RS Media: Ideas, Wishes, Intentions, ?

3 posts / 0 new
Last post
Rudolph
Rudolph's picture
RS Media: Ideas, Wishes, Intentions, ?

Restarting this thread, as it was moving off topic a bit. Not sure if there's an easier way to copy part of a whole thread over to a different forum, so I'm just copy-pasting the last couple (veering towards off topic) replies.

Robostuff Said:

Jeff Block said: LOL! (You're #20, Robostuff, which is none too shabby. Keep those personalities coming.) And you know what we need in general ... more HACKS. I haven't seen a good hack article published in ages. People would drool. The CVE would churn. Your rank would go up! Cool

Agree. With the exception of the widely publicized add led light to RSV2 using the extra unused pin in his head, there hasnt been a heck of alot of hacking since the first Robosapien. Although the first Robosapien was designed to be hacked. The newer models as publicized by Servo are not as hackable friendly. I do think that the RS Media with its Java and Linux is a hobbyists dream, and the java stuff should be flourishing soon after RoboDukes class is done. However we still need more help from Wowee. It certainly is possible given the operating system and hardware to write software that could have voice or possibly even face recognition. I thought there would be new software coming from Wowee itself but it seems other then the rare RS Media suite upgrade, we are on our own. Would be nice to at least create our own Java games etc... There in lies our best potential of future hacking, with RS Media

Rudolph Said:

If we could just get a TCP/IP stack and wifi in the RS Media... It would, of course, be useless by real-world standards, but playing Pong on your RSM against an opponent over the 'net would just be freakin cool :) Code it so raising/lowering the bot's arm controls your paddle, send the position encoding data to the bot on the other end, so your opponents bot waves his arm to reflect your movements on your bot (and vice versa). The mind boggles at the time wasting potential of this!

All my ideas so far, since I can't actually start working yet (only 11 more days 'til I can actually open the package!) revolve around a wireless serial connection, with all the work being done on my PC. I (personally) have a hard time considering that hacking since it's just custom software to run on a "real" computer. When RSM is open/available enough to make that kind of thing happen locally, without relying on a host computer, then it would qualify as hacking (to me, not speaking for anyone else here). Otherwise it's Perl/Bash/PHP/whatever hacking, not RoboSapien hacking.

milw Said:

hey Rudolph, did you copy this latest post over to the Hacking & Mods forum? I'd like to continue this thread over there, in case you haven't already started it!

cheers- Scott

PS: Is it possible to do proper quotes without using the "reply with quote" link? Like copy-pasting into a whole different thread? Like BBCode [quote] stuff, just one that works on this forum :) Preferably without using the "Advanced Editor", as I personally detest rich text editors and wish I could turn off even the not-advanced one.

=edit=

Found the HTML editor in the Advanced editor in order to clean up the apperance of the quotes.

Robbiesapien
Robbiesapien's picture

If we could just get a TCP/IP stack and wifi in the RS Media... It would, of course, be useless by real-world standards, but playing Pong on your RSM against an opponent over the 'net would just be freakin cool :) Code it so raising/lowering the bot's arm controls your paddle, send the position encoding data to the bot on the other end, so your opponents bot waves his arm to reflect your movements on your bot (and vice versa). The mind boggles at the time wasting potential of this!

I want. I want NOW! (Im talking about the Wi-Fi thingy.)

Kadeiqus
Kadeiqus's picture

""It certainly is possible given the operating system and hardware to write software that could have voice or possibly even face recognition...""

I, for one, think this would be a very cool addition. That was one of the first thoughts that came to mind when I read about the Java class: "I wonder if one could make RS Media recognize a persons voice. I mean, if my cell phone can auto dial by what I say, then why can't he react as well." That was my literal thought process, and I think it makes sense. You can tell your phone to 'Dial Home' and it will call your house without you pushing a button. It would add so many levels to RSM's interations if you can program it to recognize different phrases or words. Even if it is only just a select few. When it dectets something that sounds like Hello, it responds with a pre-programed phrase!

I do not yet have the knowledge to even guess if it is even possible to consider, So I ask you all... What is the extent of our possibilities with RS Media?