Software Engineering RS Media

127 posts / 0 new
Last post
Donnie Darko
Donnie Darko's picture

Helibot

well i got the rsmedia pc suite 1.2, but like u know i can only connect 2 the pc while the sd card is in the rsmedia, so when i click restore, whatever it does, it does it 2 the sd card, doesnt get 2 the robot onboard memory where the problem exists ( where i made the rsmedia folder ), so still nothing works 4 that little man !!

regards

Helibot
Helibot's picture

Donnie Darko said: Helibot well i got the rsmedia pc suite 1.2, but like u know i can only connect 2 the pc while the sd card is in the rsmedia, so when i click restore, whatever it does, it does it 2 the sd card, doesnt get 2 the robot onboard memory where the problem exists ( where i made the rsmedia folder ), so still nothing works 4 that little man !! regards

Hey DD,

I thought that may happen......but dont despair cos I got a script for you now!!. It should work - I tested it on my RSMedia tonight. Bit of an adventure actually cos I tried to use the RSMedia Suite 1.2 to restore my personalities to default - but first time it corrupted 2/3 personalities on the Onboard Memory. So I had to format it with Windows and try again...worked OK the second time!. 

Anyway I now have a script and a set of files that you (or anyone else) can use to reinitialise the Onboard Memory area and install the 3 default personalities.

Download the files from this link. Then follow the steps in instructions.txt.  Hope it works for you.

Cheers

Helibot

Donnie Darko
Donnie Darko's picture

Helibot,

Man, i cant thank u enough :), finally i got the robot working fine without the sd card, again i really really donno how 2 tnq ...
i hope i could help u 2 in something u need, if i can, just tell me :)

my regards

Donnie Darko
Donnie Darko's picture

hello everyone

i wonder did any1 ever think be4 2 crack the rsm in a way 2 make him work on adaptor like he works on batt, i mean walks and sleep and stand up and these things, if he can does it on the adaptor 2 it would be so interesting, or that cannot be done ever ?!!

TikaC
TikaC's picture

I think the #1 reason that they didn't design him that way is because the robot might trip over and/or damage the electrical cord, and possibly cause a shock or fire hazard.

Donnie Darko
Donnie Darko's picture

i know ur 100% right Titac, but thats if a child whos playing with him, but since we are not we can take care of never leaving him of going that far .

also its not 2 make him walk, coz nomatter how long is the wire it wont be long enough, but 2 see him grab things from the floor and leaning and doing his full actions..

anyway thats just an opinion, but ur the expert man :) !!

TikaC
TikaC's picture

I agree with you wholly on that one! I think that they limited a bit too much with the A/C adapter plugged in. He has no movement below the torso at all. They should have just disabled the walking and sitting functions.

Helibot
Helibot's picture

Hi DD and Tika,
I agree that it could be useful and dangerous!!
It's actually easy todo but comes with some dangers.
How todo it? - Use a power power adaptor less than 7V. The robot sensors the power source voltage and decides if its on batteries or not. If the voltage is greater than about 7V then the robot will think its a power pack and he WONT use his legs , if the voltage is lower than 7V then he thinks he is on battries and WILL use his legs.

The dangers - When he is moving and walking is is using more power, I guess a lot more!! So that means you need a bigger power adapter. I am not sure how big though , but I know its more than 3 amps (cos my bench power supply goes to 3 amps and it will start current limiting a few seconds after he starts to walk). I guess you would need at least 5 amps. There may also be a danger that the wiring from the power adapter plug may not be upto handling 5 Amps (cos Wowwee designed it for 3 amps). But I am not sure about that!!

If anyone tries it then I would be interested to know how it goes. I think I would like to be able to have some more movement while he is on AC power. He could then do more leaning and picking up movements. But for me there would be a danger he goes to full walk mode and walks off my desk!!

Cheers
Helibot

Donnie Darko
Donnie Darko's picture

Helibot

well actually i don have the original ac adaptor of wowwee coz i couldnt get it at all, so i searched the net and after a while i found one in china with 5/6/7.5/9/11/12/15V on 3.5 amp, and its working fine, so i can reduce the voltage to 6 for ex but it still gonna be on only 3.5 amp not 5 like said and at the same time, im alittle affraid 2 make it work on a lower voltage than its need, so wut do u think ? wut do i do 2 try ur idea and also is there a possiblity 2 hurt the robot 4 good ?!!

