Stalvros's picture
The battery usage wise

I bought lots of batteries since i own rs media and v2 at the same time
so its like
12 X D cell batteries
14 X AA cell batteries

and i feel that its such a waste to keep changing them

So the thing that id like to ask is that
1st - how often does it need its battery to be changed anyways?
2nd - should i just purchase rechargeable batteries instead?
3rd - how do i go about recharging D cell? (I have AA charger), do i like just charge it by connecting it directly to the robot? If so, what kind of charger does it use, because the unit that i purhcased it with doesnt come with its own charger

Artanor
Artanor's picture

The socket in RS Media leg is just for external power. Using AA rechargables wont make a huge difference as its the D cells that drain the fastest so if you buy rechargables then get the highest capacity ones you can get and get a charger for them at the same time.

Stalvros
Stalvros's picture

hmmm alright so i should just get the D rechargeable batteries?

FREEEK
FREEEK's picture

I bought D cell rechargeable batteries from CONRAD Electronik from Germany (from there I bought the Charger too and the RS Media).

You take a good look at chargers because there are some "smart" chargers that make reghargeable batteries live longer , there are some non linear chargers (and they also prevent damage your batteries if you forgot them in charger for a longer time)... and the about the accumulators there are 2 types of reachargeable batteries now: 1.NiCd (wich provide more power but last just a little and with "charging memmory") and 2.NiMH (with a little less powerfull but last longer and NO "charging memmory".

The power provided by batteries that I've spoken about is the power that the battery gives it away at one time if it's necesary (for 2 ore more batteries with same capacity) NOT the accumulator capacity. Different capacities give different power at one momment.

The "chargineg memmory" is the capability of a accumulator to "remember" the leves of capacity that was charged. I mean if you charge a accu. just half for some times the accu. will not be able to charge full again only if formated for some times and NiMH is more like Li-Ion (from mobiles) the can be charge when you want how much time you want (less time).  

FREEEK
FREEEK's picture

If stores there are some adapters for making from AA or even AAA cell batteries D cell batteries. Nice thing but NOT GOOD at all for the robot because the robot gavity center (balance center) is good only if his feet are with the exact weight if you put that adaptor with the smaller accu. or batteries the weight in his feet is too light! Also the D cell accu's are with different weights for example i have:

a. Conrad      5000mAh - 120g

b. DURACELL 2200mAh -   60g

with the second type of accu's my robot is walking very difficult and if i try to make the robot from lie down position to go in "sit" position (not in up-position) he's to heavy to the upper part of the body and he's feet are going up because they are light.

stuart
stuart's picture

Good bit of information m8... many thanks..

Stalvros
Stalvros's picture

hmmm

im actually just thinking whether its worth it to get a charger

or maybe i should just get plenty of D cells.

I know that it wont last in long term
Just that currently i am abroad and the more non consumeable stuff i buy, the harder it is for me to bring it back later on after my graduation.

And those hi end D cell rechargeable batteries + its charger are extremely expensive :( 

Piaggio
Piaggio's picture

I think non-rechargeable batteries don't come cheap either and by buying rechargeables you save a lot of money in the long run!

Just Bought some 10.000 mAh D-cell on e-bay (Germany) for € 10,50 for 2 pcs (so € 5,25 per cell, ex shipping of course)

Some info about weights:

Philips non-rechargeable battery (Powerlife , alkaline): weight = 135 grams

Profitexx 12.000 mAh rechargeable Ni-Mh D-Cell: 157 grams

The 10.000 mAh cells I ordered are not in yet, but since the weigth seems to be directly related to the capacity I gues they will be somewaht lighter then my 12,000 mAh Profitexx and therefore about the same weight as the Philips non-rechargeable.

So as a guideline I suppose it would be best to use rechargeable cells with about 10.000 mAh capacity to stay close to the weight the Robosapien designers intended to be in Robo's feet. Laughing

Short_Circuit
Short_Circuit's picture

Hey Piaggio, 

i dont supose you would have more info on who you got your rechargeable D size batteries from on e-bay.? Thanks.

