Software Engineering RS Media

127 posts / 0 new
Last post
Donnie Darko
Donnie Darko's picture

btw, maybe this is something that can help, the problem after i open the terraterm and virtual serial port driver 7 ( or hw virtual ) and the remote is that when i click anything on the remote i can see that the virtual serial is always sending but never receiving and the one time it worked long time ago ofcaurse it was sending and receiving !!

Helibot
Helibot's picture

Hi DD,
   Sounds like you are missing communication in one direction??

Can you try with just the USB console and Terraterm?
Boot the robot with the rsupdateapp script then run USB console and terraterm (see http://www.robocommunity.com/download/17231/RSMedia-USBConsole/ for full instructions  - I guess you may already have this?).
   Anyway you should end up with a terra term window and a dos window (which will be minimised).
   Maximise the dos window and put it beside the Terra term window. In the teraterm window type date and hit enter. If all is working you should see this in Terraterm:-
+USB2TCP v1.0.0
#

BusyBox v0.60.5 (2005.11.28-10:41+0000) Built-in shell (ash)
#date
Thu Jan  1 00:01:13 UTC 1970
#

And something like this in the dos window:-

See how there are both read and write happening. In fact every time you type a characters in terraterm you should see write and reads in the dos window.

Can you do the same test and lets see what your says?

Cheers

Helibot

Donnie Darko
Donnie Darko's picture

they both say exactly like urs, all wut u wrote happened exactly here with the same numbers !! so ??

Helibot
Helibot's picture

So that means that RSMedia and your robot are communicating correctly. Just to confirm this you can type some other commands into Terraterm window and see that the robot responds. Type 'ls' and hit return (You should see a list of files be shown in the terraterm window)). Type 'ps' and hit return (you should see a list of processes be shown in the terraterm window)

So if that works we can assume that the robot and your PC are communicating correctly. So the issue must be with the RSremote or "virtual serial port driver 7 ( or hw virtual )".
I assume you are using the the virtual serial port to convert from the USB driver to a virtual serial port. Therefore you should be able to run the USBConsole (as you were above). Then close Teraterm (but leave the dos window open). Then start the virtual serial port dirver. Then start terraterm BUT connect to the virtual serial port (port 7 I think you said?). Once connected you should be able to type the same commands (ie date, ls, ps) and see the same responses. If this doesnt work then the virtual serial port is not setup/working correctly. If this does work then RSRemote mustnt be connecting with the virtual serial port correctly.

Cheers
Helibot

Donnie Darko
Donnie Darko's picture

ok, ill try 2 exactly tell u wut happens here 2 make it easier on u 2 know where is the issue,

everything u said above work just fine, and they work fine from the 1st time i have tried the remote, one thing gives me an error though,

when i open the hw virtual i c in virtual serial port tab under the LAN status its always written error, even when i delete the port and recreate it, it writes connecting and then error, and that happens all the time, and when i hit connect on the remote it the vsp ( hw serial )writes opened and other stuff under it, but still after i hit connect on the remote the vsp shanges like im saying but the LAN writes connection and again back 2 error,

by the way im using port 3 coz other than that the remote wont open and if i change the port in the hw serial when i hit open on the remote nothing will change in it(hw serial) so com3 is working fine( i changed in the ini file in the remote folder 2 com3 ofcaurse but u must guessed that already )

the the problem is that its always written error under LAN in hw virtual nomatter wut, btw the way, i changed the ip address in hw serial into 127.0.0.1 coz the one time it worked i was doing it this way, so is that right ?

anyway i uplaoded a pic 4 u 4 all of them running 2gether maybe u will notice something.btw it maylook little weird coz i have 2 screens :) and 1 smaller than the other .

Helibot
Helibot's picture

Hi DD,
  Thanks for the picture...it sort of helps - its too small to see any detail though :-(.
  Are you trying to run USBConsole (with Teraterm) at the same time as RSMremote?
Because it wont work! (only one thing can connect to usb2tcp.exe at once.)
(BTW 'usb2tcp.exe' is the program running in the dos screen when USBConsole is running)

You will get "Connecting...Error" if there is no TCP connection available (which can occur if usb2tcp.exe is not running OR if Terraterm is already connected.)

127.0.0.1 or localhost should work fine.
COM3 should be fine. But you should be able to use any COM number? I tried 7 and its OK.

Here is the sequence I used to get it going.
(try this and let me know where yours goes wrong).

• Powerup Robot (with RSUpdateapp to start the USB console)
  • Plug in the USBCable (and wait for the USB device to be found)
  • Start the USBConsle and use Teraterm to check it is working.
  • Now CLOSE teraterm.(but leave the dos window open)
  • Now Start the Virtual Serial Port. (And press 'Create com' if needed).
      It should connect straight away and the dos window should show:
       bridge.c: Accepted connection from 127.0.0.1
  • Start RSMRemote and press Connect
    When you press a button you should see read and writes happening in the usb2tcp.exe window AND you should see the TX and RX counters go up (VSP and LAN counters should go up, Queue will go up then go back to zero again.)

hopefully this will work for you, if not let me know what happens at which steps. 

Cheers

Helibot

Pages