Will you buy an Elvis?

26 posts / 0 new
Last post
Jeff Block
Jeff Block's picture
Will you buy an Elvis?

Plan on picking one up when it becomes available this summer?

Eastercla
Eastercla's picture

Not realy.  Personaly, i think it is creapy to have a bust of someone that talks to you.

Liam
Liam's picture

no way!Yell

firearrowxxx
firearrowxxx's picture

I rather not buy it, its a waste o' money

Jeff Block
Jeff Block's picture

Wow, lots of "no" votes on the Elvis.  I'd be interested in hearing WHY some of you don't like it, or why someone does like it, for that matter.  Any hardcore Elvis fans out there that want to weigh in?

MrScott
MrScott's picture

It's "robotic", but its not a robot.

I'm guessing that folks who are intriqued by robots aren't necessarily intrigued by this singing head.  I see it as more of a souped up singing fish. So was the Chimpanzee head.

Then again, the DragonFly isn't a robot, but it has a healthy following here on RoboCommunity. Maybe we're all just looking for something to chase.

In a different thread I described how a C3P0 or Terminator head might catch the eye (and wallet) of more folks here on robocommunity. 

I'd put an animated Terminator head on top of a Terminator statue that I set up each Halloween.

Jeff Block
Jeff Block's picture

Which thread?  I missed that.

MrScott
MrScott's picture

That's kind of funny. It was your thread. It has the same name as this one.

http://www.robocommunity.com/forum/thread/11192/Will-you-buy-an-Elvis-/ 

Jeff Block
Jeff Block's picture

DOH!  I totally smeeked myself.  Ah well.  Too many posts, not enough time.

GWJax
GWJax's picture

Just a Litte note: I have bought the Elvis and Love it. I can't wait to hack into it. I have stoped my robotic head when I seen Elvis. Mybe I'll put a new skin on him and reprogram its features buy pulling all the electronics out and making my own. Of course leaving in the motors and stuff like that and mybe the amp in him too. I wrote Woo Wee about other cartridges and still have not hear a peep from them its been 3 weeks now. Oh well he won't be Elvis when I get through with him. GWJax

Jeff Block
Jeff Block's picture

That sounds great, GWJax.  I can't wait to see your hack published.  Let me know when it's ready to go, and we'll feature it.

Rock on!

GWJax
GWJax's picture

Sure will Jeff. But what type of skin should I make. I was thinking about an old man with a little bit of senile going on. don't know yet. Any suggestions would be great.  The head I was making was of a lady that I life casted her face. I was making her into an old lady for halloween one year and needed a custom mask. Well I got a copy of the face and made a fiberglass head with moving eyes and mouth including the teeth that I also casted form her. I was just about to put all the servos in for controling of the parts until I saw the Elvis. It is perfect and all the hard work is done already so I stoped my head and said I'll use Elvis. Sorry Elvis lovers but the madness must go on. Plus at the price of 129.95 US at walmart is cheaper than the servos. Call me crazy but I think thats one heck of a deal. I'll let you know when I'm ready It will take a bit but I will have it too ya. GWJax

ps here is a pic of what I was doing.

GWJax
GWJax's picture

I'm pulling apart Elvis. Man I love that audio Amp circuit, the speakers look like they took Boes styles aproach in setting the speaker in a closed tube for greater sound travel. On the bottom base is where the main board, audio amp, and audio playback is located and everything else is in the head  except the 2 front photo sensors which are in hte jacket and are plugged in the Right and Left  shoulders. The jacket is secures by lockdown twist locks and the skin in about 1/4" thick so deskinning him should not be a problem. There is soo much room in the bust location you could put the shuttle in it "Not Really" but there is a lot of room for new circuits to add. More about Elvis will be comming soon with pics and yes I'm taking alot of pics.  GWJax

MrScott
MrScott's picture

I'd still like to see WowWee Alive offer up a Droid Head (Generic or Licensed).

The Automaton look would entice me more than The King. 