Short_Circuit

Eastercla
Eastercla's picture

Hey guys.  I just got these new rechargable battaries  and the brand is JUICE.  I was amazed after putting them in.  Robosapien v2 move so much faster and is stronger running on these battaries.  Plus, I noticed he does not become sluggish after paying with him for an hour like he does on reagular battaries.l  If you want a good brand JUICE is deffinately it.  Robosapien is stronger, moves a lot faster, can get up after lying down like it is nothing and he goes on carpet a whole lot better.  The only problem is that tose battaris a $17 for two of them but boy are they worth it.  The other cool thing is that they last longer than other battaries.  Click this link to go to there site.  http://www.juicebattery.com/

Short_Circuit
Short_Circuit's picture

O.K  people.... So what is better to use the NICD or the NIMH.? 10,000 or 11,000 or higher.? What gets the RSM to perform best.?

Eastercla
Eastercla's picture

The AAA's I am using are NiMH and are 1.2v.   The D's I am using are 1000 mAh and 1.2V NiMH.  I think that since the RSM has all that extra stuff iin it sucking up power it would not urt to use stronger battaries than what I am using.  I wokuld not go too strong though because I think you would end up running the risk of shorting out the circuit boards in the RSM.  I don't know if this helps or not but the AAA's aree black on the ends with green in the middle.  The D's are (to me) between silver and a grayish color with an orande rectangle on the front with the brand name in it.  I thought that maybe different battaries are different colors.

ags10ags
ags10ags's picture

Well, I have some problems with batteries. I want to use rechargeable D Batteries. (10.000mah) but I had problems before using different brands of batteries (All of them were brand new and not rechargeable) the V2 didnt work!! Just the light eyes were on! So, I`m affraid now to have the same problem with this D batteries. Anyone here can help me?

thank`s

Alexandre 

Nocturnal
Nocturnal's picture

Hi ags10ags, wrong part of the forum for V2's, but if your V2's eyes come on but he doesn't move or make sounds, there is a problem with the D batteries. This could be because they are not installed correctly (happens more often than you would think) or one of the cables has come unplugged on the inside. If the batteries keep going flat and are hot to the touch, then there is also the posibility of a short circuit.

ags10ags
ags10ags's picture

Nocturnal said: Hi ags10ags, wrong part of the forum for V2's, but if your V2's eyes come on but he doesn't move or make sounds, there is a problem with the D batteries. This could be because they are not installed correctly (happens more often than you would think) or one of the cables has come unplugged on the inside. If the batteries keep going flat and are hot to the touch, then there is also the posibility of a short circuit.

Noup, I bought new batteries again BUT ALL of the same brand (including AAA) and he works find...

Nocturnal
Nocturnal's picture

Then I would be betting you installed the other batteries incorrectly, have a loose connector, or possibly a had dud battery somewhere in the group.

When the eye's light up, but he doesn't move or make sound, its means he's not getting power, ANY power from the D batteries (Incidentally, the eye's lighting up means that he is getting power from the AAA's). Even with almost flat batteries he will still make some sounds and attempt to move. So believe me when I say the problem is unlikely to be the brand of batteries.

ags10ags
ags10ags's picture

Nocturnal said:

Then I would be betting you installed the other batteries incorrectly, have a loose connector, or possibly a had dud battery somewhere in the group.

When the eye's light up, but he doesn't move or make sound, its means he's not getting power, ANY power from the D batteries (Incidentally, the eye's lighting up means that he is getting power from the AAA's). Even with almost flat batteries he will still make some sounds and attempt to move. So believe me when I say the problem is unlikely to be the brand of batteries.

Well, for me is great news! I want to believe in you really, for me is better, I bought a lot of new rechargeable batteries and I'm affraid that they won`t work. But now I have more faith eheheheh. Thank you very much for so quick answers!!! ;D