Elmo Live Dissected

222 posts / 0 new
Last post
mariahdevans
mariahdevans's picture

You guys should also try dissecting Rock Star Mickey and Dance Star Mickey from Fisher-Price/Mattel. There is even a new elmo toy called Let's Rock Elmo that I would love to see dissected.

GWJax
GWJax's picture

Bad news,

I had a house fire on 29 April that destroyed all my data, photos, movies, robots, electronic test equipment ect. So unless I get another Elmo Alive and my test equipment back I can no longer help you all out. I hope Retroplayer pops in from time to time to help everyone out.

Good luck with any of your repairs but I think everything has been covered in this thread so please read it over from the start and I'm sure you'll find your answers to your problems.

Happy Hacking,

Jax

OmnibotMan
OmnibotMan's picture

OMG thats terrible!!!

Tiffany
Tiffany's picture

I'm so, so sorry to hear that Jax!!! What a nightmare!

GWJax
GWJax's picture

yea it does suck but in the long run I get new equipment. But as for the robots I'll never see some of the old ones again. I guess that's life. ;)

Jax

OmnibotMan
OmnibotMan's picture

Wow, even the elvinator? And do you know how to get yellowing out of white plastic?

RetroPlayer
RetroPlayer's picture

GWJax, You, my friend, have had some of the worst luck lately. Inspiring to see how good of spirits you keep in light of it all. Best wishes, amigo.

Omnibotman, check out "retrobright" for reversing the yellowing of old plastics.

http://retr0bright.wikispaces.com/

Retro

GWJax
GWJax's picture

The Elvinator has had some more fire damage to it so it will not work but I was able to keep it anyways.. hehehe I just adds to the look. When I get another camera I'll post a photo of him and yes my 2 cameras were destroyed as well. :(

@Retro,Your right about my luck but if there was no bad luck my way I would not have any luck at all. All I can do is just keep smiling and enjoy life while I can. and good to see you back buddy!!!

Jax

gerber
gerber's picture

Hi

Jax > So sorry to hear about the fire Jax. That is terrible news.

Retroplayer > The only way I thought removing the yellow sun damage from old plastic was to paint the plastic. That's great as I have a rs v1 which is discoloured yellow and now there is hope for it to have it's whiteness brought back. cheers for the link.

Cheers
Gerber

GWJax
GWJax's picture

OK retro I have one for ya. How do you repair a bot that was melted by fire. LOL answer: "Buy another one" hehehe

Jax

OmnibotMan
OmnibotMan's picture

@Jax i hope you get all new stuff and a new house. What part caught?

@retro Thanks, I'll try the retrobright.

RetroPlayer
RetroPlayer's picture

Only partially back. Should be able to spend more time on things next month. I still lurk ocassionally, though.

GWJax
GWJax's picture

OmnibotMan said: @Jax i hope you get all new stuff and a new house. What part caught?

The house is being rebuilt so that I can use my wheelchair in it better like wider doors and a walkin shower and ramps through out the outside doors.

What started it was a shorted wire in the attic over the garage and from there it ran through the roof after it destroyed all my contents in the garage. Over $32K was lost in the garage alone and the total house took another $62K worth of damage. So when they are done I'll have an updated house and New house as well. All this for the low cost of my deductable of $500 US. I guess you can't beet it at that price..

Down side is that I have to start all over with my robotics and electronics which sucks because I had over 2 terabyte of info that I lost and did not store it off site. I learned my lesson on that so now I'll make sure that I have everything off site just to be on the safe side..

Jax

OmnibotMan
OmnibotMan's picture

Thats really terrible!!

GWJax
GWJax's picture

Ya it is but that's life.. The world never stops just because someone is having trouble in their life.. All is well and I'm trying to start all over now. Oh boy is that going to be fun... NOT!!!

Jax

OmnibotMan
OmnibotMan's picture

Well very best wishes of getting back a whole new bot collections!

GWJax
GWJax's picture

OmnibotMan said: Well very best wishes of getting back a whole new bot collections!

OMG my wife had found 2 bots that were in the fire and saved them without telling me. She found the RoboRaptor and the RoboRover. They have extensive smoke damage and not much heat damage with no remotes. Not sure if they work but I'll need to open them up and clean everything before trying them out... VERY VERY Happy this morning....