GWJax
GWJax's picture

A droid head, one easy way is to just remove the skin, I was thinking about puting LED's in the eys along with a photosensor instead of the jacket. A nice glowing effect would be creapy and cool at the same time. The more I look at elvis the more I want to change him. My wife thinks I'm crazy, boy is that an understatement!

GWJax
GWJax's picture

Oh I forgot to put this in the last post. I found a spot on the main board named ICE it looks to me tht is where they programed him this a joystick and other things, Does anyone know about an ICE program that WOW WEE uses?

MrScott
MrScott's picture

GWJax said: A droid head, one easy way is to just remove the skin, 

Or just pull off half the skin for something like this beauty. Surprised

Jeff Block
Jeff Block's picture

Okay, will definitely have nightmares tonight.

As to which face to use...  Anything would be cool.  Something comical, like a political figure or a character from Sesame Street.  Or, how about a Robosapien head!  :-)  Or, I like the C3P0 (droid) idea.

Lots of options.  Don't want to reign in your creativity.

Surprise us!

MrScott
MrScott's picture

That custom Terminator figure is a lot less scary than what lies beneath Elvis' skin.

Gizmodo diced one up. 

Nocturnal
Nocturnal's picture

GWJax said: Oh I forgot to put this in the last post. I found a spot on the main board named ICE it looks to me tht is where they programed him this a joystick and other things, Does anyone know about an ICE program that WOW WEE uses?

That would depend on what the chips are, if they are SunPlus, the protocol is propriatary, the command set is unknown, and there is no publicly available compiler for it. At least there wasn't in 2007, its 2008 now...

GWJax
GWJax's picture

I do think is is SunPlus but I'll have to make sure of it tonight.

GWJax
GWJax's picture

Yep it is a SunPlus chip and I can not find the Data Sheet for it chip # SPDS204A-HL012 but any way that chip looks to me like it is an HBridge for the motors. It does not matter anyways, I'm not going to use the main board, I'm am going to make my own with PIC and Basic Stamps and a lot of HBridges for the motor. Plus I will custom make a joystick to control and save the animation to an EEPROM and write a program in VBasic 6.0. Sorry I love PC's and not Mac. Thats what I have come to acustom too. By the way that pic I seen of the half eaten terminator would look cool but it would be Elvis with his face half burnt off. LOL When I get an article up for him it will be a very long one and might be better in stages. Because of showing you how to make a mold and sculpting it, then pouring in the silcone, Paint, Hair, Circuit building including connecting to a PC, Programing, Controling, ect. This will not be a simple LED mod but a full recreation of the product. and don't forget a removable skin to change the apperance whenever you want. I'll open a thread and keep all of you updated in the process.

GWJax

MrScott
MrScott's picture

I usually work on a smaller scale, namely 1:6. The molds and resins to do castings are a lot cheaper at that scale.

That's the scale of the shredded Terminator figure.

GWJax
GWJax's picture

Did You make the Molds and sculpt the heads? If so Great job. if not still Great JOB!

GWJax

MrScott
MrScott's picture

Not my sculpts, just my combination of sculpts and materials.

The endoskull on your right was cast in a latex glove mold I made of a keychain endoskull. I applied the the partial layer of muscle/flesh on it using tinted liquid latex applied directly to the resin skull.

The figure on your left is a store bought statue. I made a press mold of the face and used tinted liquid latex to make the life mask. 

The mask was then cut down, and glued to the latex coated endoskull. 

Nocturnal
Nocturnal's picture

GWJax said: Yep it is a SunPlus chip and I can not find the Data Sheet for it chip # SPDS204A-HL012 but any way that chip looks to me like it is an HBridge for the motors. 

SPDS range is an audio chip, designed to do audio playback and recording for another chip. WowWee occasionally uses chips for other than their intended purpose, but I doubt this one is being used as an H-Bridge chip. When WowWee doesn't use actual H-Bridges, they use a proper H-Bridge chip, I can't recall the manufacturer off the top of my head.