out of the box

69 posts / 0 new
Last post
Rhett Dudley
Rhett Dudley's picture
 Wow, you guys are scaring me! after all I have gone through to get RS Media sent over here to Germany( robo pet too, have not gotten them yet) and all of the problems I have seen in the forum about the problems right out of the box and beyond, jeez! It almost wants a sane person to not even open the box and send RS Media back and save all the Hassle! I expected to be challenged with robotics since I am new to it and thought this would be a good place to start since the great review I saw in the latest Robot Mag, but man, sounds like a lot of people are just having one problem after another! I thought that 4 decades of rc planes and helicopters would give me an advantage of some kind, but the stuff I am seeing here at the very least concerns me. Has any one out there had a truly great experience, with no problem other than the learning curve itself?  Learning the programming and soft ware does not bother me, I fly for a living and have to deal with  that stuff all the time and the rc stuff has taught me a good bit about basic electronics, but what I am not prepared for is getting defective software, or mechanics or electronics or all 3 together, hours of aggrivation and the poor '' I'll get back to you '' tech support. I mean really, I want to know.  Is this a sort of 50/50 proposition, I get lucky and get a good well performing RS MEDIA that I can actually enjoy and learn from right out of the box OR will I become a member of the other group of which I have seen so many in this forum and be totally upset confused and frustrated? I am not interrested in a 'Luck or no Luck deal' I want much, much better odds than than that! I do not have the time and I am much to far away here in Germany to want to take the many weeks in turn around time. Would I be better off when I do get it just opening it up and if it does not work properly after a decent effort just sending it back and putting the money towards a Futaba or RoBo Nova1 or something? At least I am familiar with the electronics from futaba and Hi-tech, same as other RC stuff. Sorry I do not mean to be negative since mine hasnt even arrived yet, But I have seen a lot of frustrated people in this forum regarding RS MEDIA and I just do not want to be one of them---thanks
DV8
DV8's picture

Dude.

Slow down or you going to blow a fuse!!!!....Most of the hardship in this forum is from that nutter DV8..and he don`t even have a robot to complain about anymore. I bet you get a good solid R.S Media and have lots and lots of fun. I should have persisted with my plasic pal. But I want it NOW or else!

So you see, I may have overlooked some thing, or done some thing wrong! I`m not the full quid up top, got a screw loose...somewhat defective..you get the point. Don`t not get the robot on the say so of this forum. Go forth and be all you can be....and remember 1 ,2 ,3...Always look on the brite side of life.

Tony. 

mussard
mussard's picture

Cool

I blame DV8 he started it all look at it :P

DV8
DV8's picture

If I had a robot that could walk. I would send him to Wales and knee cap you for that remark Mussard..As it is, a strong rebuke will have to do! So consider yourself rebuked!!!Tongue out

Tony.

mussard
mussard's picture

If only, my little plastic friend will protect me Tongue out

DV8
DV8's picture

Never trust a plastic friend...they can turn on you....What is the first law of robotics?.....Every robot for himself!!!!! and screw the humans!Undecided

milw
milw's picture

Anyway, its the squeaky wheel that gets the grease, eh? We 'satisfied customers' hardly ever start threads, so what you see here is biased!

cheers- Scott

(Tony- I'd send a RoboReptile, those things are rabid!) 

DV8
DV8's picture

Scott my man.

Good to know you haven't sailed way! I was just the other day in a second hand shop...and there in front of me was a RoboReptile for $79 AUD. Do you think it's worth me getting one? Are they any good? When is a Bee only half a Bee?...this will test you.

And by the way. I DO NOT SQUEAK!Laughing......much.

Kermit
Kermit's picture

Ahh! Me harty's! Hi DV8 don't buy the second hand one, I know that Toys r Us have the Roboreptile and Roboraptor for $79 and it also has a mini version as a bonus in the box (Assuming there are Toys r Us in SA..?). S you would get them brad new and with 12 months warranty.

I was thinking of getting them as well, although more for the fact that RS Media can interact with them and because the kids are keen on the Roboraptor! (But that won't stop me playing with them too - just to test them out of course - lol)

Kermit

DV8
DV8's picture

Kermit.

