Observation about Wing Lifespan

8 posts / 0 new
Last post
demisemiquaver
demisemiquaver's picture
Observation about Wing Lifespan

I've come to realize that wings on the DF have a limited lifespan, even if you don't crash them...to explain.

Over time it became obvious that the plastic in the wings stretches from use, causing slack...and this negatively impacts their ability to produce thrust and thus, lift. Very much so in fact. I

I'm not sure how many flights you can get on a set of wings, personally I do about 10 flights in a day, outdoors. It should also be noted that flying over hot asphalt or concrete is a bad idea since, if the wings touch the surface the plastic could easily deform.

Back in the old days we used to use a type of glorified Hair Dryer to get monokote to shrink and stick to wings...I have not tried it but perhaps a gentle application of hot blow dryer could rejuvenate DF wings? If somebody tries this, and it works, I have no doubt this would be a great boon to those who fly and love the DF.

MrScott
MrScott's picture

I use a heat gun to mold various types of plastic. I use it in my modeling and rocketry hobbies, for instance.

You'd only tighten up the wings if their plastic was a type that contracted when near melting. That's not your average piece of plastic. Things like monokote, heat shrink tubing, or weather sealing window covers behave like that. 

demisemiquaver
demisemiquaver's picture

Well, only one way to find out if it will work.. ...and since the wings at that point are garbage anyway, no loss to find out.

If somebody tries it, post the results...I don't have the equipment but might try it in the near future. 

IcyFlame
IcyFlame's picture

one of my wings is kinda streched and its kinda hanging...

skyotter
skyotter's picture

on a related note, do NOT keep your DF in a car on a sunny day ...

=)

TurningColorz
TurningColorz's picture

If you think your wing has stetched out, (BTW, mylar does NOT stretch), try pulling them out of the fitting slightly. This tightens the skin a bit. (Mylar also will NOT shrink from heat). See my other post regarding slack wings and how to adjust them. http://www.robocommunity.com/forum/th... Good luck! http://www.TurningColorz.com

demisemiquaver
demisemiquaver's picture

Incorrect.   The wings DO stretch over time and get slacky.  This is why you can replace old wings with new wings and get a whole new DF...plus you can see the slack in old wings vs. new.

I guarantee you that slack did not get there by trolls or goblins...it's wear and tear.

Wings have a limited lifespan, period..no matter how you baby them.  IT's just somthing to be aware of. 

Try this experiment.  Look at a DF that has 100 flights on it..  then put new wings on it.  Night and day...again, that slack is not because of goblins..

skyotter
skyotter's picture

mylar may not stretch, but the glue on the tape over the CFs certainly gets loose  =/

but whatever the reason, yeah, old/used wings have a lot more play in them than new wings.  mine usually get torn before they get to that point, but i'll change wings due to mileage alone

(i was relating second-hand information about the DF in a sunny car.  a friend said he left it in one, and the wings never flew right again)