Software Engineering RS Media

127 posts / 0 new
Last post
Donnie Darko
Donnie Darko's picture

if u plz tell me exactly where on the cd i can find the driver, and also the 1 of the development kit...
and tell me the driver name wuts gonna be named when done in the device manager
BTW im so thankful 4 all ur effort :)

Donnie Darko
Donnie Darko's picture

and wut is serial port hack and how it looks like and where 2 buy it and 4 how much ????
sry lot of question coz i just baught my rs media and u donno how much i payed 2 have it shipped 2 egypt and after all that i found out its the old version, grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr !!

TikaC
TikaC's picture

I do not know where on the CD-ROM the driver is. I think it installs when you install the software. You have to browse the CD-ROM to find it. I don't have the CD handy with me so I don't know where to look. Maybe others can help.

The serial port hack is not a package or something you can buy pre-made. There used to be instructions on Nocturnal's site but his site has been down for at least over a year and I don't know if it's on this forum.

I will leave it to others on the forum to answer your questions.

TikaC
TikaC's picture

I do not know where on the CD-ROM the driver is. I think it installs when you install the software. You have to browse the CD-ROM to find it. I don't have the CD handy with me so I don't know where to look. Maybe others can help.

The serial port hack is not a package or something you can buy pre-made. There used to be instructions on Nocturnal's site but his site has been down for at least over a year and I don't know if it's on this forum.

I will leave it to others on the forumto answer your questions.

Donnie Darko
Donnie Darko's picture

tnq so much Tikac 4 all of ur effort and time trying 2 help :), i really apreciated alot..

Donnie Darko
Donnie Darko's picture

i have HW virtual serial port, can that help 2 make me control my rsmedia over a softaware remote on my computer, but my rs media is v1 so can i control it over a remote with only a usb cable but with that HWvirtual serial port or still noway since i don have usbnet on my rsmedia????

TikaC
TikaC's picture

You can't do it unless you have a cable going from the RS Media's own serial port (which is inside the robot and not hooked up) to the computer. You need to do the hack on the RS Media side because it won't have any USB drivers installed at some point when you are doing the updates so it will not keep the connection open.

A direct connection between the RS Media and computer via the RS Media's own serial port inside the robot is required.

FreddyA
FreddyA's picture

Hi Donnie Darko, as far as using the RSMRemote by Vader, yes you can use it with the HWvirtual serial port. BUT when it comes to upgrading to the USBNet version you'll need the serial port hack.
There are a few flavors of the hack, the Nocturnal Bluetooth, the Propeller Plug USB, the XBee wireless or a converter serial wire. I wouldn't try any of the wireless serial hacks for the USBnet upgrade, that's why I haven't upgraded any of my v1s yet.
I am researching the wired version which is 3.3v level converter to PC serial to do Helibots Flash, so when I round up anything I'll post it.

SO the RSMremote by Vader NO, there is no need for serial port hack. The v1 to USBnet flash by Helibot, YES you need a wired serial port hack.

@TikaC, if there is any Serial Port Hack documentation I have/find I'll pass it on maybe it could be added to support the Development Kit.

Freddy

Donnie Darko
Donnie Darko's picture

tikac, freddy i donno how 2 tnq guys, really :), tnq u both 4 ur time and effort ... i still got a question 4 u Freddy, so i can use the remote via the normal usb, the 1 of vader, right ?!! if yes can u tell me how or is it gonna be 2 long and hard by typing?

FreddyA
FreddyA's picture

Hi Donnie Darko, no worries. It is pretty simple, get the serial port number from your virtual connection and edit the RSRemote to use that port. you can check if you have a connection by opening teraterm and if it connects using that port your good. The Development kit is the key to open the robot. Follow the directions in the Development kit for usb console 1.5 to get a connection started on your robot. Since yours is a v1, skip the driver removal part of the instructions and go on to the adding the driver to your pc and robot.

Freddy

TikaC
TikaC's picture

The USB console in the development kit will NOT work with upgrading the robot from v1 to v2. I just wanted to point that out. As I mentioned, the USB drivers, everything will be gone on the robot side and nothing will be running.

You need the hardware hack to access a part of the robot's permanent programming to run the proper things to get the upgrade done. You can not do this via the robot's USBNet or USB port since it will not be working during the upgrade.

