The NEW Elvis skin

30 posts / 0 new
Last post
GWJax
GWJax's picture
The NEW Elvis skin

Hey everyone, I need as many new skin ideas for the project I'm doing with Elvis. So if you have some really good ones please let me know, I have already a terminator with half of the face eaten off and a droid look. I am rebuilding the Elvis from almost the ground up so any help would be helpful. Thanks in advance.

GWJax

MrScott
MrScott's picture

As an alternative to the C3PO, unarticulated, face, you could look at the Sonny robot from IRobot.

Then there's the android from Alien, Ash.

There are only so many disembodied noggins I can envision sitting on a shelf or table. If you're going to put the animatronic head on a body, all the options are open. 

Rudolph
Rudolph's picture

Not that this really helps... Anyone who's head appeard in a jar in Futurama would be great.

milw
milw's picture

A personal Einstein might be pretty cool, but quite a challenge.

Abe Lincoln; Shrek (might be a copyright problem!) 

GWJax
GWJax's picture

yea I thought of Einstein too and give him real AI, but that has been done already. I do like the one in the Jar, but that would be a big jar for the lifesize head. As of giving a body to it I think I would go overboard and make all joints move and it would require a teather attached to it which I don't want. Keep the Ideas comming and I will pick one in about 1 to 2 weeks and start the sculpting process. I would like to get this done in at least 2 months and to sculpt and make a mold and cast it would take around 1 month or so for me. Sorry but I can only go soo fast.

GWJax

MrScott
MrScott's picture

How about a GWJax?

Make a mold and life mask of your own face.

You'll have a ready source of sound clips to pump through the noggin. 

markcra
markcra's picture

British sci-fi / comedy series called Red Dwarf had a character called Holly, the ships computer, which was just a head on a display, way the story went the ship was so old (measured in millenia) that the computer got a bit senile. If I had the skill to model a new skin for Elvis then I'd definitely have a Holly.

"Emergency. Emergency. There's an emergency going on. It's still going on. It's still an emergency. This is an emergency announcement."

GWJax
GWJax's picture

MrScott said: How about a GWJax? Make a mold and life mask of your own face. You'll have a ready source of sound clips to pump through the noggin. 

LOL!!!!!! the problem with that is I scare myself! I don't think this world could handle two of me.

GWJax

GWJax
GWJax's picture

markcra said: British sci-fi / comedy series called Red Dwarf had a character called Holly, the ships computer, which was just a head on a display, way the story went the ship was so old (measured in millenia) that the computer got a bit senile. If I had the skill to model a new skin for Elvis then I'd definitely have a Holly. "Emergency. Emergency. There's an emergency going on. It's still going on. It's still an emergency. This is an emergency announcement."

Find a Picture of Holly for me.

Thanks GWJax

MrScott
MrScott's picture

Google is your friend. "red dwarf holly" image search leads to a pile of reference material.

Holly actually bent genders at one point, so you have a choice of faces. There's original, and older versions on the search, for four options altogether.

Speaking of Red Dwarf, I'd go with a Kryton noggin myself. He's another android. On your far left in this photo.

There also was Rimmer, who was a Hologram with a big "H" on his forehead.

GWJax
GWJax's picture

I do like rimmer, I have to find some videos and watch him to see if he is what i'm looking for. thanks mr scott

GWJax
GWJax's picture

Just finnished skinning Elvis. Kids look away!

talking about taking your face off!

MrScott
MrScott's picture

What did we do before the web?

YouTube Rimmer Search 

Nocturnal
Nocturnal's picture

Holly was always a bit senile, even before he reached his millionth birthday. Just so you know, rimmer is a smeghead.

Before the web, we read books and magazines. 

milw
milw's picture

you mean those flat sheets of stuff that is useful for lighting fires? and wrapping xmas presents of course!

anyone remember Max Headroom?

MrScott
MrScott's picture

Oooooh.... I luhluhluhloooove Max.

The correct answer to "what was before the web"...

Usenet and BBS, of course. 

Nocturnal
Nocturnal's picture

MrScott said: Oooooh.... I luhluhluhloooove Max. The correct answer to "what was before the web"... Usenet and BBS, of course. 

Silly me, I was thinking to far back. Anyone else remeber 300bps modems?

MrScott
MrScott's picture

Remember them?  I can remember wishing I could get one of those new fangled things. 

