Would you buy a Cub??

35 posts / 0 new
Last post
Anonymous
Anonymous's picture
Would you buy a Cub??

With all the buzz about Wowwee's new products comes the issue of the Alive Cub, Would you buy one??

If so why?

Who would you buy it for?

I personally would not buy one to me they are like Furreal freands

Peter Redmer
Peter Redmer's picture

I think the Alive Cubs are really targeted towards younger children, although, of course, adults can collect them too.

I would definitely purchase it as a gift for a younger child. It would be a welcome change from dolls or stuffed animals that merely make sounds or don't interact at all.  The Alive Cubs are quite realistic :)

Pete 

Nocturnal
Nocturnal's picture

In case you haven't been paying attention blabbermouth, when a post is deleted, there is a noticed that a post was deleted. Since there is no notice here, you either imagined posting a comment, or you posted it in a different thread.

However, I am fairly certain that your current post is going to be deleted fairly soon, give your apparent inability to play nice with others, or post without including insults.

btw, the word is fascist, I suggest you get out a dictonary and look it up. 

blabbermouth
blabbermouth's picture

That's a nice thought robot.  Having a pet has been shown to both lower blood pressure and cortisal levels, and robotic animals have the same effect on the human body.  Thier has been studies done in retirement homes on the effect of robotic animals and it has all been very possitive, but it for robots like Aibo, a dog put out by Sony, and Paro which was developed for theraputic reasons.  With that in mind, although it is more costly, a pleo would be more appriate.  First real step is to start to treat the elderly with the respect and dignity they deserve.  Go in one of those places one time and see how they are treated and think all those people in thier never thought they would wind up in a place like that when they were young.

Nocturnal
Nocturnal's picture

I agree with blabbermouth on this on. One of the thing you need with elderly people is to engage their brains in the here and now. The more interactivity the better.

Out of curiosity, has anyone seen the articles about elderly people playing the Wii? 

MrScott
MrScott's picture

Rumor has it that the Cubs are plush toys with a single motor animating the face.

I haven't seen enough video clips to know how much that motor is able to accomplish, but it sounds like these will be stuffed animals that make faces and noise.

Tech Specs

• 1 X Motor
  • 1 X Speaker
  • 1 X Tilt Sensor
  • 2 X Touch Sensors
  • Micro-Controller with recorded LION CUB sounds
Peter Redmer
Peter Redmer's picture

I have seen the articles about elderly folks and the Wii - and also using the Wii for fitness.

I'll tell you, a few spirited rounds of Wii Sports - Boxing will get your heart rate up... of course, it depends on how passionately you play (I tend to get a little carried away.) 

Back on topic now, I posted a while back on something similar to this.  I think robots have a long way to go in terms of being a real "companion" but the value would lie in the mental stimulation, something "new." Or at least, that's my opinion, from a non-medial background :)

blabbermouth
blabbermouth's picture

As a tennis player I have been curious about the WII.  Im curious if wi can decect the kind of stroke you use or just looks for hand eye coordination.  Regardless, it would help a tennis game if the Wi player used proper technique.  As for companionship, I take pleo when i have allot of driving to do or if i'm cleaning and he does kind of keep me company although he is very depending.  And he is fairly limited to tug of war.  But still he seems so damn real that three people thought he was real.  I had to stop typing because he decided to take a stroll between me and my computer.  But I read about a woman who had to move to a retirment village and she could not bring a live animal so she bought Tencko.  Now this robot is so abnoxious sometimes parents by Tenko so thier kids that are bugging them for real puppies won't want them anymore, and Tenko was this womans companion.  Robopet could be a companion even though he requires remote control and he actually seems disobediant.
1  The one was pleos doing.  walked up and dipped his head on the keyboard.  But to me a real companion robot will be like a vicorias secret model with all the proper antomy.  Now that's companionship.   I could retire really happy with something like that!

GWJax
GWJax's picture

even Though I love the WowWee Alive series , I am veery disapointed with the cub. I do believe that the Cub should not be in the Alive series but in a diffrent serries as the Plato, now is another story this should be in the Alive series but WowWee did not make it. What a shame. I think they will come around again and make the Alive series great again with the next bot "One can only hope"

Peter Redmer
Peter Redmer's picture

I'm curious now, Jax - What kind of bots would you like to see added to the Alive series? 

GWJax
GWJax's picture

Take the Plato. Now this is an Alive bot with learning AI installed in it. I would like to see for the next Alive product an Alien life form with AI learning and a complete pc/mac controlled adapter to add diffrent DNA into it. Almost like that game Creachers, it does not have to walk but moving arms would be nice. I know WowWee has that technology to make such a bot but will they get on the band wagon and create another Great Alive bot.

J. T.
J. T.'s picture

I would add a crocodile to the alive series. And NO, I would not want ot buy a cub.

Peter Redmer
Peter Redmer's picture

That's a great idea, Jax - a life-like alien, eh?  Might be pretty creepy to some folks but to others, it would be a hackable dream robot!