Donnie Darko
Donnie Darko's picture

and also, i got a problem, each time i connect my rsm to the pc ( windows 7 )and it shows as a storage mass everytime i open it it takes like seconds and close again, it keeps restarting as if im putting the usb and remove it, even the autorun keeps restarting every seconds again and again, can any1 help ???

guys i really need help here, i tried 2 upgrade my es media to v2 but ofcaurse faild coz i got not serial hack, anyway since then even after i got its firnware and got it back like it was, 1 thing still nomatter wut i do doesnt change, like i said in previous, when i attache it 2 usb it keeps do wut i said be4, i really need help !!

Donnie Darko
Donnie Darko's picture

i tried formating, original firmware, nothing helped !!

TikaC
TikaC's picture

You mentioned all this in your previous posts. If you re-read the messages posted after your post, you'll see that you were given a few options to try. Also you may have problems because this robot may not be compatible with Windows 7.

Does your robot work ok without hooking it up to the computer? If not, then it might be that you messed up the robot's firmware when trying to upgrade it and that may also cause the problems you are experiencing.

FreddyA
FreddyA's picture

Donnie Darko, I have run into the usb connection being quite unstable. In my case I disabled autorun on the drive once it gave me enough time. most of the time now I remove the sd from the robot and do what I need to do on my pc card reader. Unfortunately the usb mode is flaky at best so I wouldn't spend time trying to fix that, it happens even in the v2. Hopefully there will someday be a entirely new OS for our RSMs.

Donnie Darko
Donnie Darko's picture

well yes Tikac i did but nothing helped that why i posted them again, and tnx 4 trying 2 help again ..

Freddy, i just needed 2 attach the rsmremote 2 it, anyway hopefully i find a solution and tnx 4 trying 2 help 2, i really like all of u guys :) and how helpful ur trying 2 be even 4 some1 u donno !!

Helibot
Helibot's picture

Hi DD,
Welcome to the forum.....sounds like you are not having much fun with your new RSMedia yet!!
You have stated that "each time i connect my rsm to the pc ( windows 7 )and it shows as a storage mass everytime i open it it takes like seconds and close again,". I havent heard of this problem before. I can think of three reasons why it maybe happening:-
1) Windows 7 is not compatible with the drivers. Try connecting your robot to a Vista or Win XP computer and see if it behaves the same. (As Tika suggested)
2) You are not starting the USB connection correctly. You need to connect the USB cable from the Robot to the PC, Then goto Robot Options menu and choose USB Mode. You can then open the Removable drive on the computer.
3) The SD card you are using is bad or corrupted or contains some other scripts (Like USBNCosole scripts?). Try starting up the robot WITHOUT the USB card. Then connect to the PC, start USB Mode and open the removable drive on the PC.
Does it work?

So please try the things in 1-3 above and let us know the results.
(There is a 4th option - that there is corruption on the files in RSMedia. We can talk about that if none of 1-3 above help!!.)

Also as Tika said - I can confirm 100% that you can only do the V1->V2 upgrade if you have the serial hack done (this requires opening the robot and soldering some wires on etc)

Also as Freddy said - the "standard RSMedia usb connection is quite unstable". I also dont use it either (instead I remove the SDCard each time and put it in my PC reader.)

Cheers
Helibot

TikaC
TikaC's picture

What is a rsmremote? The RS Media's remote control unit does not connect to the PC. However, the RoboRemote does. But, it does NOT come with software drivers which it NEEDS in order to operate on your computer. You have to go find the drivers for the RoboRemote on WowWee.com, which the link is given in the RoboRemote packaging.

The RoboRemote does not connect your robot to the PC and also cannot be used to upgrade your robot. It is only used to store commands on the RoboRemote which then sends it to your robot. These commands are limited to making the robot move in a certain way. It has nothing to do with being able to upgrade the robot. You can not run scripts from the Dev Kit on the RoboRemote and have it send it to the robot.

FreddyA
FreddyA's picture

RSMRemote is a nice piece of software Vader wrote to control RSM over serial (hack or virtual). http://www.robocommunity.com/download/17372/RSMRemote/
it is a taste of the RSMManager coming sometime in the future. I am a beta tester for RSMManager and it is AWESOME.

Donnie Darko
Donnie Darko's picture

disable the autorun solve the problem , tnx alot man, but i made something worse while trying 2 make rsremote work, i put on the rs media on baord memory the rsmedia personality but little differet coz i thought it will replace the default one, i needed that 4 the remote, anyway, since then, when i open the rs media without a memory card the screen keep showing the wowwee pic and don show anything else although the robot acts normaly in the control mode and when i press D it goes 2 arm mode and then thats it, i just hear the voice i told u the screen shows only wowwee pic, i cannot even connect it again 2 delete what i did, there is no media mode...anyway, i tried the firmware it always fix whatever i break, but it didnt this time, i tried the script thing on the sd card but still nothing fixed it...