You my new best friend. I was going to get that ratty old jobby.But you saved the day! We got a Toys R Us in the mall. So where you at? some where in OZ I`m thinking???

milw
milw's picture

DV8 said:

When is a Bee only half a Bee?...this will test you.

half asleep upon my knee! Its Eric the Half a Bee!

But no no no, this is too silly. R U back from TRU yet? Money mouth

MrScott
MrScott's picture

Can the RSMedia interact with the RoboReptile?

I know that my RSV2 can interact with the RoboRaptor, and the manual states that it works for the RoboSapien and RoboPet, too. I don't recall seeing anything in the manual that the RSV2 could control the RoboReptile.

Kermit
Kermit's picture

Hi DV8,

I went back looking through the shopping brochures and I made a mistake, its not at Toys r Us but at Toyworld instead. Sorry about the mis-info! But I believe there are a few Toyworlds in Adelaide.

Toyworld have the Roboraptor & Mini Roboraptor Combo Pack for $79.99. The brochure did'nt actually say it had the Roboreptile in the brochure, I must of only assumed it had both... Sorry again. They do have the Robopets for only $39.99!

I live in Brisbane, and yes I'm an Aussie, but have a French sounding name, hence I acquired the nickname "Kermit". Hope you have better luck with the Robo dinos. Have you thought about going to a Different DS store and buying another RS Media? Perhaps third time lucky!

Kind regards, 

Phil (Kermit)

DV8
DV8's picture

Well pump me bilge...captin Scott. you now your Python, I`ll give you that!

I will go to TRU on the weekend. The guy at Dick Smith said the new roboraptor can jump? and move quite quickly...Is this the case? I want some thing to attack the cat.

on the weekend I like to dress in womens clothing... just like my dear papa!Wink

Kermit
Kermit's picture

Hi Mr Scott,

I haven't actually tried them myself but I read in the manual that the RS Media can interact with the Robosapien V2, another RS Media, the Roboraptor, the Roboreptile and even the Robopet. Each time RS Media will interact differently and will contain random elements. It should be interesting to see!

Phil (Kermit)

DV8
DV8's picture

Monsur Kermits.

My Sister lives in Brisbane. Biggra waters (think that`s how you spell it) I have gone off the idea of a RS It`s toooo painful to open another one. I can not believe how well they pack them..think I will awaite the next genaration. For now I will look at this Raptor thingy. I think we have a Toyworld here.

Hows the weather up there? Just looking at the news...Looks bad man. Hope you in a good spot!

All the best. Tony.

Kermit
Kermit's picture

Bonjour Monsieur Tony DV8,

Can I talk you into trying one more time with RS Media? I am sure you will love the little fella (a working one). And you'll need one to keep your Roboraptor in line! And then with your valuable experience of extracating three of those suckers from their boxes, you could write a 'how to guide' for the rest of us, explaining just how to seperate the RS Media from its box from hell!

Phil

MrScott
MrScott's picture

I don't know what level of control the RSMedia might have over the other bots, but the RSV2 interaction with the RoboRaptor is quite limited.

You basically set get them both switched on and facing each other, then trigger the interaction script via the RSV2 remote control. The RSV2 then goes into a standard opening dialog and sends a command (or two?) to the RoboRaptor, which cause it to snarl and snap. There are then two different end dialogs. 

It was cute the first time, and even more so when the 2nd variation played out.

In a thread elsewhere in the community I put in a vote that a RSV3 wishlist should include a way to use the robot as a universal remote for any IR controlled device. Being able to capture and script IR commands would make the interactions much more complex.

DV8
DV8's picture

You start off...very very carefull..then you give up and rip that sucker to shreds!!!! They GLUE the box together!!!!! for gods sake!. And you need a small cross head screwdriver....I just can`t go through that again..Sorry..Sorry everyone..I just Can`tYell

DV8
DV8's picture

Mr Scott.

Please tell me. Why can we not have wireless remote? for our plasic pals? Sorry if that is a stupid question....but would it not be a better way to controle from a distance?

milw
milw's picture

i have an idea- buy a used one! or, try this- set the box outside, douse with gas (petrol to you Aussies?) and throw a match. stand by with water hose cuz you have to stop it just as the plastic nest is softening! better wear some asbestos gloves to pull the guy out, then get your dremel and start cutting away at those cursed twisty ties.