I'd have one set up in the entryway/door of my home, "greeting" guests... hehe!

GWJax
GWJax's picture

Hey Peter, I just had a thought. Why don't we make a contest on creating your own Alive series robot using at least 1 part that came from a WowWee robot. All other parts can come from something else. We have alot of tallent out there and lets see what everyone can come up with. This will boost up the site and make everyones mind go in overdrive to win this contest. The winner will be voted by the members of the group and you can not vote for your own robot just to make things fair. The prize can be what ever Robo Community desides on, like maybe a choise of what ever robot WowWee offers. hehe. So what do you think? Also an Article must be made along with the entry so voters can view the process before making their final vote. Give at least 6 months to complete the bot as well.

J. T.
J. T.'s picture

Thats no fair to people who do not know how and aren't alowed to hack. A good and bad idea at the same time.

Peter Redmer
Peter Redmer's picture

Thanks for the great idea, Jax - if that's something we can do, I'll keep you posted.  Keep the great ideas coming!

J. T.
J. T.'s picture

Is you guys deaf??

GWJax
GWJax's picture

J.T. you have to remember that the Guide lines for any contest is that you must be at least 18 years of age. If you are at least 18 years old then I would suggest you move out of your parrents house so you can make your own disissions on what you can hack and what you can't. Sorry J.T. but you would not be able to compete in any contest until your of age.

J. T.
J. T.'s picture

I understand. Actually I'm 87 years old. My hands don't allow me to hack.

GWJax
GWJax's picture

OK! then act like an 87 year old person rather than a teen. lol

Peter Redmer
Peter Redmer's picture

Alright, alright - let's get along everybody! :)

We try to make all contests as fair as possible.  Not offering a hacking contest just because someone can't hack is like not offering a Java contest because someone can't program, not starting a running race because there are folks out there who can't run, or something similar.  If any contest provider followed that logic, no contest on anything could ever be offered, ever, anywhere.

So, if you can't participate in one contest, or choose not to because you're not interested, you may want to stick around and see if the next contest interests you... just for an example.  We'll always try to start contests that are fun and interesting for everyone!

Pete 

J. T.
J. T.'s picture

W-Whatd you say? I didn't uh whats that word again? Uhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh... Oh yeah hear you?

GWJax
GWJax's picture

just having fun Peter!

Peter Redmer
Peter Redmer's picture

No problem guys, have fun! :)

GWJax
GWJax's picture

will do. thanks pete

J. T.
J. T.'s picture

Yep just havin' fun.

GWJax
GWJax's picture

So J.T. what would you like in the Alive series that you could build? by your self or as a group?

J. T.
J. T.'s picture

Do you mean a new product suggestion, or hacked on parts. If it's the latter, then I would combine the head of a raptor with the torso of a V1 the arms of a V2, and the legs of the tribot. If you mean the former, then a croc would be a nice adition. Or a roach.

blabbermouth
blabbermouth's picture

JT, I can't hack either but who knows, maybe someone in this forum will come up with a better robot for wow wee, lord knows wow wee needs all the help they can get!  But even though you and I can't hack, doesn't mean that it wouldn't be interesting to see the videos of what people come up with.  Alien life form is a great idea for the wrong company.  Peter, I don't think an alien has to be the slightest bit creepy.  You are probably too young to remember the film E.T. The Extra Terrestrial, but everybody thought he was the cutest thing in the world and everyone wanted an E.T.  The little girl in that movie said she use to talk to the puppet when she was on the set.  Ugobe is the one to do such a project and should be suggested in that forum.  There is a forum for suggestions for future ugobe projects and that one is perfect for Ugobe.  Wow Wee aready attempted an alien life form and they failed badly.  Go to like a sharper image and play around with a roboquad sometime and you will see exactly what i'm talking about.  But back to the hack contest for the alive series is outright brilliant.   For a younger crowd its genius.  The most awsome thing about the robot movement is that it is reinventing the imagination in young people again.  I don' t believe that the world and the usa is going to hell in a handbasket like the rest of the world, but I do think that techknology has taken away the imagination of youth with video games that engage the mind without being creative of finding something to do.  Robots bring back the imagination whether it is pleo drinking water from a dry floor or if it is robopet taking a leak on an imaginery fire hydrant, you have to use your imagination to play with your robot.  No rules to follow, no pattern established, just the robot and your imagination.  Than add the hacking and its perfect. 

blabbermouth
blabbermouth's picture

Part 2

My post is so long I have to add a second part to it even though there is a 10-1 chance it will get deleted.  Video games is watching tv with a controller in your hand, a robot the sky is the limit.  When Japan started to excell over USA kids in education we modeled our education system after the Japanese and downsized the art, drama and music programs.  We were a country of inventors and now were a country of lawyers and doctors.  We stole creativity from youth.   My feeling that robots is a first step to bring back our enginuity.  Anyways, thats a windy way of saying let the games begin!  If i came across as more boring than sarcastic and  provocative/contravercial, I apologise, but I think robot movement is cool and I love the passion for it.   Keep thinking!

Pages