Helibot
Helibot's picture

Hey DD,
Here are some further ideas/comments:
1) The most current is drawn when he is moving lots of limbs at the same time. Walking will take a lot of current since lots of motors moving at once.
Moving joints that have a lot of weight also takes a lot of current (eg when doing the sitting up thing and the waist moves the whole upper body.
But bending left/right & picking up/ dropping will probably not be too bad, maybe that will be under 3.5 Amps. So its probably worth a try.

1) draw too much current from your 3.5 Amp adapter will likely cause one of three actions -
a) it may supply some more current (but get quite warm)
b) it may blow a fuse and stop working or
c) the voltage will start dropping off, if the voltage drops too far RS Media will complain about low batteries, power down or reset.

3) If you have got a multimeter you could put it inline with you power supply (in current mode) so you can see how much he uses. Then try some diffeent movements and see if he goes over 3.5 Amps.

4) Damaging the robot?
As previously said its possible that the AC supply cctry or wiring is not designed to take more than 3.5 Amps. I havent got a robot open at the moment so I cant check anything. Things to look at are ratings on the wires themselves and also the rating on the voltage regulator. I guess the same voltage regulator is used for the batteries and the AC power so its probably rated OK. I havent got a robot open at the moment so cant do any chekcing? Anyone else know about this? Maybe previously posted photos can help.

Just had another idea though.....you can get Lithium Polemer batteries (LiPo) now that are 7.4 volts and upto 2000mA 20C - which means they could deliver 40Amps (for short periods) so they could easily handle 5Amps for RSMedia. I have a 1300mA one for a RC Plane - maybe I could wire an AC adapter plug to it plug it into him. (I could also then strap it too his leg and still have him mobile)......but since it would be over 7 volts he would still think he is on AC power and would move his legs.... Rats , that idea was sounding promising for a second!

Cheers
Helibot

Donnie Darko
Donnie Darko's picture

Helibot

well actually after all wut u said and after the risks i think i prefer not 2 go through all that now :)) , i thought there would be some script or something 2 do that, but i think there is not then !! but really tnx as always 4 trying 2 help man !!

FreddyA
FreddyA's picture

Hello Donnie Darko, just wanted to add a bit here about using a power adapter. I have been using a 7.5v 1amp adadpter on one RSM I use specifically running Helibots RSMalarmclock and animated bodycons for over a year now 24/7 with no problems. Also, I have used a 6.5 volt adapter on an RSM and that seems to work well enough to let him walk normally while plugged in with no damage. I took the risk becasue I could see myself buying bulk batteries from costco and didnt want to continue down that road. I made a RSM rechargeable battery pack mod which works great and regular rechargeabes for my other RSMs so I'm saving money everyday using power I collect from the sun.

Freddy

Freddy

Donnie Darko
Donnie Darko's picture

well very interesting freddy, so wut do u think should i try the 6v coz that wuts be4 the 7.5 on my adapter, so would i try it or 6v is far??

FreddyA
FreddyA's picture

Well, try at your own risk (like I do everyday haha) My adapter is 6.5 volts 2.5amps and today I had him walking around a while on the cord. Give it a go and if you do try to walk just be close by to pull the power off but I think he will be fine at 6v. How many amps does the adapter provide? I would say anything below 1amp is to low for walkin but individual movements will work fine IMO.

Tel me how it goes if you do try.

Freddy

Helibot
Helibot's picture

Hey Guys,
Here is some info about current that he uses (as best as I can test anyway!)
I run my RSM for a bench supply (with adjustable volts and max current of 2.5Amps.) It has current limiting (which means that if it draws over 2.5 Amps it will limit the voltage so current doesn't go over 2.5Amps. ) Its got a current meter on it as well.
When I use RSMedia I can see his idle current consumption (at 7.5V) is about 300mA.
Raising both arms takes just over 1 Amp.
Lowering both arms is about 800mA.
Twisting head (with fingers being pullded) is just over 1 Amp.
Startup movement & dance (without legs) uses usually between 1-2 Amps.
Doing the demo dance (without moveing his legs) changes rapidally b/n 800 and 1.5 Amps , but he does peak at times to greater than 2.5Amps (but only momentarily.)
If I drop the voltage to 6.5V - he thinks he is on batteries and will try to walk. If I leave him on the desk he resets immediately I start the walk (because he draws > 2.5 Amps and voltage is dropped by my power supply).
If I lift him up in the air (this causes less load on his motors therefore less current) I can make him start walking or turning but he usually resets after a few seconds. Before the reset hes usually drawing 1.5Amps or more.
My guess is that when he starts a movement it takes a lot of current 9to get the motor to speed and get the limb moving. But then the current requirements probably drop off.
So I guess the average current consumption for walking maybe about 3Amps but there maybe some momentary peaks above 4 Amps. Some power supplies can easily supply much higher current for a short time.