Someone said 'mattress' to Mr. Lambert... TWICE!

-ScottNotMr 

milw
milw's picture

DV8 said:

Mr Scott.

Please tell me. Why can we not have wireless remote? for our plasic pals? Sorry if that is a stupid question....but would it not be a better way to controle from a distance?

Wireless as in RF, not IR? Probably because the RF chips cost ~$2 each instead of $0.01! Not to mention FCC compliance in the US and different standards everywhere else in the world. Tho if WW has the R/C all worked out for DragonFlies, it'd make sense to use the same designs for RS. Well of course, Nocturnal could probably whip us up some BlueTooth hack that'd connect the remote to the RS. How about it Mr N?

-S 

DV8
DV8's picture

Not Scott Mr.

It`s not the taking out that`s the bummer...It`s putting the bugger back in!!! You have fun getting it out..But it`s ho so hard to thread the twistys back through the holes...TWICE!!!!!!!!!

Just one little waffer!...

Kermit
Kermit's picture

Hi Milw,

There is only one thing wrong with your most cunning and devious plan! We can't use a hose, cause we are on level 5 water restrictions here, every drop is precious!

Why not oput a fire cracker inside the box, hopefully it will only blow the box away!

Kermit

milw
milw's picture

Monsieur Kermit mon ami, have you not great towering mounds of termites? Why not let them do the work by devouring the cardboard?

And Mr. DV8, I'm afraid you lost me on that one, nudge nudge know what I mean? But we just got two DVDs so I'm sure I'll find something to stump ye!

har har har har, now back to me money!
-Eugene

Nocturnal
Nocturnal's picture

milw said:

Well of course, Nocturnal could probably whip us up some BlueTooth hack that'd connect the remote to the RS. How about it Mr N?

-S 

Not quite. I can control my RS Media over bluetooth (In theory max range should be +100m, but I've never tried it beyond about 20m), but the remote is not involved (just a laptop). Though, a while back someone hacked their V2 with one of those cheap IR extenders (which is basically IR-RF-IR). I think mayson1 also did something a bit more tricky to make his RoboSapien RF.

DV8, you didn't rebox them when you returned them did you? Your the only person I know who bothered. 

DV8
DV8's picture

Noctural.

Yes I did rebox two of them..although the second one was not so good a job as the first on account of me being pi***ed off. And I found the USB cable after I taped the damn thing up!

I like order in my life, have you not  seen my instrument collection. They don't get on the bord themselfs you know!Laughing

DV8
DV8's picture

Sir Milw.

STUMP!....Pirate..HA! HA! HA!.. The waffer thing is from Monty Pythons Epic movie Meaning of life. John Cleese ( as a french waiter) Trys to entice Terry Jones (as the very fat Mr Bucket) to eat just one thin waffer.After he has downed about a months worth of food in one sitting, Witch he dose...and exsplodes. Only the british could be so crass,nay grose and yet get away with it on a grand scale!

God save the queen!

MrScott
MrScott's picture

I read that RF/IR_Extender hack article last Spring. It was a reasonably non-intrusive modification.

Step 1- by an IR extender that reads an IR signal and transmits it via RF to a receiver, where it's converted back to IR and transmitted again.

Step 2- Mount the RF Receiver on the Robot, placing its IR transmitter near the robot's IR receiver.

Step 3- Play!

The author of the article did this modification paired with mounting an RF wireless video camera on the robot. He wrote about how he sent the robot outside to get the paper, or some such errand. He could sit inside, viewing the image from the robot, and control the robot via RF.

(Can I play, too?) 

-- Blessed are the cheese makers!

Nocturnal
Nocturnal's picture

Basically. Except me being me, I'd actually hook the RF receiver directly to IR input line, and hook the RF transmitter directly to the remote (there would need to be a little bit of extra circuitry to demodulate the signal).

was it an article? I can't remember where I read about it.

Sounds like a lot of need less effort DV8. I usually make my returns without the box, and I usually forget to return the odds and ends as well.

Pages