Bladestar advertised in Target fliers!

85 posts / 0 new
Last post
GWJax
GWJax's picture

Yea I just read the manual. So now that my mod is done I'll go play with it more.:)

MrScott
MrScott's picture

So is this thing actually controllable, or is it more like trying to steer a balloon with a hair dryer?

Is it responsive to directional controls, or just sort of wander in the general direction your directing it to go? 

milw
milw's picture

Seems to be a time lag of at least a second before it starts to respond, then it moves at a leisurely horizontal rate. You can hear some chirping in the motors as you press a control button.

GWJax
GWJax's picture

Yes it is controllable but very slow at it. If you want it to move to the left just press and hold the left button until your at the point you want it. It makes no diffrents where you stand it always see's you in the back of it so if you want to go right press right and so forth. the only problem I found that it does not like bright lights. so the darker the room the better. I may try it outside since its dark and no wind. I let you know how it goes.

ryandh
ryandh's picture

4 in my local store, I bought 2..  And as a bonus, they had the JetScream in stock that they hadn't had in a while..

Peter Redmer
Peter Redmer's picture

Glad to see they've hit stores.... everyone's so excited!!! Keep us posted on your first experiences with Bladestar. I'm anxious to hear how everyone feels about its autonomous flight mode, specifically.

And congratulations on your first mod, GW - you just couldn't resist, eh??  (You rock!)

Pete 

milw
milw's picture

I'm trying to load a first video to youtube but it's taking forever... might have to try again later. Meanwhile, I'm going to go try flying it again!

ryandh
ryandh's picture

milw said: Another question- when someone gets the 'flame' version- is your LED yellow? I'm willing to bet that all of the Dragon pattern wings all have red LEDs, so I'm curious if there's any other internal difference? 

Yep, it's yellow.

ryandh
ryandh's picture

GWJax said: Just had to get the FIRST mod out for the BladeStar and it's for the remote. The center green LEDs I had to do something with it so I thought the top Led should be red so when it's fully charged the red LED will blink. so here is a picture of the insides and the mod. I know my Father would just shake is head and say "You just could not leave it alone now could you?" hehehe

Hmm, I think you should redo it with red on the bottoms and green on the top for fully charged..

Maybe red on the bottom, 3 yellows, then green..

milw
milw's picture

Well, since GWJax broke into his controller, I felt compelled to be the first to cut into the Bladestar itself! Here's an LED mod- I cut a hatch in the foam near the charging plug. The foam is maybe 0.25" thick. The LED that flashes is an SMT right next to the charging plug (- contact beside the plug; + contact away from plug). I took out the SMT and put in a 2 mm green LED on longish legs, so it sticks out a bit. I expected it to make the Bladestar wobble, but it doesn't seem to. Here's a couple of images (while charging) and a 10 second test flight... (then it crashed cuz I couldn't wait for it to charge all the way!). I'm glad caturday is coming soon! cheers- Scott

MrScott
MrScott's picture

Oh, my goodness!

It's not like you're going to sneak up on anybody with one of these, is it?

Quite a screamer. 

Nocturnal
Nocturnal's picture

Cutting the foam is probably not the best way to get inside your BladeStar. With a little care, and effort, you can convice the foam to part from the body.  This is a photo I took yesterday when I opened mine up.

The battery is in the bottom, I haven't quite convinced the foam at the bottom to come loose yet. 

GWJax
GWJax's picture

OK! since the BladeStar had already been cut out it's my turn now! I'll do it tonight to go along with a mod article for the remote and bladestar! hehe thanks guys! I thought I could play with it before someone cut into it but noooooooo you could not wait either lol. I just love this group!

milw
milw's picture

Nocturnal, what is the silver thing in the upper cone? Anyway, at least with the hatch-cutting approach, she's still flyable without having to glue the shell back together. Tho I suppose a bit of tape would probably work wonders for you, eh? I had been thinking there was some kind of plastic frame inside there, but I guess the shell itself is the physical support for the top LED and the detector. Here's a question- d'you think widening the hole on the top to give the top LED a wider field of illumination, might help with detecting the ceiling earlier?

GWJax
GWJax's picture

and we can paint siver inside for more ir reflection. I'll try this this weekend or tonight.

milw
milw's picture

Yer awesome, GW! Can't wait to see what you do with it!

Nocturnal
Nocturnal's picture

No need to glue the parts back together, friction holds them in place pretty well... unless you crash. A small ammount of sticky tape, or maybe blue tack would be sufficient.

What was the rating on the DragonFly's battery again? the BladeStars is 3.7v 50mA.

The silver is a essentially a piece of foil to block stray IR bouncing around inside the body from getting to the receiver. Increasing the diamter of the hole might work, I'll see if I can get the LED out (I think its glued in). 

MrScott
MrScott's picture

Any confirmation of control mechanisms yet?

Is it throttling the motors during half the rotation to tilt the beastie one way or another?

That control scheme would be workable with the  "all direction commands are relative to where the remote is" observations.

• Move to left - slow down motor as it swings around to the side to the left of the remote
  • Move forward - slow down motor as it swings away from remote

That presupposes that by slowing the motor, the BladeStar tilts towards that side, thus providing some lateral forces from the now tilted rotors. 

