The Nature of Toys - Dragonfly Died

3 posts / 0 new
Last post
demisemiquaver
demisemiquaver's picture
The Nature of Toys - Dragonfly Died

Well it took a little over 2 or 3 weeks or so but My Green Dragonfly died. The wings won't flap most of the time unless I nudge them first and then only slowly.  Now it's too scraped up to return to the store.  Sad.

I have to admit these are fun little toys. But, they are toys..and Toys, by their very nature, are designed to break so parents have to buy new ones.

Was it worth the money for 2 weeks of fun? No, not really. 

One has to wonder why Flytech did not just add a couple of dollars worth of upgrades to the product to make it hobby level. They could have still sold it as a toy for only a few dollars more and it would have appealed to those into hobby-level flying machines. 

Will I buy another? No. In fact I have one new in the box I'm returning...not worth the money for 2 weeks life. 

Is it fun? Does it fly well? Is is revolutionary? Absolutely yes to all those. But it's a toy. As long as people understand they are not going to last much more than a month if flown several times a day, fine.

Quite a nice Toy however. A very nice Toy indeed. Now to save my money for a Cybird or even, perhaps, a Wingbird or other 300.00+ Ornithopter...Hobby Level, of Course.  No more toys for this bird!

FREEEK
FREEEK's picture

Hi demisemiquaver ... I saw your post is very ... "your point of view". If you look at it in this way "Flytech Dragonfly worth 49.99& or it's better to buy 12 BIG Mac menus?" ... I quit smoking 2 years now and I got a little overweight ... I know what 2 weeks of McDonalds can do to you.

Undecided ?!? hmmm...

MrScott
MrScott's picture

I don't own a Dragonfly, so I can only comment on the general statements of toy life and value.

Toys are not all designed to die within a month of normal play. Unfortunately, a lot of them do end up that way. If it's not a case of abusive play, then the toy designs need updating.

I've got toys that are 40 years old, that got played with hard at the time, and that are still around as testament to their durability. Not many electric ones, though. The fledgling engineer in me wouldn't let too many of those remain assembled to celebrate their first anniversary. Junior mad scientists need the parts for other projects. Tongue out

My Cox flight trainer from the 70s is still flyable, despite several crashes. 

My Tyco trains and Aurora slot cars survived 30+ years. 

I have model rockets that were built in the 70's, sat idle for 30 years, and now are getting flown several times a year. 

If Dragonflys are falling from the sky in great numbers, never to rise again, then I'd say there's a design issue that needs addressing.

Scratched up or otherwise, there's usually a warranty provided for pricey toys. If it mechanically has ceased to function, and it's still within warranty, then it's worth contacting customer support to find out what your options are.