Wont fly higher than 3 meters!(help please)

12 posts / 0 new
Last post
IcyFlame
IcyFlame's picture
Wont fly higher than 3 meters!(help please)

I got my dragonfly yesterday and i was flying it outside(with no wind)then I noticed it doesnt go high like i saw in many videos,with full throttle it doesnt go higher so please tell me what to do.

Sepulchral
Sepulchral's picture

Which df is it? the Blue or Green DF? You might have gotten one of those "perfectly" balanced DFs that I have been hearing some people to have received! Im very jealous!

IcyFlame
IcyFlame's picture

Blue dragonfly...

milw
milw's picture

Here's what I'd do:

Check for stiffness in the wing action- a tiny drop of light oil on the joints may help
Remove the tail ribbon
Try swapping the wings for the spare set

Our green DF has always out-performed the blue ones, I'm sorry to say :(

Good luck & welcome to the community!

cheers- Scott 

demisemiquaver
demisemiquaver's picture

I've noticed that the "real" flight time for these is about 2 minutes, during the first 2 minutes after charge you can actually climb and gain altitude without a breeze...but after this, unless there is a breeze you are not going to gain any altitude and are just making slow sprial-down circles. Thus, the claim that it flies for 7 minutes is very misleading since the battery (thus the wings) lose power slowly over the whole charge..instead of a steady voltage the entire time. This is normal but it's not near a real 7 minutes of flight time. I have been told to fly it without the tail but frankly my green dragonfly won't fly without the tail outdoors. (I have only flown it outdoors) and I've tried every trick I can think of to make it climb..more throttle, less throttle, jigging the stick back and fourth..nothing works, it just spirals down. If somebody can share the grand trick of flying without the tail I'd like to hear it.

skyotter
skyotter's picture

i get high-flying flights of 7-8 minutes all the time, even if i charged the DF days ago  *shrug*

but i've noticed sometimes, while flying outdoors, there's some kind of "layer" in the air that the DF doesn't want to climb past.  not sure what to do about that, other than wait for the weather to change

BigKid
BigKid's picture

In ideal conditions I can also fly high for most of the battery life. Dies off near the end. I have noticed that performance/balance varies between DF's, mine is good though and its green :-) To climb steadily I don't use full throttle. I find the throttle sweet spot (about 1/2-2/3 throttle for me) where it flies steady in a straight line without undulating (if it's bobbing it won't climb). It should gradually climb, I only increase to full during tight turns to maintain altitude. Takes practice but on a good day with plenty of space I can get way up in the air.

IcyFlame
IcyFlame's picture

I think my wings are damaged because one of them kinda looks that is hanging,anyway Ill post a pic soon to show you what I mean.Do you guys fly it in beginner mode outside?I think it flies better in beginner mode what do you think?Also for indoor flying I think its best with the tail and expert mode...

skyotter
skyotter's picture

i haven't used beginner mode since my first day flying.  i'm not trying to brag, i just think it's easier to control on expert, using short bursts

doesn't matter whether i'm inside or out, with the ribbon or without

milw
milw's picture

i agree, I like the quicker and stronger response on expert mode.

TurningColorz
TurningColorz's picture

I also prefer the "expert" mode. It might help to give short little taps on the stick for turning. Oversteer is a common problem until you get used to it. Enjoy! http://www.TurningColorz.com

Pete
Pete's picture

IcyFlame said: I got my dragonfly yesterday and i was flying it outside(with no wind)then I noticed it doesnt go high like i saw in many videos,with full throttle it doesnt go higher so please tell me what to do.

After about 2 1/2 weeks of fooling around with my DF I finally GOT IT!  As to having good flights and HIGH ONES.   You have to "ride" the throttle, meaning.... slight throttle changes depending on what the DF is doing or just about to do.  A little throttle down as it's about to nose up or stall,  A little throttle up when dipping.   BUT KEEPING AN EVEN flight line seems to be the trick  AND I FIND that smooth wide circling TAKES MY DRAGONFLY WAY UP to where you cant hardly hear it,  LOL.   or see it !  Doing the throttle off.... and Expert mode selelcted..... full tail rotor left or right makes for that fun sprial of death spin!   And its easy to regain full control Providing your first up nice and high.    The neighborhood kids LOVE IT !