Well thats all I can tell you for now. Wish I had a bigger power supply to test further :-(.

Cheers
Helibot

Donnie Darko
Donnie Darko's picture

freddy and helibot,

well i did it and switched my power supply to 6v. and yeah he did it 2, hes walking dancing with all his body garbing things from the floor and guess wut, sleeping and get back on his feet, so fun hehe, anyway he does all that but sometimes he works slowly when hes 4 ex getting back on his feet, but that was np at all, its just like if he needs new batt coz the old one is getting empty but still working, by the way, my power supply is 3.5 amp..

so badly i cannot do like u helibot and say exactly how much amp he needs when hes getting on his feet although that would be useful i know, all i can say that hes working fine on 3.5 amp on 6v and i guess it would be better on a bit more Voltage... also i took the batteries off him coz i thought they r just making him heavier in walking and especially in walking on reverse, so yeah it made a diff only one thing happened though, when he was garbing something from the floor he felt like a baby :))) on his face coz yeah hes not suppose 2 do that with empty legs with no batt that give him more stability, but it was so funny :)), i wish i was little useful

tnq both guys :)

Helibot
Helibot's picture

Hey DD,
Cool, glad hes working well. Others have mentioned that he needs the weight of the feet batteries to walk. (In fact there have been reports that he doesnt walk as well with rechargeables - cos they are lighter?)
Its great to know that 3.5Amps is OK for walking. But if it was me I would not do the lie down/sit up moves with you power supply. This will draw a lot more current for quite a few seconds - its the most likely thing to damage your powersupply (or robot?)!!.
Another thing you can check is to feel the power supply after a walking session - make sure its not getting too hot.

>i wish i was little useful
What do you mean? - you have just proved that walking is possible on AC power thats a great achievement!!

Cheers
Helibot

Donnie Darko
Donnie Darko's picture

well tnq u so much helibot, and freddy 2, hes the one who was doing it ages be4 me, anyway ok then, i wont do the sleep and get up thing then, yeah ur right it really needs lot of power so he really can get broken or something !!

Donnie Darko
Donnie Darko's picture

hello there everyone

well im trying 2 use the rsmremote but my rsmedia is v1 so im using it through hw vertual, anyway everything works fine till i connect the robot it tells me this on the rsmedia console :

BusyBox v0.60.5 (2005.11.28-10:41+0000) Built-in shell (ash)
Enter 'help' for a list of built-in commands.

sh: can't access tty; job control turned off
/tmp/redirect

and wut makes me keep trying really alot and even google it is that onetime it actually worked although i didnt do much different from usual...
ofcaurse the time it worked it kept writing other things then the previous msg, but i donno why it never worked again..

anyway if anyone can help plz do...

regards

Donnie Darko
Donnie Darko's picture

also where 2 put the files of AUTONOMYV1 made by Freddy ?? how 2 make it work???

FreddyA
FreddyA's picture

Hi Donnie Darko, there should be a readme.txt file with that macro. Put the AutonomyV1 folder in the application folder and set up Helibots rsmappmenu to start the autonomy.sh file. Also you could set a bodycon to start the file but I've had better results starting from the rsmappmenu. As far as the rsmremote, I'd try starting from scratch copy all the file again and set up usb console, then move on to setting up the rsmremote. Also try out the flite 1.3 text to speech on that rsmremote, but yull need to set up tts by helibot for that also.