GWJax
GWJax's picture

while turnning one motor will studder while the other speeds up. Still not sure in what direction or which motor does what. I have to get a tack on the blades to determine this. I'll get this done this weekend. I have a cool light show I'm going to do on the beast. so I'll let you know how it works out.

milw
milw's picture

Nocturnal said: What was the rating on the DragonFly's battery again? the BladeStars is 3.7v 50mA.

I had to check back on the Dragonfly battery article, yes it is also 50 mAh.

abe77
abe77's picture

2 ebay sellers selling these already. and my local target havent received them yet

DaveC19
DaveC19's picture

I think I may have a bum one.  But I want to make sure before returning it. 

I am flying in it's supposed ideal environment, darker room with white walls and flat ceiling.  I am using "autopilot".  I Put in new batteries.

Sometimes it will, without me changing the throttle, go up to the ceiling and just stick and spin there like a top.  It doesn't respond to the controls or throttle for awhile then it will just drop.

Sometimes it will not detect my hand, it won't change direction.

When I press the pad it doesn't do anything.  I know it reads *something* as it does respond to throttle most of the time.

Sometimes the LED on the bladestar will flash.  What does that mean? There doesn't seem to be a reference to flashing in the manual.

Did I get a bum one or is it just a bit dodgy by design?

GWJax
GWJax's picture

Sorry to hear that but I too am having problems, The battery is dead and will not recharge. So rather than mess around with it and replace the battery. I will undo my led mod and return it for another one and start all over. :( I only got 5 flites out of it.

milw
milw's picture

The flashing means it can't see the remote; you have to keep it aiming directly at it all the time. After 10 seconds of flashing it is supposed to stop the motors and drop. Mine keeps sucking to the ceiling too, I haven't been able to get it to see the ceiling at all. I can keep it hovering by throttle adjustments, and in RC mode can move it around fairly well, tho sending a movement command seems to make it start losing altitude (when you hear the motor pitch change).

I don't believe mine has detected anything to the side either; what I have seen seems to be more an effect of suction or prop wash- if you put your hand about 4" under it, you can 'boost' it up, or putting your hand about 4" above, you can 'lift' it. Holding my hands to one side of it, it does seem to move away but I don't hear any change in the motor, so I think it is just getting some air blown back from my hands. Hard to tell for sure tho.

Also, it won't be easy to make the hole for the upper LED bigger. The LED is mounted in a plastic 'can' that is glued into the foam, and the LEDs legs go through holes in the bottom of the can so you can't just slide it off.

GW, so your charger LEDs keep running up and it never stops? That is disapointing I must say :(

Here's a shortish video showing some control. Pilot: Owen; cameraman: me

ryandh
ryandh's picture

I get some control but not great.  My biggest issue is flight time.  I only get about a minute of any altitude.  After that it keeps dropping..

milw
milw's picture

Ryandh, if you notice the tips of the wings getting bent down from collisions (mine are!) you can bend them flat again. I'm actually experimenting with bending the tips up to maybe enhance lift (it seems the last 2-3 mm is what gets bent easily). On the first demo Bladestar I tried, the plain wings actually worked alot better than the flame wings, with no real obvious difference between them. Might be worth trying the other pair...

DaveC19
DaveC19's picture

I don't understand this lack of side sensing.  If you watch that CES video you can see the guy moving it around with his hand at will.  Mine isn't anywhere close to that.  Doesn't make sense, maybe they are all bad?

milw
milw's picture

The manual says something about sensors being disabled under some condition... hang on, I'll try to find it.

Ok, actually its a Note on page 7 under Autopilot Mode:"The side sensors only scan for obstacles after you have pressed the left or right direction button".

Also I just noticed, you're supposed to let it hover in Autopilot while it scans for the ceiling, then (if I undersstand correclty, it will start to rise by itself. Manual sez "Do not try to control Flytech Bladestar during this time, as you might cause it to become unstable. After this it will begin to fly higher".)

hm, I'll have to try this again following the directions more carefully! 

GWJax
GWJax's picture

Ok, I'm back up and working, Traded in the first one after de-modifying it and now re-charging the new on. lets see how this will work! I'm going to hold off on the LED remote mod for a few days and then redue it with diffrent color leds like the first post about making the bottom red and center yellow and top green, I like this combo. So I'll have to find these colors in the right shape. The dragons are gone "d!@# " but I have the flames and the led inside is yellow. I've been working on a small circuit to install in the bottom of the hub to add flashing leds one each where the black buttons are on the side. Also I'm going to install a SMD led on the wings as well. Well see how that turns out?! Also I been looking at the top IR sensor. It is in a black tube and glued in placed, I'm not sure what the ratings are for this but might change it to a better IR with a smoked lens to see if this helps out in dectecting the ceiling.

Jsmooth21
Jsmooth21's picture

Hey guys. I'm new to robocommunity. I've been following the comments on bladestar for the last few days and figured I'd join up with you all. I live in San Diego, CA and fortunate enough to  just have picked  a bladestar up (Dragon.) So yeah, SD's definitly got em. They had four on the shelves. When you call ask them to search for "bladestar,'" and yes they can put one on hold for you.

Pages