RS Media + The Mindstorm NXT Brain.?

9 posts / 0 new
Last post
Short_Circuit
Short_Circuit's picture
RS Media + The Mindstorm NXT Brain.?

Hi All,

I recently read.... "Apparently Robosapien designer Mark Tilden loves Mindstorm kit so much he has designed his new robot so that the Mindstorm NXT robot brain fits perfectly on the rear as a backpack. And once the NXT brain is hooked up to the RS Media you can use it to program in complicated sequences of moves to let the Robosapien perform even more tricks".

Could anyone shed any light on this subject.? ie. if you were to buy this piece of kit, how exactly does it connect up to the RSM.? I mean does it have to be hard wired into the RSM.? Has anyone tried this mod out.?

Just thought i'd ask.

Short_Circuit

Nocturnal
Nocturnal's picture

It doesn't. I don't own the Lego NXT yet, but I've spent a lot of time working with the RS Media. The RS Media, as it is, out of the box, has no way to talk the NXT brain.

Its not impossible to make the RS Media and the Lego NXT brains communicate, just extremely difficult. You would need to first modify the RS Media's hardware to allow it to communicate with the Lego NXT. Adding a bluetooth module (which I have done) would be the the best way to go. You would then need to program the RS Media to talk to the Lego NXT brain, which is much harder than it sounds and most people would think.

I do plan on trying this, but its on the shelf until I get my hands on a NXT set.

Short_Circuit
Short_Circuit's picture

Thanks for your feedback Nocturnal. Look forward to hearing about your next mod.

Billboard
Billboard's picture

They have the same memory space though. (without the SD card for the RSMedia)

Nothing special though. Just a fun fact.... back to the shadows I go..

milw
milw's picture

I have an NXT but not an RSM Frown. I only just got a Bluetooth dongle for my PC and verified that it can talk to the NXT; I want to look a the non-lego programming options next.

rotics fan
rotics fan's picture

Short_Circuit,¿on what page do you read that? I think that page could have very useful information for the community.

Nocturnal
Nocturnal's picture

Just google RS Media and Lego NXT, you should find quite a few articles about it.

Billboard
Billboard's picture

I think they run on the same software or whatever. Simular battery life for the brain batteries that control the memory. I think they are both related in the sence of the technology behind them.

Just my thought.

njit capstone
njit capstone's picture

Hello,
I am working on a project for which I need to connect RS Media with lego NXT. I was wondering if anybody could provide me some tips on the "how to" of both robots.

Thanks!