Solar powered dragonfly?

9 posts / 0 new
Last post
Peter Redmer
Peter Redmer's picture
Solar powered dragonfly?

This is really a beautiful work of art. James G. Watt has constructed a number of these robots, and they really look neat.

This tiny bug uses the power of the sun to move its wings. This would be a really great concept to apply to the WowWee Dragonfly... it's intriguing to think of a solar powered R/C toy!

Check it out at MAKE!

GWJax
GWJax's picture

that it would be but the shear weight would not be good. You would have to enlarge everything on it. Hmmmmmm as the brain goes woundering off into no mans land.

milw
milw's picture

That is really cool, I love how realistic he got the tail to look with the diminishing capacitors. Thanks for finding that Pete! (I'm still reading through my issue of Make, my son keeps grabbing it every time I show him something!)

cheers- Scott 

GWJax
GWJax's picture

Make, I must get the subscription and get the one for online. I seen that mag. and I really like it. So many diffrent things in there. I might get it right now.hehehehe

Billboard
Billboard's picture

Solar panels are small but they are not easy to package and are not the toughest things in the world. They are kinda like glass. A fall would break those things. Maybe if there was somekind of plastic case around them, it would work but I wouldnt buy one of those because it would be heavy and harder to control and look at the tail. My goodness, that looks large and where is the turning thing now? I dont see it.

I would have to check this out more to write a better thought though. Ill look at it later

MrScott
MrScott's picture

It's a kinetic sculpture, not an actual flying ornithoptor like the FlyTech DragonFly.

It's meant to sit on your sunny windowsill, and slowly flap its wings and look all sparkly.

A work of techie-art, not a flying machine. 

Oh the tech side of solar powered flyers, there has been considerable work done with long duration, high altitude drones that extend their flying time by generating some power form solar cells.

http://www.nasa.gov/centers/dryden/news/FactSheets/FS-034-DFRC.html 

GWJax
GWJax's picture

solar cells come in all shapes and sizes, I have one that is so flexable that I can rap it around my finger and its very light but not much amps in it.

Billboard
Billboard's picture

I saw in about five years, solar panels will be more powerfull for their size. They are changing every day.

MrScott
MrScott's picture

The cost of the traditional photovoltaic cells is coming down, too.  The semiconductor companies have found that the scrap wafers from the process line are in demand by the solar cell fabbers. The solar cell manufacturers can take the scrap wafers and reprocess them to make the much simpler solar cell structures.

Good for the semi-con folks (money from scrap). Good for the solar cell market (a leg up on fabbing product).