DragonFly Flight Video - Out and About

11 posts / 0 new
Last post
MrScott
MrScott's picture
DragonFly Flight Video - Out and About

Just a little something I cobbled together this evening.

idrum289
idrum289's picture

Those things are awesome. They are on sale in Kmart here in OZ for AUD$88 I think. What specific manouvres does it have?

MrScott
MrScott's picture

The controls are pretty basic.

Speed of flapping
Speed of turn to left
Speed of turn to right

The rest is up to the flier.

My "safe mode" is to go into a slow circle. That levels out any porpoising that it's prone to, and keeps the Dragonfly in range of the controller.

I can do slaloms, figure eights, flapless flutters & restarts (for dropping fast), and controlled flight into terrain (i.e. crashing)

idrum289
idrum289's picture

Cool. I assume replacement parts are available if, er...you know...

Currahee
Currahee's picture

they r on sale in the U.S. at walmart for $25

idrum289
idrum289's picture

I suppose they sell well?

MrScott
MrScott's picture

I'm still on my original set of wings. The package contained a spare set that I haven't used. I also picked up another spare set from a local RadioShack store....just in case.

My DragonFly has fallen, unpowered, after being shaken loose from branches 20 feet over the ground. It has run into things under full power. It has fallen in a steep dive onto pavement. It's tougher than it's foam and plastic construction would lead you to think.

Peter Redmer
Peter Redmer's picture

Beautiful video, MrScott. I also flew my Dragonfly this 4th of July weekend, and didn't have anywhere nearly as smooth of a flight as you had. It gets pretty windy out here and it kind of blew all over the place... but flew well regardless.

Your video shows how it can really be flown. I'll have to keep my fingers crossed that I can get a less windy day to really get the most out of my DF.

MrScott
MrScott's picture

The winds usually drop off at dusk here, so my neighbors will often see me out in the yard flapping my 'fly as the Sun slides down behind the trees.

I'm not saying all of the launches are like those two. There were more bloopers than keepers in getting that sustained flight in front of a fixed position camcorder.

nara
nara's picture

where to buy the toy?

MrScott
MrScott's picture

nara said:
where to buy the toy?

These are a couple of years old now, and available from all sorts of different stores.

I saw them this week at Big Lots for $20.

I have previously seen tham at WalMart, Toys-R-Us, and Radio Shack.

There's always online ordering if you cannot find one in a local store.

http://www.google.com/products?q=wowwee+dragonfly

http://www.esend.com/WowWee/Products.aspx?Catalog=WowWee&ProductID=4031(Esend)