Brand new RS Media and it keeps saying needs new batteries but they are new batteries

11 posts / 0 new
Last post
bigalau
bigalau's picture
Brand new RS Media and it keeps saying needs new batteries but they are new batteries

I just got the rs media and was real excited about it, so i unpacked it, read the manual on unpacking and inserting batteries, put brand new ones in and turned him on, the wow wee sign comes on the lcd as normal and eyes flicker as normal but then he says " the batteries in my feet need changing, system powering down" so i went and got new batteries of a different brand and tried them and same thing happened, any ideas as gone from super excited to super bummed

FREEEK
FREEEK's picture

Hi bigalau , I want to say that it happened few times. I have rechargeable batteries and if I charge them more than 2 at a time (the charger has the possibility to charge 4 at a time) the batteries charge under the limit of the RS Media. The RS Media has a "voltmeter" who control the batteries level. I suggest you to put TOP alkaline batteries (Duracell , Energizer , Varta ...) with 1.5V. Be carefull because the rechargeable batteries have only 1.2V most (no enought, even so I use these but chargeing separately I can obtain a 1.48V from each).

One more thing : "WHEN A GROUP OF BATTERIES IS UNDER THE SPECCIFIC  VOLTAGE ONLY ONE BATTERIE IT'S DISCHARGED !!!" (mabey a lot are close to it but ONLY ONE it's the problem, measure the voltag).

bigalau
bigalau's picture

thanks for reply, the batteries i tried were actually alkaline batteries and first set were duracell and then the second set were energizer and keeps saying the msg, i could try rechargeable ones but some people say they dont work as well with the power

Eastercla
Eastercla's picture

bigalau, There have been others on this site report the same problem.  Apon there suprise it was becasue the wire harness on the inside was bad.  Power him on and off over and over again a few times and see if you notice it heating up.  If it does then it is the wireing harness.  Also, if the battaries don't work in the media, then try them in something else to make sure there good.  there have been times where I buy battaries that are bad and they are from duracell or energizer.

bigalau
bigalau's picture

Thanks for help, still nothing happened, so sending him back to store, will be getting a replacement but gonna be 2 weeks before i get it and had to wait 2 weeks to receive it first off so big time disappointment, but what can u do

Nocturnal
Nocturnal's picture

Rechargables have a lower voltage and can cause the RS Media to think its batteries are flat when they are not. so they would not have helped the situation. Hope your replacement doesn't take to long to arrive.

milw
milw's picture

Eastercla said: bigalau, There have been others on this site report the same problem.  Apon there suprise it was becasue the wire harness on the inside was bad.  Power him on and off over and over again a few times and see if you notice it heating up.  If it does then it is the wireing harness.  Also, if the battaries don't work in the media, then try them in something else to make sure there good.  there have been times where I buy battaries that are bad and they are from duracell or energizer.

Also the wiring issue was with a small run of V2s, not the Media (at least as far as I know). Bigalau, did you actually check the battery voltage after taking them out? (and were they warm, indicating rapid drainage?).

cheers- Scott 

Eastercla
Eastercla's picture

milw, I only suggested it because it happened to some v2s.  I figure that if the mistake was made with one product that it could be made with another.  the mistake being the wireing harness.

milw
milw's picture

Yes, that's a good point, and you had already asked if the batteries were getting warm too! doh! Anyway it sounds like it has to be either a short-circuit somewhere that really does drain the batteries, or maybe a faulty battery voltage sensor that triggers too easily... I hope we hear back from bigalau

cheers- Scott

Sepulchral
Sepulchral's picture

If that one doesn't work (the replacement) I would contact WowWee or their distributor (should have that info on the box or go to their website). It maybe a defective batch as that does happy from time to time when you first start to produce a product.

In a product that has millions lines of code, and thousands of parts, anything could snap or falture to cause a problem. 

Stickyfingers
Stickyfingers's picture

...Bigalau...I have just registered only so that I can tell you that I had EXACTLY the same problem...and now its fixed!...guess what the cause was???...I had the two "AA" batteries the wrong way around in the right foot!!!...I put "positive" to "positive" and "negative" to "negative" and ta da!!!!...that's all it was!!!...I don't know if that's the problem that's causing yours but worth triple checking like I finally did!...hope this helps mate...Stickyfingers.Laughing