green ones and blue ones, with matching eye color.  My RadioShack had all blue.

Good luck flying!

ThisIsNot
ThisIsNot's picture

It turns out that, if you don't want to order it online and your store doesn't have any in stock, that you can go to your local Radio Shack and they can order one for you and send it to your house without charging you shipping.

I canceled my online order and did this.  I received free 2-4 business day shipping and it will arrive at my house.

I also found out that the Dragonflys come in two color, the green ones operate at one frequency and the blue ones operate at a different frequency.  You have to specify if you want a blue or green one.  I didn't learn about this until after I ordered my dragonfly.  Both my room mate and I have ordered our dragonflys via the above method, I just hope that one of us gets a blue one and the other gets a green unit.

I did manage to fly one around in the store though.  The store I went to received four units and one had a busted box.  So the manager took it out, put batteries in it, and started flying it around.  I tried to get him to let me purchase that unit but it was no dice.  Anyways, it is harder to control than I thought but, once you get the hang of it, it is pretty fluid.  It took me about 15 minutes to get the hang of things without crashing into everything.  The only thing I am a little dissapointed about is its inability to recover easily from a crash.  I was watching videos online and, anytime it crashed, it looked like they simply increased the throttle.  This doesn't really work and the unit normally takes a nose dive into the ground.

Still, very fun. 

Shane
Shane's picture

Hah,

Jeez...I guess I should have just gone to my local radio shack and bought it. It's too late now, they've already shipped it out it me. Oh well, you all have fun flying!

Shane

dsetzer
dsetzer's picture

I bought mine online and had it shipped (for free) to a local store.  I checked 3 different radio shacks and none of them had it.  I picked it up last week and have had fun with it.

Pictures and the such at www.mydragonfly.info.

-Doug

DarkStar
DarkStar's picture

Got mine!! I tried flying it a couple of times and it appeared that it wasn't getting any lift (as soon as I started flying it, it went down to the ground), but I decided to go into the cafeteria my company has and it flies much better. It's amazing what a couple more feet of flight room makes!

BTW, I bought mine from the RadioShack.com website and it's the green (49 MHz) version... 

RoboraptorV2
RoboraptorV2's picture

is this a radioshack excusive?

milw
milw's picture

It is for now anyway... have you seen the TV ad?

RoboraptorV2
RoboraptorV2's picture

no. i saw a demo at wowwee.com, but never seen the tv ad on it. but i rarely see any wowwee ads, i only seen raptor once, robopet 7, reptile 3, sapien v2 once.

angelo
angelo's picture

I get any new robots fresh from the company of wowwee thats how i got my mini rsv2