Chatterbots Announced - What Do You Think?

7 posts / 0 new
Last post
Peter Redmer
Peter Redmer's picture
Chatterbots Announced - What Do You Think?

Hey everybody - the WowWee Chatterbots were just annouced (check news here), and will be available now (or soon).  I checked at Target and iQVC's websites and they haven't showed up yet, but I imagine they will pop up shortly.

Check out my review of the Dog/Cat model.  I really had a lot of fun!

So, what do all of you think?  Will you be going out and getting your own Chatterbot?  Which model do you think you'll go for?  If not, why not? 

If you have any ideas or plans on how you will customize or hack them, I'd love to see a thread on that topic, too!  Keep the ideas coming :)

Pete 

NoroBiik
NoroBiik's picture

Pete, does your Chatterbot react during your chat sessions?  Does it respond when new mail comes in?

Peter Redmer
Peter Redmer's picture

Chatterbot will react to what you type within applications, so yes, it interacted with me during chat sessions.

I didn't notice it react to incoming mail, however. I'm not sure if that's because of the email client I was using, because the incoming mail didn't contain keywords the Chatterbot was looking for, or because Chatterbot doesn't react to incoming mail at all.

I'd love to hear the experiences of others, too, to see what they've found. I imagine there's a lot of "hidden" responses that one may only hear after having the Chatterbot for a long time.

MrScott
MrScott's picture

I've had the Dog-Cat one for several weeks. I was "strongly encouraged" by my wife and kids to not have it autostart, and to not start it all when anybody else was in the room. Guess they didn't appreciate the humor of it.

Mostly it's because the PC is in a shared space where the television is. While I'm tapping away at the PC, somebody else is often watching television. I can't hold it against them that they don't want a snarky chatterbot piping up while they're watching their shows.

It also can serve as an external speaker for an MP3 player. It will make an attempt to synch the head movements and eye flashes to the music. Kind of fun, by the motor noise is a distraction if you're looking for a clean sound experience.

GWJax
GWJax's picture

Mr scott where did you find your chatter box, I'm looking for the Fairy God Father to do hacks on it. must find, must find, must find. I think I typed that aloud sorry I was thinking that. hehe

MrScott
MrScott's picture

I participated in a small Beta-testing program for the product that initially included just the PC side of the product.

GWJax
GWJax's picture

Darn.......