Any way to dye or color the wings?

9 posts / 0 new
Last post
hornetflyer
hornetflyer's picture
Any way to dye or color the wings?

Hi all...

Can anyone tell me if there is a way to dye, or color the wings that will not affect the performance of the wings, but will also look good?  I'm trying to think of ways to make one I have as realistic as possible, and before I mess up a good pair of wings, was wondering if anyone else has tried this or has had success with a particular meathod of adding color to the wings....thanks!!!!

MrScott
MrScott's picture

Sharpie markers?

milw
milw's picture

Or broad edge permanent markers. They might tend to lift the printing off the wings but perhaps if you colored on the bottom side...

Outpatient
Outpatient's picture

You can use Goof Off (and possibly other solvents as well) to completely remove the printing on them. The printed designs wiped right off as if they were water.  I did this because I've ended up with two good wings of differing designs.  So I took one of the broken wings first and tested the Goof Off on it. Didn't hurt the material at all.  But it did dissolve the paint or ink that was on the wings and it left them clear as glass.   After you  do that then you can use a Sharpie (or any permanent marker) to make your own design.

Nocturnal
Nocturnal's picture

I'd be extremely careful with solvents (and markers) and the wings. Solvents (including the ones in markers) are not always entirely plastic friendly. Testing (as Outpatient did), is always a good idea when trying such things.

Outpatient
Outpatient's picture

I completely agree Nocturnal. In fact, when I tested it I didn't just wipe it on the wing, I poured it on and made it pool up on the material. I let it sit there for a good 3-5 minutes. Then checked if the material was still ok.  I initially assumed something as strong as Goof Off would just melt the plastic or make it brittle or something.  I was happily surprised when it didn't.

Outpatient
Outpatient's picture

Ok, now I've gone overboard with the black permanent marker.  I colored my clear wings black. All black!  It didn't turn out quite as crappy as I thought it would.  The body/tail paint job is really bad I know. I need to figure out how I'm going to fabricate a new tail anyways. Mine is not only twisted but has a few creases/folds in it that have made it very unstable with the slightest force.

black winged Dragonfly

black winged DF black winged DF black winged DF

milw
milw's picture

kewl, er, sinister! Nice job Outpatient! I think I'm going to steampunk mine (as someone else suggested!).

Peter Redmer
Peter Redmer's picture

I like that, I think it's really neat.

Milw - I would love to see the steampunk mod!

Pete