Computer to RSM communication

6 posts / 0 new
Last post
dogbed79
dogbed79's picture
Computer to RSM communication

I too have been trying to get the computer to recognize the RSM. I downloaded the latest Media Suite 2.1.3. and got the computer to recognize the RSM. I turned on the RSM and selected the USB mode, waited a few seconds and then plugged in the USB cable. In the device manager, it shows up as USB mass storage device under Universal serial bus controllers.and as Generic volume under Storage volumes. It also shows up in My Computer as Removable disk. I right click on the disk and select properties. I click on hardware and it lists the different drives in my system. One is RS media USB device. I click on that and select properties and in the property window I click on Volumes and then Populate. It says Disk - Disk 3, Type - unknown, Status - unreadable, Partition style - not applicable, Capacity - 0MB

I'm working in Windows Xp SP2.

I've tried opening the Media Suite before and after I plug in the USB cable. Nothing comes up in any of the modes as to what is in the RSM.

Also under XP SP2 the help file causes errors and will not bring up the data.

Can anyone help?

Rudolph
Rudolph's picture

Turn on Media, then plug in USB to Media and PC, then select USB mode from Media's menus.

If running on batteries make sure you have sufficiently charged/new batteries. Ideally you should be using the AC adaptor during PC operation if you have one.

It is possible the built in memory is corrupted. I think there's an option somewhere in the Media Suite that can reformat and reinstall the default settings (though I'm not positive about that right now).

Are you using an SD card, or is this just the built in memory? Either way, try it the other way and see what happens. 

dogbed79
dogbed79's picture

Rudolph said: Turn on Media, then plug in USB to Media and PC, then select USB mode from Media's menus. If running on batteries make sure you have sufficiently charged/new batteries. Ideally you should be using the AC adaptor during PC operation if you have one. It is possible the built in memory is corrupted. I think there's an option somewhere in the Media Suite that can reformat and reinstall the default settings (though I'm not positive about that right now). Are you using an SD card, or is this just the built in memory? Either way, try it the other way and see what happens. 

I have tried it both ways, when I plug in the USB cable before going to the USB mode it gives me an exception with a heading of NO DISK. When I select the USB mode and then click on continue, it accepts that. I am running on the AC adaptor. I heve tried it with and without the SD card with the same results. This is the second RSM that I have had. I had the same trouble with both of them.

I can find no reference to reformatting in the help file.

Rudolph
Rudolph's picture

Hmm... I too am running XP SP2 and it worked fine when I last used it. I can't recall the sub-version of my Suite though, all I remember is 2.1. I'll reboot into Winders later this evening and see. Perhaps if 2.1.3 is an upgrade since I last ran mine it'll be broken now too.

What are the PC specs? Maybe it's having issues with Core 2 Duo, or AMD procs, or some other silliness that there's no excuse for. How much RAM? Not sure if that'd really make a difference or not.

Are you plugging it into a straight USB port on the PC, or through a hub? Try a powered hub if you have one available, seems like I've heard Media likes a little more power available in it's usb connection. 

dogbed79
dogbed79's picture

My PC has a Gigabyte motherboard model GA-K8U with an AMD 64 processor. It has 1 gigabyte of memory.

I'm plugging into a powered hub. When I plug it directly into the usb slot it comes up with unknown device.

I have gotten it to work on a laptop that has Windows Vista on it, so there's nothing wrong with the RSM. But the laptop has problems with the 3d graphics which I am trying to resolve with the laptop manufacturer.

Rudolph
Rudolph's picture

Well, mine still seems to be fine.

See this thread for a bit of info about formatting the drive. You may want to search for more info than just that as well.

It wouldn''t surprise me at all if it's an issue with the 64 bit proc. Not having one myself, I can't offer any more than that. Anyone else out there noticed difficulties on AMD64's?