7.5V 3.1Amp Adaptor in Australia? Any ETA?

17 posts / 0 new
Last post
Kermit
Kermit's picture
7.5V 3.1Amp Adaptor in Australia? Any ETA?

Hi All,

I'm hoping someone may have the inside scoop on when the power adaptors for RS Media will be available for us in AUS?

I emailed WOWWEE but they only forwarded my query on to the Aus importer for RS Media (Funtastic), who then forwarded me on to someone else (Access Comms) for the adaptor, only to be told they have nothing suitable. I know you can buy a PSU from DSE (#M9941) but that costs $74.98! And you still have to buy leads (#M9603) to go with it which cost $14.98. Which is nearly $90! I have bought 2 RS Medias for my kids for this Christmas and to buy the two sets of the PSUs will cost about $180 from DSE.

I have emailed WOWWEE 3 times and twice have been forwarded to the Aus Importer, who is no help. Does anyone have any info on when WOWWEE will have the adaptors available?

Regards,

Kermit

Nocturnal
Nocturnal's picture

I would say never.

You could try searching the web, calling a few electronics suppliers etc etc.  If you find a cheaper source inside australia, I would be interested in hearing about it. 

Sunbeamowner
Sunbeamowner's picture

Hey guys. Do you want the bad news or the bad news ? I looked arround everywhere and the only place in Australia you can get the correct Ac adapter is Dick Smith Electronics. Yes it is the#M9941 but mine came with the leads. The flipside is you part with $25.00 plus each time you need to replace the 6 D size batteries !!!! From what I understand from reading previous posts it seems that the RS Media that is being released in the USA will come with the ac adapter. Bugger!!!!!!!!

Nocturnal
Nocturnal's picture

:) I was aware of that Sunbeamowner, since I was the first person to find the M9941, but things change, so you never know. The M9941 now comes with a cigerette lighter socket and leads (it did not originaly). It is a bit disapointing that the US release is getting an AC adapter, but its low down on my list of grievances (the top item being I paid $750 for mine, and I can now buy one new for under $200).

MrScott
MrScott's picture

"(the top item being I paid $750 for mine, and I can now buy one new for under $200.)"

That's the cost of being an early buyer. Discounts and price reductions are always in the works to lengthen a products saleability. Hopefully that first price drop is at least several months after the initial offering, so that the earlier buyers don't feel they leaped too soon.

I bet the folks who bought an RSV2 for $200 are miffed that store surplus was sold off for $80 via Woot!. 

The people who lined up to buy an I-Phone were more than a bit miffed when the price dropped by $200 (33%) just a few weeks later. There was such a backlash that Apple agreed to provide a rebate for those early purchasers.

http://gizmodo.com/gadgets/apple/the-...

Nocturnal
Nocturnal's picture

I'm aware of the way it works, doesn't mean I have to like it. Its a system that penalizes people who actually like a product and are excited by it (ie the people who get in early). The first price drop for the RS Media in Australia was 40% btw, from $750 (RRP $800) to $450 (or less in one or two places).

I'm sure some people were annoyed by that V2 pricing, but the difference there is only $120, where as here its $550.

Apple always has been concerned about agitating their fan base. As the article points out though, the rebate isn't really going to cost apple a whole lot. Most of the rebate is going in store credits, which of course can only be spent in Apple stores, and according to that article $100 doesn't get you much at an apple store, so most people are likely to use it while forking out more cash on another apple product.

MrScott
MrScott's picture

Each person has to decide for themself how much being "the first on the block" is worth to them. Those who wait run the risk of the supply drying up before the prices tumble. I've missed out on some interesting products by waiting too long.

There's always the secondary markets. EBay and such. Sometimes values go down, and resale goes for less than retail. Sometimes values go up, and you pay more than you would have when buying it new from a store. 

There are folks who consider the whole process a form of entertainment in and of itself. Others think they're going to be able to retire in luxury based on their toy purchases and resale. Me? I'm just a cheap S.O.B. looking for deals for my personal use. 

Sepulchral
Sepulchral's picture

Has anyone tried those Juice Batteries, or heard about how good they are? If they generate the 1.5V and don't have a memory input, they would be a great alternative to regular batteries!

Kermit
Kermit's picture

Nocturnal said:

I would say never.

Hi All,

Thanks for all the advise. Nocturnal, I am so glad you said that because now I can say the old James Bond line "Never say Never!" LOL

You won't believe it but I have some great news! I have been in touch with the Aus Importers for RSM and they have told me that they will be getting some adaptors in, by late November. When I asked to announce it on the forum, they were a bit reluctant because the stock hasn't arrived yet. So I must state again that they may be in by late November 2007. I got their permission to announce it because I told them people might buy a more expensive item, unaware they would get a genuine one in. Therefore, please wait till mid-November before contacting them... Here are the details:

The Aus Importer for the RS Media is Funtastic:

They will cost about $30! (A Big heartfelt sorry to those who spent big dollars on an alternative) You can order them by the 1800 number or by the email below (Not until mid-November).

funtastic LIMITED

635 Waverley Road

Glen Waverley  VIC

Australia 3150

Phone 1800 244 543

Fax     03 9535 5897

Email info@funtastic.com.au 

website www.funtastic.com.au

RoboRoo
RoboRoo's picture

Hi Dick Smiths have them as a multi unit. very cool because if you run it at 6V it will not disable his leg servos and a 7.5 it will. at 6v make sure he has a long cable 8) part number here in NZ is M9941. mine works a treat and no more batteries (apart from the remote). As DSE are an austrailian co im sure they will have them to

http://www.dse.co.nz/cgi-bin/dse.storefront/4728ce8400a5c672273fc0a87f33070e/Product/View/M9941

rikash
rikash's picture

Hi Guys

Just got mine on the weekend and the first one just smoked and i returned it - got the new one and its doing the "replace batteries" thing.

Contacted the suppliers and they said they have been unable to get the power supplies.

She recommended i get a 500ma or 1A from dick smith.

HOWEVER

the following product - MP3131 available at jaycar  www.jaycar.com.au is up to 1.9A at $22.  SHould do the trick.  WIll try it in the store tommorow.

Nocturnal
Nocturnal's picture

To quote the manual,

"RS Media can be powered by an Output 7.5V AC/DC, 3.1 Amp,
center-positive adapter."

Anything less might melt. You may be able to get away with less because the continuous draw is not 3amps.

Or you can go to Dick Smith and buy an M9941 for $68, your call.

idrum289
idrum289's picture

I got an M9941 from DSE. Works perfect and I'll never look back. Thanks to Nocturnal for that tip. Well done mate, and thanks.
Might look at trying to find some rechargeable D's in the not too distant future. Again, DSE looks like the place to go so far.

rikash
rikash's picture

idrum289 said: I got an M9941 from DSE. Works perfect and I'll never look back. Thanks to Nocturnal for that tip. Well done mate, and thanks. Might look at trying to find some rechargeable D's in the not too distant future. Again, DSE looks like the place to go so far.

This is now without walking i am assuming? someone saidrunning it at 6v gets the walking too.

idrum289
idrum289's picture

Walking with the M9941? Definitely not. As for the 6V, I'm not game to try it!

rikash
rikash's picture

Power = Voltage x Current

Thus 6 v should not hurt the unit.

idrum289
idrum289's picture

Fair enough. It's been a while since I went through that stuff!