Freddy

Donnie Darko
Donnie Darko's picture

well tnx alot freddy

i did the autonomyv1 thing witch btw doesnt come with a txt file although i download it normally !! anyway, i made the empty slot number 8 in rsmappmenu config.ini 2 open the autonomy.sh file, is that right, is this way will make the other files in the autonomyv1 folder work 2? anyway i tried it and its fun and i tried also 2 put him down and he got his self up, this is brilliant, just got a question though, does he say
" i will find u my master " really alot so i had doubt that maybe i did something wrong, btw im working in Vadersapien personality, so does he say that often or wut ? also i made lot of effort 2 find out that i must change the ini file of the rsmappmenu :), u didnt mention it and im not as pro as u r :)

tnx alot freddy, i really apreciate alot all wut ur doin and ur even doing it 4 free u and Helibot, i really got lot of respect 4 u guys :)

FreddyA
FreddyA's picture

Hi Donnie Darko, I thought I had updated that download with a readme, sorry about that. glad you figured it out. The autonomy.sh file is all you need to start, and he does say tracking human (or in vadersapien personality, "I will find you master") as the macro is a follow human and take picture, video so there is nothing wrong. I simply mute the robot when it gets annoying. I figured you would figure out how each program works on its own and in combination with other programs.

Freddy

Donnie Darko
Donnie Darko's picture

hello there

well about the

/tmp/redirect

nothing worked, does any1 have an idea ??

Helibot
Helibot's picture

Hi DD,

The lines

BusyBox v0.60.5 (2005.11.28-10:41+0000) Built-in shell (ash) Enter 'help' for a list of built-in commands.

are expected.

But the line
/tmp/redirect
looks wrong.

I guess you are using USB console? Are you starting it from rsuppdateapp or from a Bodycon script or other?

Can you paste an extract of the script that you are using to start it? (actually copy the one off your SDCard as I want to check there are no incorrect characters in it).

Cheers

Helibot

Donnie Darko
Donnie Darko's picture

hey helibot,

well yes i use USB console, i start it from bodycon

but i don understand exactly wut do u need a paste from :(( , excuse me !!

FreddyA
FreddyA's picture

Hi Donny Darko, let me jump in to help while i'm here. Tthe file helibot wants to check out is inside the rsupdate folder called rsupdateapp. Open that file with a text editor and copy and paste the text here so Helibot can take a look at it. It will look something like this but not exactly as mine has a set of specific lines to change baud rate for my xbee radio.

Freddy

Example:

echo "1" > /tmp/state/scriptrun
/usr/bin/robot/pipe /tmp/robot_pipe 9 2 0 0 0
#rsupdateapp SCRIPT TO MAKE THE ROBOT BOOT AS NORMAL AND CHANGE CONSOLE SPEED
#by Helibot
#(This just completes all the commands done at the end of etc/profile)
#So the robot should boot up exactly as if he booted with running rsupdateapp
#This version then changes the console speed to 57600

mkdir /tmp/state
touch /tmp/state/RSM_CAMERA_BLUE_HIT_VAR
touch /tmp/state/RSM_CAMERA_GREEN_HIT_VAR
touch /tmp/state/RSM_CAMERA_HUMAN_HIT_VAR
touch /tmp/state/RSM_CAMERA_RED_HIT_VAR
touch /tmp/state/RSM_CAMERA_BLACK_HIT_VAR
touch /tmp/state/RSM_GAUNTLET_L_I_VAR
touch /tmp/state/RSM_GAUNTLET_L_O_VAR
touch /tmp/state/RSM_GAUNTLET_R_I_VAR
touch /tmp/state/RSM_GAUNTLET_R_O_VAR
touch /tmp/state/RSM_FOOT_L_B_VAR
touch /tmp/state/RSM_FOOT_L_F_VAR
touch /tmp/state/RSM_FOOT_R_B_VAR
touch /tmp/state/RSM_FOOT_R_F_VAR
touch /tmp/state/RSM_GRIPPER_R_VAR
touch /tmp/state/RSM_GRIPPER_L_VAR
touch /tmp/state/RSM_IR_TRIGGER_L_D_VAR
touch /tmp/state/RSM_IR_TRIGGER_L_L_VAR
touch /tmp/state/RSM_IR_TRIGGER_L_R_VAR
touch /tmp/state/RSM_IR_TRIGGER_S_D_VAR
touch /tmp/state/RSM_IR_TRIGGER_S_L_VAR
touch /tmp/state/RSM_IR_TRIGGER_S_R_VAR
touch /tmp/state/RSM_SOUND_CENTER_VAR
touch /tmp/state/RSM_SOUND_LEFT_VAR
touch /tmp/state/RSM_SOUND_RIGHT_VAR
touch /tmp/state/AUTOTRACK_POSITION_VAR
touch /tmp/state/BC_AUDIOPLAYER_VAR
touch /tmp/state/BC_IMAGEVIEWER_VAR
touch /tmp/state/BC_TAKEMOVIE_VAR
touch /tmp/state/BC_VIDEOPLAYER_VAR
touch /tmp/state/BC_AUTOTRACK_VAR
touch /tmp/state/BC_JAVA_VAR
touch /tmp/state/BC_TAKEPICTURE_VAR
touch /tmp/state/mp3_state
touch /tmp/state/sleep_state
touch /tmp/curvol
touch /tmp/state/linein_state
touch /tmp/state/usb_state