TikaC
TikaC's picture

FreddyA - I guess I got confused. My bad. I didn't know Vader was working on that type of software. Sounds like something I'll want to check out at some point. Maybe by then RSMManager will be out.

Donnie Darko
Donnie Darko's picture

i really lost hope 2 c him working without sd card normally, i tried everything i can, can any1 help plz, i really gave up !!

Donnie Darko
Donnie Darko's picture

and also can any1tell me from where can i ge the old rsmedia pc suite that got the reset button ?!! maybe it can help in my situation ..

Donnie Darko
Donnie Darko's picture

i just wanna go on his on baord memory and i cant, it doesnt got a screen but wowwee and no media mode even if i pressed D

Donnie Darko
Donnie Darko's picture

helibot, i just saw ur answer now, didnt see it be4, tnx 4 the effort man, btw like i said the problem was solved by desabling the autorun
and maybe one of ur 3 steps but with me they were just fine,
so any ideas 4 the prob i have now ??

and also didnt u say once " So we should be able to make a script that can restore the root filesystem, the RSMedia default files and the default RSMedia personalities. Ie basically set the bot back to exactly how it came from the production line " can u still do that, i think it will help my rs media...

guys so sry 4 all, i know i asked 4 favors more than once and give nothing back but actually i know nothing in this linux 2 give :( , and i have the rsmedia 4 like a week and i still didnt enjoy it... anyway tnx 4 all and sorry 4 being such a bug :)))

Helibot
Helibot's picture

Hey DD,

I'm pretty sure we can get you going again, but first I need to be sure what the problem is. From your posts it sounds like you corrupted the personality files in the onboard user area. Is this right? (This area is what you see in the Removable Drive on the PC if you DONT use an SDCard. )

As I think you know you can reset this area using the 'restore' function in the older versions of RSMedia Suite software. I think I have a copy of version 1.2 that has a 'restore' button - but I dont think it runs on Win7 or Vista :-(

But I think I can write a script that will restore it for you. Have you by any chance run the 'firmware dump' scripts?
Also please confirm that the robot boots OK with the SD card installed?
So let me know about the above, then I can write a script that should work for you.

BTW If your robot boots OK with the SDCard then you could just continue using SDCard booting. Most people do most additions and experiments with the SDCard. Then if anything goes wrong you just pull the SDCard out and revert or change the files on the PC. This is safer cos you arent actually changing files on the robot, all the changes are made on teh SDCard which can always be read/modified by the PC.

Cheers
Helibot

TikaC
TikaC's picture

The RSMedia Suite 1.2 he should have on the CD-ROM that comes with the robot. And it does not run well or sometimes not at all on Vista, I know that for sure. I have downloaded and tried the updated version from WowWee's site and even that one doesn't run well and has problems running at all in Vista.

If he has Windows 7 version with Virtual XP mode, he will need to be in that XP mode to get the RSMedia Suite to run reliably.

Donnie Darko
Donnie Darko's picture

Helibot,
tnk u so much 4 taking my problem that serious, i really really apreciate that alot :)

"From your posts it sounds like you corrupted the personality files in the onboard user area"

thats right but remember, after i formated the robot, there was no personality at all, the folder personality was empty, so its me who made the rsmedia/macros/CONANIM01/Bodycon1.sh folders and file manually, i didnt mess with the original rsmedia coz i even cannot reach it, its on the part that never get erased and don be shown from normal cable, im sure u know about that more than me..

about the rsmedia suite i have another computer with XP, its not working 100% fine but it deserves the try

yeah i did run the 'firmware dump' scripts and still got the files..

and yes the robot works perfectly with the sd card, i just hate 2 know that he wont work on his onboard memory, it makes feel that hes broken, i would love 2 c it like it 1st came !!

but still if we couldnt solve the problem, ur right about the sd card thing..

tnk u very much Helibot nomatter wut happens :))

Donnie Darko
Donnie Darko's picture

Tikac

tnx 4 the information, i think i may begin with the rsmedia pc suite 1.2

btw, from where did u get it, i tried alooooot, and i don have it on my cd, i have an exact model of it, but there is no restore button where it supposes 2 be, i saw pic so i know where it supposes 2 be, but its not

TikaC
TikaC's picture

How did you get an "exact modelof it"? The CD-ROM that comes with the RSMedia has the program on it. I don't have it handy to go look where exactly right now so I'll leave it up to other members to help you find where to look on the CD-ROM.

Pages