First wing casualty

3 posts / 0 new
Last post
milw
milw's picture
First wing casualty

We've been flying ours nearly daily for 3 weeks now, and had the first serious wing damage today when the Green Dragonfly came down between our house and a foundation shrub Frown. One of the carbon rods snapped right at the wing mount. I was at the local R/C hobby shop yesterday and had picked up some 0.06" rod; there is also supposed to be a 1 mm diameter (0.04") rod available, the same as in these wings, but I think they were out of stock. At least we had the spare wing set still, so we were up and flying again in just a couple of minutes. Time to head over the Radio Shack for some spares perhaps?

cheers- scott 

broken wing 

Geo
Geo's picture

So the wing struts are carbon? I was thinking of replacing the struts on mine (when and if I ever get one) with something like carbon, but I guess Wowwee beat me to the punch.

milw
milw's picture

Yes, you can see in the above picture- they are 1 mm carbon fiber rod, with what appears to be a shrink-wrap coating on the last 0.5" or so, where they plug into the mounts. The shrink wrap adds about 0.01" to the diameter. I got some 0.06" CF rod at the hobby shop and had to drill out the holes in the mounts a wee bit to fit them in. My first test wing for ornithopter (2-wing) flight is a bit heavy as a result- 3.3 g, vs 2.2 g for the stock wing. That would mean my ornithopter mod will have 6.6 g total weight in 2 wings, vs 4.4 g for the stock Dragonfly. The main wing rod here is just under 15" long.

I'll likely redo these in lighter mylar and thinner rods- buying them in the 24" length so I'll have 14" for main rod and 10" for the second angled rod.

Wings cut out of TRU bag

Finished wing V1:

Final wing v1