usb connection

6 posts / 0 new
Last post
andycan
andycan's picture
usb connection

Hi all

GOT A NEW RS MEDIA YESTERDAY THE ROBOT WORKS FINE BUT WHEN I TRY CONNECT IT TO THE USB CONNECTION THE SOFTWARE DOES NOT RECONISE THAT THE ROBOT IS THERE ALSO AS SOON AS I PLUG THE RS MEDIA INTO THE COMPUTER VIA USB THE SCREEN ON THE ROBOT FREEZES AND I CANT NAVIGATE THE MENUS.

I HAVE AN SD 1GB CARD IN THE ROBOT AND FOLLOW ALL THE INSTRUCTIONS TO CONNECT IT TO THE COMPUTER BUT KEEP RUNNING INTO THIS SAME PROBLEM WHEN I FINALLY DID MANAGE TO PLUG THE USB CABLE IN AND MANAGE TO GET THE MENU SYSTEM TO USB MODE I GOT AN ERROR MESSAGE ON MY COMPUTER WHEN I TRIED TO GO IN TO THE SOFTWARE TO TRANSFARE MUSIC FILES THE ERROR MESSAGE READS

"AN UNHANDLED EXCEPTION HAS ACCURED IN YOUR APPLICATION"

AND THEN IT GOES INTO A DETAILED REPORT ABOUT THE DEBUGGING SYSTEM IN THE RS MEDIA I HAVE EMAILED THIS REPORT TO WOW WEE BUT NO REPLY YET .

ANY BODY ANY IDEAS OR SHOULD I JUST RETURN IT TO WHERE I BOUGHT IT.

THANKS ANDY 

Sepulchral
Sepulchral's picture

What operating system are you using on your comp?

andycan
andycan's picture

Hi

The operating system im using is windows xp i have 1024mb ram i update and restart my computer often and 2.1 is the version of the software im using i also have tried the previous version but same result.

Im thinking it has to be some software problem in the robot as everything else i use from the usb ports works no problem ie. psp, mp3 player, digital camera, etc.

any comments appreciated

thanks Andy

NataZ
NataZ's picture

Hello Andycan, I had the same problem with my RS Media, I tried 3 diferent computers with no success then I decided to connect it to my old Laptop and it works fine, it seems that the RS Media has problems with USB 2 ports but works fine on USB 1.1, it's slow but works. What I do is put the SD card on a reader and use it on any of my computers with USB 2, it's a lot faster the only inconvinience is that you have to remove the card from RS Media and put it in the reader. Well and if you dont have a reader Tongue out, I paid like $5 for mine.

I contacted Wowwee tech support but they only sent me a list of the same steps the manual has so it was no help. If you have access to another computer I would sugest you test it there before you send the robot back cause if it's the same incompatibility problem I had the new one will also have the same problem.

Hope this helps...

TTUL8r

andycan
andycan's picture

Thanks mate i think im gona return it to the shop both my computers have usb 2 ports i dont think its worth the bother think ill just wait for the new wave of robots from wow wee .

thanks again

Andy

BigKid
BigKid's picture

Yep, using USB 1.1 was a huge mistake. I mentioned this problem several times but they never acknowleged it. USB 1.1 devices should work on USB 2.0 PC's (slowly) but I think there is a hardware defect in the product or it doesn't meet the correct USB specifications. The other way around it is to connect the robot via a USB 2.0 hub.