Macro Help please

19 posts / 0 new
Last post
RoboRoo
RoboRoo's picture
Macro Help please

Hi, how do i get the DanceDemo_song.sh to run at the same time as playing a different mp3? I can get the mp3 to start then he will dance with no sound and i can get it fine the other way around. how do i get them to run together? cheers

Roo Man

RoboRoo
RoboRoo's picture

HEHE, just to answer my own question, dont use Macros. use body cons and it works a treat. its all a learning curve i suppose.

Roo Man

milw
milw's picture

Actually, can you explain more details of how you applied the body con? I've been trying by a) creating a bodycon with my mp3 and saving; and b) setting the Dance Demo to load that bodycon, but it isn't working for me- the RSM just seems to lock up when I load that personality and then press the D button :(

thx & cheers 

(and welcome to the community!)

-Scott 

RoboRoo
RoboRoo's picture

Sure no probs. use usb mode. select the personality on the bot you want to use it with (in the left panel) . then go to body con. Then I selected the pre-defined dance routines from each default personality (was being lazy) and mixed them up so was not repetitive. Added my mp3 and deleted there’s and made them to match in length. Save to local first (for backup) then saved directly to bot and it has worked sweet as. hope this helps. I can send screen shots if you want when I do my next one over the weekend.  Doing it for my 2yr old with the Elmo personality and then using wiggles and Elmo mp3's. She loves it.The other thing I have done is changed the default start mp3 (PERSINTRO.mp3) using my own voice and changing pitch etc to say hi and her name and a brief conversation and she just loves it. was scared s**tless of it before.Cheers RooMan

diane
diane's picture

Hi! Just started with RSMedia.  I understand all the mp3 files for each individual movement, but uncertain how the macros relate to the dance.  Seems like in the predefined personalities, there are 12 folders in the macro folder and each has the .sh, the _Songs.sh, the .bcn and the .mp3 files.  Seems like folder 11 has special files in it.   But in the macros folder for a personality I create with the REMedia product, all folders have just the .sh except 11 which has these four files.  I created a personality and the song does not play with the dance routine.  Do I fix this in the folder 11 files or what?  Thanks!

milw
milw's picture

Let's try following RoboRoos directions and then look at those folders... I have the same thing with the dance routine, it's going into the folder 11 but then trying to play the dance demo just makes the bot lock up. I'll report back later today!

cheers (& BTW, welcome to the community diane! )

-Scott

(oh great, lost my RSM remote! :( ) 

diane
diane's picture

Got it to work.  Had a trashed .sh file in folder 11.  But still want to know what needs to be where.  And when I use the RSMedia Suite and go to BodyCon and drag one onto the motion timeline, the mp3 file attached moves to the right-hand side audio library.  How do you remove it from the library so you can add a different mp3? Also-when I drag a body con to the timeline, some of the frames seem to duplicate. Thanks! 

Thanks for the welcome, Scott!  We are using RSMedia to teach Java programming at college---but I am having more fun with the personalities!!! 

milw
milw's picture

hm, I haven't seen the frame duplication on the timeline, but I haven't looked all that closely. If you select the stock mp3 on the timeline and hit 'del' key to get rid of it, even tho it will still show in the library. Then open the mp3 you want, so it shows in the library also, and drag it down onto the empty audio timeline.

hey! I got the RSM because I wanted to learn java programming too! but it is hard to make much headway on my own; any chance you can share some of the course materials? (i'd bet not, unless we start paying tuition! what school by the way?)

cheers- Scott (and I found my remote again, so will try the transfer to bot on bodycon button 10.) 

diane
diane's picture

Be happy to share it! I teach at Virginia Western Community College. And no- you do not have to pay tuition.  I got some HP and Verizon grants to create courses for programming cell phones and hand held devices.  Roboduke the Javarian (my "kid's" name - "Duke" is the Sun Microsystems mascot) uses the same Java classes as cell phones.  I got mine at the Java One conference in San Fran this year. 

Have you ever programmed in any language? Will send you info through your email so not to get too far off task here. 

RoboRoo
RoboRoo's picture

Diane, after you drag the con to the time line and it takes its own mp3, select that mp3 and hit del. then you will be left with just the mp3 you are wanting. when you save it wont ake the unwanted with it. hope this helps.

Jaxster
Jaxster's picture

Hi Diane I'd be quite intrested in the course notes too.  I studied Java at university many moons ago, but at the time I left Java wasn't really in demand.  I got a "temporary" job that didn't require it and five years later all my skills are out of date.  I got my RS Media in the hopes of recapturing former glories, but I have been a bit disappoint with the lack of Java support.  As evidenced by my post "Java SDK a damp squib" which everyone is ignoring.  And quite rightly so (mental note be more positive).

diane
diane's picture

I wonder what interest we would have in a forum for learning Java in general ---but leading towards the Java for the robot?  How would we set one up?  Who would we ask?  Diane

milw
milw's picture

I can ask for a new forum to be created- I don't think it'll be a problem. Tutorials or lessons might be better posted as Articles rather than forum threads, but we can always convert a forum thread into an article. I'll talk to Jeff about creating a Java forum, and start a new thread here to poll for interest, OK?

thx- Scott 

diane
diane's picture

Works for me!  I also sent a private message to Jeff Block who was listed as editor. We need some place to do it where it is easy to put attachments. Let me know what you think and we can get rolling!

Nocturnal
Nocturnal's picture

File attachments might be a problem, I don't think the site's back end can handle them. Tutorials or lessons could definately be handled as articles, but I think someone is going to have to deal with file attachments manually.

If you haven't read it before diane, you might find this thread interesting. The main problem with the java interpreter on the RS Media is that the sensor listening class (I think that was the class) appears to be entirely non functional. There is also a minor issue with the java interpreter dying after about 5 minutes. There was a rumoured patch to fix this, but it doesn't appear to have made it out.

If you really want to use the RS Media as a teaching tool (Which is an idea I love btw), you might want to start talking to WowWee and maybe Sun to see if you can get a patch. 

milw
milw's picture

Yeah Mr. N, and I've talked with Jeff about attachments before, and it seemed possible to get some kind of functionality set up. We'll see what we can do!

cheers- Scott 

diane
diane's picture

Nocturnal - thanks for the heads up on that thread.  Have just started looking around at these forums. 

diane
diane's picture

milw,

Let's do this.  See if you can get an answer from Jeff about whether we can discuss generic Java programming  (or whether it is out of the scope of this site).  I will do a series of programming articles to get people up to speed on Java and can throw the attachments up on my web site at school and use links.  It looks like the articles have discussion forums attached anyhow so we can direct discussion to the specific article.  Then by the time we get to the actual Robot programming, maybe the problems Nocturnal is mentioning will be solved. I will pursue that as well. Does that sound good? If so---will wait for Jeff's answer.

milw
milw's picture

Yup, that sounds great. I expect we'll hear back from Jeff tomorrow. We'll just need one intro/overview to throw up as the article, then I think we can add links to attachments by editing the article as you go along.

Oh also- we'd welcome your students as members here if they have any interest, feel free to share this site with them if you like.

The Java interest poll is here in case anyone reading here hasn't yet found it!

cheers- Scott