New wing struts giving more lifting power

13 posts / 0 new
Last post
GWJax
GWJax's picture
New wing struts giving more lifting power

I found a new way to add more lift and stibility to the wings. More testing must be done before I post a pic. but the idea is to add an extra piece of carbonfirber rod to the lower part of the wing, using tape to hold them in place. What I found is it gives the DF more lifting power and a stronger wing. I added 5grms to the CG and it still has the power to lift and fly straight. This is a big plus for some of the mods I have instore of it. I will keep you posted on this as I continue testing. GWJax

milw
milw's picture

Hm, this sounds interesting! Is your rod along the edge? (not sure what the 'lower part' of the wing is- do you mean on the underside?).

Peter Redmer
Peter Redmer's picture

Very cool... can't wait to see what's in store for your DF... 

GWJax
GWJax's picture

milw said: Hm, this sounds interesting! Is your rod along the edge? (not sure what the 'lower part' of the wing is- do you mean on the underside?).

Its the lower wing not top wing. and the rod spreads out from the top most of the wing to a certin part of the outer part or the wing, I don't want to give it away just yet until I am sure this is the proper location for maximum lift.  I will get a pic soon. and maybe try the same thing on the top wing too to see if that has any improvementts. GWJax

iflyrc1012
iflyrc1012's picture

sounds kool jax. maybe a little more juice?? ramp up the voltage maybe? without frying the freekin thing. LOL by the way jax, where you from??

GWJax
GWJax's picture

Just like it sounds Jax, "Jacksonville, FL"

I just had a thought!!!! Since I can lift more weight I can add another battery to it in parallel to increase its current for more fly time. Good idea iflyrc1012

GWJax

GWJax
GWJax's picture

Here is the best place for the extra rod on the lower wings, rod length 78mm, distance from the center bottom crease of wing 78mm and the top of the rod from the center crease to top of rod is 32mm. As the photo shows below. This will give you at least 5.5 grm more lifting power. Placing the rod on the top wing section made no improvements. Use scotch 3m satin finish giftwrap tape to secure the rods in place. Make sure that the other side has the same dimentions as the first so it will still fly streight. Have fun with it and more mods are comming out. GWJax

iflyrc1012
iflyrc1012's picture

Jax,

i was thinking maybe connect another battery in series to ramp-up the power, if the electronics can handle it, i bet the wings would flap at a faster rate giving more lift, faster. or maybe that would just fry the bug huh? betcha the eyes would really burn bright with 7 volts instead of 3.5!!!! but then you need to find another way to charge the bug too! ahh so many possibilities. . . .

GWJax
GWJax's picture

yea I think in series would burn out the electronics, and the eyes! Can you say puff the magic dragonfly. I'd rather have a longer fly time then faster wings, But that just me. GWJax

milw
milw's picture

gwjax, how do you compute 5 g extra lift? did you add more weight and have successful flight?

GWJax
GWJax's picture

Yes. I keep adding weight to the CG of the DF which is close to the tail and body. I could only get around 5.5 g until it would dive down. Plus with 4grms it could start off from the ground. Use some old wings that are broken or take out new rods like I did. But once you put the tape on the wings, Good luck in getting the tape off, Unless you use goof off. GWJax

GWJax
GWJax's picture

I found that when using this wing mod for the Berry the Bee add the wing srtuts to both top and bottom along with a tail mod that you have seen around the site just in case your Bee can not get off the ground and fly into the air. Just found this out when my boss asked me to fix his Bee for his doughters. Now it works alot better and the kids can enjoy it.

Jax

FreddyA
FreddyA's picture

I just found this dead post and doing this wing rod mod right now. Done, works Awesome! Thanks GWJax, how this mod slipped me by for so long I dont know.

Freddy