Bought a new Lego NTX kit to start off the new collection last week :)

Jax

gerber
gerber's picture

Hi Jax

That is great news that you still have 2 of your original bots even though they have smoke damage, hope they still work.

After you mentioning about loosing all your data in the fire it made me think and even though I do have backups, they are all store in my house so if something similar happen to me I would loose all my work, so I have now made an online backup.

I hope you get new a new robot collection and I am glad to see getting started on your new robot collection with lego NTX kit.

Cheers
Gerber

OmnibotMan
OmnibotMan's picture

Wow, thats great!!

Artex
Artex's picture

Hey,
I was so amazed by the ideas in the thread that IÂ’d decided to give it a shot myself.
Although IÂ’m now feeling as though IÂ’ve jumped into the deep end.
IÂ’ve gone out and gotten an elmo.
IÂ’ve stripped him of his fur and are unsure where to start.
What programing do you use to reprogram movement and sound?
Peace.

Artex
Artex's picture

Hey again.
I'm new to robotics but cant wait to get started.

Besides the elmo what equipment will I need to successfully hack elmo

RetroPlayer
RetroPlayer's picture

Artex, you probably wouldn't need much more than an arduino and a motorshield for it. Then you could just replace the electronics all together. That may be easier than trying to hack him. Man, I am so far behind on all my personal projects. :(

http://www.ladyada.net/make/mshield/

This one controls up to 4 DC motors. You might need to do some IO expansion to include enough IO for the encoders and buttons, too.

If/when I ever get time to mess with it again, I will be replacing the electronics. Not much patience for hacking it as-is, though it was interesting to try to find secret stuff. Just never actually found anything.

Good luck!

sevik
sevik's picture

Welcome back RP :))

RetroPlayer
RetroPlayer's picture

Sevik, never really left. I have lurked off and on for quite some time now. Just haven't had the time to get involved in any projects in a very long time. Seems I had much more time when I worked the night shift.

I was just looking at the original date of this thread. It was almost exactly 3 years ago. And out of all the stuff I have posted, this one has been the most popular. Go figure. lol

Did you ever do anything with the Elmo I sent you, Sevik?

sevik
sevik's picture

Not Yet :)

deelzbub
deelzbub's picture

Retro- Hope you find time to work on your Elmo again soon. Looking forward to learning how to change the sound (soundcard/MP3/whatever) on a robot like this. I have a Fur Real cat that I want to teach to talk.

Buttafly
Buttafly's picture

Hi there. I have this elmo live given to my daughter 2 years ago on the birth of her baby sister and no one has played with it. Just gave it to them today and it's mouth/neck keeps making a clicking sound when it talks. When switched off, I can move its head forward and mouth opens itself. Can't really move it back except for when I pinch the fur back and that pulls the head back slightly and mouth opens. No rattling sound in the hea. When on and it's speaking, have tried to hold rad straight but it makes a constant clicking sound but doesn't fix the problem. I have the packaging and receipt but purchased in dec 2009 so toys r us won't do anything now. I have no idea what to do, please help. Thanks

goga13
goga13's picture

Hello!
My name is George.
I from Russia the city of Moscow.
Wanted to learn from you, it is possible
To reprogram robot Elmo Live.
That he could speak Russian
Thanks!.

kandsjunk
kandsjunk's picture

okay...i know this thread is old but thought i'd try. so, I have the same clicking a lot of people comment about. I removed the fur and see the encoder is in the correct position already (facing away from wires or forward when elmo is in neutral position). I took out the motor anyway and moved the head freely...however, the encoder does not rotate like the post said it would. It does if I push the wiper up a bit from the forward/neutral position and then move the head or if I push it down a bit from forward/neutral position and move head...but it seems to be stuck in forward/neutral position...which I assume is why it is clicking. I hope that makes sense. His mouth does open at times but only in the extreme positions...looking up or leaning forward. Can anyone tell me what I can do next? Thanks so much!!

kandsjunk
kandsjunk's picture

got it...gear box for head stripped. grrr. not sure how to fix that. wonder if the company sells those replacement parts??

Pages