Product Knock Offs

57 posts / 0 new
Last post
MrScott
MrScott's picture
Product Knock Offs

When a product is copied or cloned by another company, the results are often called "knock offs". They're usually lower quality, often lower priced, and generally an attempt by a less innovative company to cash in on the first company's products.

There are some threads over under "Dragon Fly" describing some knock off versions that other companies are distributing. I saw a knock off of a Mini-RoboRaptor at a local Pharmacy this weekend. I thought it might be interesting to see what other folks may have seen out there regarding knock-offs of WowWee products.

I put this thread in the "Gossip" forum section, as we're unlikely to get any 1st hand information as to who is creating these. Barring real information, we're left with guesswork and gossip.

In the case of the DragonFly knock offs, there seems to be an effort to pawn the clones off as the real deal. The packaging and product name is close to the official product. In the case of the mini-roboraptor knock off, it's not so obvious that deception is intended. The knock off mini-raptor is packaged differently, and the dinosaur itself is a different color than the official product.

So here's some questions for others in the thread.

1. What WowWee Knock Offs have you seen?
  2. Were the knock offs packaged differently than the official products?
  3. Were the knock offs obviously different in color, shape, or size than the official products?
  4. Were the prices on the knock offs similar to the official product, or significantly less?

Here's a cellphone picture (sorry for the quality) of the Mini-RoboRaptor knock off.

MrScott
MrScott's picture

As a follow up, here's a pointer to the previous thread specifically talking about counterfeit Dragonfly brands.

Here's a picture from that thread of a knock off that's obviously trying to cash in on folks thinking they're getting the original product.

Compare that to the official package.

milw
milw's picture

There's the infamous Robone imitation- see Engadget

Incredibly, still available on Amazon

thcrw739
thcrw739's picture

One thing i can say...

Ive never seen a RSV2 knock off as long as its been out....

allthough i'd be interested in seeing one.. probily 2 complicated to make a resonably priced knock off??

Nocturnal
Nocturnal's picture

I have also never seen a counterfit V2 (or RS Media). As complexity goes up, its harder to reproduce without significant input of time and money. You are probably also correct that the more complex something is the harder it is to make a reasonably priced knock off.

MrScott
MrScott's picture

milw said: There's the infamous Robone imitation- see Engadget Incredibly, still available on Amazon!  

Never saw this one. Guess it was before my time.

Following that Amazon link leads to

1 used & new available from $599.99

I'm thinking that particular Amazon seller isn't getting too many nibbles on his rare collectible. 

robot master Marc
robot master Marc's picture

i know what u mean ill email pics assoon as i can

newx
newx's picture

Just search "robosaur", then you will find this Roboraptor with detachable wings and slightly altered head. like the one below (sorry i don't know how to post imgs here)(I edited to use image links to Flickr. hope this works)

This one here is more originality in it exterior. I must say i kinda like the looks.

newx
newx's picture

I found the original looking "robozaur" ("robosaur"?) in action on youtube!

and this is the wing dragon "robosaur" promotional video on youtube (in chinese).

and "Robone"

newnhamrs4
newnhamrs4's picture

oh my god, i new knock offs where out there. i have never seen them, they are far to close to the real things, i cant get over how much they look like the real thing.

there has to be some rule about that, that is with out doubt almost the realy thing even the words on the box. have these people no ideas of there own.

newnhamrs4
newnhamrs4's picture

sorry one more thing if i had the ability to make me own robots like that to that qaulity, i would make something different.

milw
milw's picture

hi Newx, I edited your post to convert the YouTube URLs into actual embedded videos- you can do the same, simply by clicking on the 'YouTube' button in the text editor here, and pasting the URL into the popup. Good job finding these!

cheers- Scott 

newx
newx's picture

Thanks milw (Scott) for the tips. I edited my first post to display some images i uploaded to Flickr. I hope it works.

Now, here is more. This time it's Roboreptile counterfeit!!! This one has a pair of hinged wings on his back and horns on his head. The eBay seller called this as "Fire Dragon" and asking about GBP50 for this!

(Robosapien v1 counterfeit video and pic's coming up next...)

RoboNick
RoboNick's picture

look at these from their website:
"Spideractor"

same as Spidersapien?

"Super Robot" and "Robone"

same as Robosapien?

"Robodog"

same as Robopet?

What is JiaQi Toys' problem?
Here's their link: http://www.jiaqitoys.cn/index.asp

Currahee
Currahee's picture

DAMN SHAME!

robodud
robodud's picture

can these knock offs intoract with the real bots?

BronzeGoodIronBad
BronzeGoodIronBad's picture

robodud said: can these knock offs intoract with the real bots?

I'd bet they probably can, since these robots are probably assembled from actual rejected components from WowWee toys that they've obtained through dumpster diving in some back ally behind WowWee toys.

robodud
robodud's picture

o thats weird

MrScott
MrScott's picture

I doubt there's dumpster diving going on for the production of these knockoffs. More likely a third party has slipped the parts manufacturer some cash to generate extra parts from the WowWee designs.

Profitable for the 3rd party (new parts, no design work). Profitable for the manufacturer (more money from the same production line). Bad for WowWee (cuts into their customer base with knockoffs for which WowWee receives no compensation for the design work done).

The other possibility is that the 3rd party got a new WowWee product (off the shelf, or from a contact in the manufacturer), and contracted with a manufacturer to clone the parts. That costs the 3rd party more, as they have to pay for a new production setup. They're still able to undercut WowWee, because the 3rd party didn't have to pay for the design work. They just stole the design.

BronzeGoodIronBad
BronzeGoodIronBad's picture

I still say they're a rouge band of crazed dumpster divers!!!Yell

MrScott
MrScott's picture

Dumpster diving might get you some prototypes, but you're not going to get sufficient supplies to put together a production run.

MrScott
MrScott's picture

Adding a link to another thread that popped up detailing a RoboSapien knock off known as the RoboWisdom.

Even the name is a knockoff of the original.

http://www.robocommunity.com/forum/thread/13724/Knock-Offs/

Other web links for it are available from Google

http://www.google.com/search?q=robowisdom

nicerobot
nicerobot's picture

I guess I don't have to tell anybody what this is supposed to be....

idrum289
idrum289's picture

That's just gross!

idrum289
idrum289's picture

Check out that website. They sell those 'orrible Robosaurs too!

robodud
robodud's picture

what is that called ?????? and i tiped in robo and i found copies of robosapien rs j.n that plase sucks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

robodud
robodud's picture
MrScott
MrScott's picture

There's another thread that cropped up talking about those RoboQuad clones.

http://www.robocommunity.com/forum/thread/14032/Any-one-see-these-two-ro...

alibasim959
alibasim959's picture

i got to say the fake RQ look really good..

RoboquadFanatic
RoboquadFanatic's picture

UGH!! Why anyone would want to make a knock off of the Roboquad (which, in my opinion, is the best robot Wwee has ever manufactured) is beyond me.

Pages