My college roommate had a Heathkit acoustic coupled modem that he didn't buy the case for. He just used dense foam. It wasn't too sound proof, so I'd wander into his room and whistle carrier frequencies until I saw garbage characters on his Heathkit monitor.

....me so bad.  Tongue out

This was pre-PC. It was just a dumb terminal dialed into campus iron.

But, lest we wander too far afield on the thread topic.

What new skin to give Ol' Elvis?

You could just respin his skin, pad it out, and do the "End of Career" Elvis. 

GWJax
GWJax's picture

You mean the Fat Elvis? Too funny. But back to the 300bps I thought I was the coolest kid in town with a 50bps which I think I still have in the attic. Now that going back a lot of years!

GWJax
GWJax's picture

ok I had to check in I'm still in Atlanta and My sister was able to keep her leg and toes after the vien surgery. Thank God! in spite of what is going on she wanted to put a request in on the Elvis skin after I told what everone had suggested and this was hers. Make a head that has both cartoon and ailen mix and since it's ailen make it learn the a language and after a while of teaching it, it will start telling you about where it has come from and why it's on the earth and also put it on an octopod base so that it has free mobility and roam and learn its surounding and remember it.

I think shes on to something, Something cute for the younger but smart for the older people. What do all of you think? Please comment on this one! thanks in advance GWJax

markcra
markcra's picture

A bit like this?

Only kidding, does sound like an interesting idea but the whole learning process would take a fair amount of effort. Even faking it might be difficult.  

Rudolph
Rudolph's picture

GWJax said: Make a head that has both cartoon and ailen mix and since it's ailen make it learn the a language and after a while of teaching it, it will start telling you about where it has come from and why it's on the earth and also put it on an octopod base so that it has free mobility and roam and learn its surounding and remember it.

So... I take it they gave your sister some pretty good drugs for the surgery? Wink JK

How about one of the round(ish) hexapod bases from lynxmotion? That way it can wander off in any ol direction it wants.

GWJax
GWJax's picture

yea that would work but not at 1,600 dollars I can make one cheaper my self. but that is a good base. I like it  I'll just get rid of the shoulders of Elvis and just mount the head. Thanks for the input. GWJax

Peter Redmer
Peter Redmer's picture

Phew... I remember having a 1200bps modem (never had a 300bps) back in the day.  I had actually programmed my own small BBS with Renegade (anyone remember that?)  Those were the days... we didn't have World of Warcraft, we had MUD's!

I love the skinless Elvis video, by the way!!

Pete 

Nocturnal
Nocturnal's picture

I remember Renegade. I ran a BBS using Maximus.

Peter Redmer
Peter Redmer's picture

Nice... it's great to see that there are others who actually remember this stuff.  Most of the people I was close to back then were nowhere near as geeky as I was.  It was more of a "special" thing to run your own BBS that it is to have your own site these days, it's so easy to get on board with blogs/etc.  Ever play any MUD's?

Nocturnal
Nocturnal's picture

Yup :) I also ran my own mud for a while, it was pretty much just me and a couple of friends. I did have some fun implimenting things (I seem to recall I was using Circle MUD). I recall modifying it so that if you used a ":)" Death would hunt you down and kill you.

Peter Redmer
Peter Redmer's picture

Hehe... the one I played was Aesir, at asgard.viviano.net.  It's long gone, but I believe they revived it recently.  So many hours of my life were put into that.  Seemed like at the time it was more about talking and social interaction, something I think is missing from a lot of the new MMOs.  They seem more focused on questing and loot gathering, and when that's done - see ya!  There's a lot of new muds out there that "keep it real" so to speak - this is one of them that I would like to try someday, if I have the time.

Aetolia 

Pete

GWJax
GWJax's picture

Yea back then I was a Jock and a Geek, I don't know how I pulled that one off. And Yes I did play MUD's. I also had a BBS back then. it ran for a few years and it was for Programming and hacking  into programs side of things. Which I don't do anymore;) probly because I forgot alot os assembly programming, which I have a book starring me in the face right now on that topic.

Oh ya thats Peter for the input on the skined Elvis video.

I have made up my mind on the skin for Elvis. Elvis the Terminator with his red eye. Stay tuned into the Elvis thread and I will open a new Thread for it. Thanks for all you comments.

GWJax

Evans Digregorio
Evans  Digregorio's picture

Can't wait to see it, GWJax.