Leg servos

8 posts / 0 new
Last post
phatmatt
phatmatt's picture
Leg servos

Is there a way to move the leg/torso servos when the robot is being powered with the ac adapter. I hate wasting batteries and rechargables never seem to work as well. 

Nocturnal
Nocturnal's picture

Not at current. I still haven't figure out how he knows the difference.

Eastercla
Eastercla's picture

Get rechargables with the brand name JUICE.  Those things will have your robot moving like never before.

Gaza
Gaza's picture

When running on batteries the motor supply rail and the microprocessor supply rails have different voltages, 9V and 6 V respectively. When on an AC adaptor, both supply rails become the same, 7.5V if that is the adaptor you are using. RSMedia's main board detects either the difference between the two rails or the absolute voltage on the micro-p supply rail (not sure which) and uses this to determine when he's on batteries or AC adaptor.

If you are up for a bit of hacking you could probably add a couple of forward biased diodes to the power supply board in his foot to drop the micro-p supply rail back to around 6V when on adaptor. These can be added such that they would not affect the voltage when he's on batteries.

I have not tried this for fear that he will walk off the edge of the work bench by mistake.

RoboRoo
RoboRoo's picture

Hi i just had mine replaced under warrenty, and the latest or at least this one will walk on AC no probs.

Nocturnal
Nocturnal's picture

Walking on AC is bad, NOT walking on AC is a feature, probably intended to keep him from yanking on his cable. The fact yours walks while connected to AC suggests something is wrong either with your RS Media or the power supply you are using.

There is a small chance that WowWee made a design revision that for some reason enabled walking on AC, but I seriously doubt it. 

Sunbeamowner
Sunbeamowner's picture

Hey RoboRoo, my question to you is are you 100% sure that you are running on AC ?

RoboRoo
RoboRoo's picture

Yep my bad sorry, just sused mine out lagain ast night. my ac adaptor has a selector. move it to 6 and he will walk and up to 7.5 and he wont. best of both worlds really.. didnt realize the kids had flicked the switch around while waiting on the new one. anyways its all good. on 6 make sure hes not on a table and has a long cable 8)