echo ***Changing console speed to 57600**
/mnt/sd/Application/ttysetspeed /dev/console 57600

echo ***rsupdateapp - starting /usr/bin/robot/run.sh**

/usr/bin/robot/init_sd.sh

#Helibot - calling new run.sh to use new graphics from the /mnt/sd/icons directory
/mnt/sd/rsupdate/run2.sh

if [ -f /tmp/SD_EXIST ]; then
/bin/mount /dev/mmc /mnt/sd -o ro,remount
else
/bin/mount /dev/nand3 /mnt/sd -o ro,remount
fi
#/usr/bin/robot/mediadaemon&
#/usr/bin/robot/start_robot_main&

#Helibot added the commands below to setup the USB Console link
echo ***Installing USB Console shell**
/sbin/rmmod mx1ads_usbd
/bin/mknod -m 777 /tmp/ttyUSB c 188 0
/sbin/insmod /mnt/sd/Application/mx1ads_usbserial.o
ln -s /bin/sh /tmp/redirect
/tmp/redirect /tmp/ttyUSB 2 echo ***Finished Installing USB Console shell**

#When this script finished the /etc/profile will go into a forever loop.
#So lets start another shell.
sh

/usr/bin/robot/pipe /tmp/robot_pipe 9 2 1 0 0
echo "0" > /tmp/state/scriptrun

Donnie Darko
Donnie Darko's picture

actually i was using a bodycon 2 access the console, but i got the file rsupdateapp so i put it in the rsupdate folder and i tried it only got me the same error but without the tmp thing, here wut i got

ash
#

and here is the past of the rsupdateapp like Helibot said :

#rsupdateapp SCRIPT TO MAKE THE ROBOT BOOT AS NORMAL
# It will then also install the USB console driver

mkdir /tmp/state
touch /tmp/curvol
touch /tmp/state/scriptrun

/usr/bin/robot/run.sh

else
fi

/sbin/rmmod mx1ads_usbd
/tmp/redirect /tmp/ttyUSB 2 echo ***Finished Installing USB Console shell**

sh

Helibot
Helibot's picture

Hello DD, I can see a problem with the rsupdateapp script. you have the line

/tmp/redirect /tmp/ttyUSB 2<&1 &
echo ***Finished Installing USB Console shell**

Where the lines should be
/tmp/redirect < /tmp/ttyUSB > /tmp/ttyUSB 2<&1 &

But this could have been caused when you pasted it into the thread.
So please carefully check the line above against your version in rsupdateapp script.
(When you paste into Robocummunity thread it can treat some text as html tags. But if you goto the 'advanced editor' and then paste it wont do this.)

Let me know if this fixes the problem or not.  If not then also tell me what terminal program you are using on the PC?  Is it Terraterm?

Cheers Helibot

Donnie Darko
Donnie Darko's picture

• well yeah when i edit it on my laptop with script editor it was exactly like ur line not like the 1 i paste it 1st, ill show u now with the advanced editor in here:
  •  

#rsupdateapp SCRIPT TO MAKE THE ROBOT BOOT AS NORMAL
    # It will then also install the USB console driver

mkdir /tmp/state
    touch /tmp/curvol
    touch /tmp/state/scriptrun

/usr/bin/robot/run.sh

else
    fi

/sbin/rmmod mx1ads_usbd
    /tmp/redirect < /tmp/ttyUSB > /tmp/ttyUSB 2<&1 &

sh

• so wut else do u think i should try, and yes im using terraterm ..

Pages