Just got mine!

7 posts / 0 new
Last post
greenfly
greenfly's picture
Just got mine!

I finally broke down and got a dragonfly (radio shack had a $10 off sale).  I expressed interest in it after getting my brother one for his birthday a couple of weeks back.  When I first got it and tried flying inside, I was a bit dissapointed (and was starting to wish I had gotten the mosquito indoor heli instead).  But after taking it outdoors, I was amazed with the performance.  I can't believe how easily this thing can climb!  I found myself getting nervous about getting stuck in trees very quickly: which finally happened today, but fortunately after a few luck throws with a stick, I managed to loosen it up enough to have it flap out.  Anyways, just want to say how awesome this clever piece of engineering is. 

P.S.  Has anyone tried dog fighting with these things yet?  I'm hoping to try it out against my brother's soon.  I'll post how it goes!

Currahee
Currahee's picture

don't end up like Vick!!

Sepulchral
Sepulchral's picture

Wrong type of dog fighting Currahee!

I have tried it a couple of times, and have seen it done by other people. It is very cool, although the learning curve for that seems to be longer then trying to fly the damn thing!:)

FYI, you will probably break the wings more often then not while dog fighting:) 

Currahee
Currahee's picture

duh!!!! Sepulchral,  you done it all haven't you

Sepulchral
Sepulchral's picture

and got the t-shirt too!

Currahee
Currahee's picture

so what!!

skyotter
skyotter's picture

i love Dragonfly fights!  we've found a few different ways to do it

the easiest concept is one of the hardest to pull off -- physical contact, acutally trying to knock the other DF out of the air.  i have several victories, but only one "kill" where i tore the other DF's wings (i replaced them, heh).  oh, and many ties when the DFs lock and crash together ... like the bald eagles' mating dance

slightly easier, but not quite as satisfying, is ribbon tag -- use the tail-ribbons, and try to tag the other guy's.  it's a little easier to pull off, and there's less potential damage to the wings, but isn't quite as exciting (a variation is to have "it" without a ribbon, giving a speed advantage, but that requires landing to swap ribbons after each tag)