Rovio Re-Connect Issue

53 posts / 0 new
Last post
pacebedo
pacebedo's picture
Rovio Re-Connect Issue

Has anyone had this problem?

This seems to happen both when I'm trying to access Rovio either at home through my own wifi network or remotely through an IP address. Rovio is docked and the battery is full but after a long period of non use Rovio seems to lose the IP address.  Anyway, I set up a static IP so it should remember what IP address it is.  It is only when I power cycle Rovio that I am able to access it.  Perhaps it's a situation where Rovio "goes to sleep" after an extended period of time of non-use that it forces the user to power cycle to robot.  However, as far as I'm concerned if I'm going on vacation I'd like to check my house without having someone first  power cycle it.  Either way, does anyone think it's a rovio issue or is it something with my Router?

Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

Rudolph
Rudolph's picture

Does your router know it's not sending Rovio a DHCP address?

Make sure your router has a set range of DHCP addresses to use, then make sure Rovio's is outside that range.

Otherwise, I've no idea :)

epyon
epyon's picture

Here's some possibilities...

1. Your router enforces a time limit on the DHCP lease. If a device isn't active on the network for a period of time it requires that it do a DHCP renew in which case it will get a different IP address than before.

If you can remotely log into your routers admin utility you could use it to check for devices on your network and see if Rovio has gotten a new IP since you last connected to it (or if it has simply disappeared). Then you would use that IP to find the web utility once again. Make sure to ping it as a web browser isn't always the best indicator of whether something is actually online.

If you're manually setting an IP then this is moot, but in that case you might want to check and see that there isn't and IP conflict with something else on the network.

2. Dead spots. There are spots in any wifi network where the signal strength is poor to non-existent due to obstacles in the signal path. Most of us are used to desktops that don't move and laptops that are always used in the same areas of the house. Rovio is likely traveling to areas that no other wifi device has ever gone before and its entirely possible that some of those areas have poor signal. If its happening while docked then read on.

3. Interference. A lot of homes with old or poorly shielded wiring can make a wireless network rather unreliable. This can also happen if you're placing your router or your wifi enabled device close to something than causes interference like a computer or some other electrical device (consult your routers manual and it should tell you what all not to do). If this is the case your Rovio may have intermittent connectivity. Find a spot with good signal strength with your laptop and move your base station there instead.

4. Your router is rubbish. They're not all made equally. It could have poor range. It could have issues keeping a connection alive. I could have issues with WEP. Try and turn all security off and testing Rovio near to it. Otherwise, just go out and buy the tried and test Linksys wrt54g for cheap and use it instead. Nearly all draft N routers are highly problematic for the moment (hence the "draft") so I would try and avoid them if possible.

5. Your Rovio's internal wifi adapter is defective. Try upgrading the firmware or RMA it for a new one if it seems that it can't be fixed.

There's a lot of factors at play here so I'd really suggest having a close look at your wifi network before assuming that Rovio has an issue.

Hope this helps.

jim81661
jim81661's picture

can not open my ip address from out side my home does any one know why

Fraggboy
Fraggboy's picture

I have been experiencing the same issue.. But, I am not running a 'home router'. I am using a Business-grade Juniper firewall. When I experience the reconnect issue, it is while the Rovio is on the base, not moving. So, we can rule out the moving issue. I run 2 SSID's on my device. One for my laptops and such using WPA2, while the 2nd SSID is running WEP for Rovio. Different subnets, and client isolation is enabled. Even if someone were to get into the Rovio connection, they won't be able to get to the internet, or my internal network for that matter. I only allow traffic "IN" to Rovio. Rovio isn't allowed to initiate ay outbound traffic.

One thing that I have found is that when I 'push' a wireless reset on my firewall, Rovio won't reconnect. I have to manually power-cycle Rovio before it will connect again. I have given Rovio a static IP address, and have tried using a dynamic IP to no avail. I have broadcasted the SSID, as well as hiding the SSID. No change in behavior. I am leaning that there is a firmware issue within the Rovio itself. I have brought this to WowWee's attention. If you have the same issue, please fill out a service request with WowWee so they are aware of it.

I thought it was a sleep issue also. I use to turn off Rovio during the night and before I go to work, turn him back on. I found out tha sometimes he would register with my firewall. If he didn't, I asked my Fiance to power-cycle him so he would.

Nocturnal
Nocturnal's picture

My Rovio always reconnects to my wireless network. That is to say, if he is responding to traffic (say pinging him), and I reboot or powercycle my wireless access point, Rovio will reconnect. If Rovio is already non-responsive (ie locked up), it (obviously) won't reconnect.

So, I propose a test. Verify that your Rovio is connected and functioning, reboot your wireless, see if Rovio reconnects.

Fraggboy
Fraggboy's picture

Nocturnal,

I did that last night. I verified that Rovio was working and was able to access it. I pushed a wireless reboot, and checked my logs for about 5 minutes. Rovio didn't connect. I had to power-cycle Rovio and it connected after that.

Like I said before, I tried SSID isolating, and broadcasting it to no avail. WEP is standard for all of us. I have tried using 40-bit and 104-bit WEP Key. No difference. Static and Dynamic IP address. I always use MAC-Address filtering. Since it is WEP, I really don't want to disable that. But, I don't know how that would affect the Rovio reconnecting.

dob71
dob71's picture

I'm having the same issue. AFAIK it is often seen with buggy wireless drivers (mostly handhelds or PDAs nowdays). The AP drops the connection to the device, but the wireless adapter driver does not detect it and never tells the software to reestablish the connection.

Since Nocturnal mentioned that rebooting AP worked for him, maybe there are particular APs Rovio is more friendly with than with ours.

eqwalker
eqwalker's picture

Here is the issue that I'm having. I am running the 5.09beta firmware and with WPA and with IE. I was able to connect to Rovio and it runs normally with two way audio no problem. I have noticed once I disconnect from Rovio the LED on top will go green like it should. Then after a while I will notice that it is orange, even though no one is connected to it. Then I may come back later and notice that it is back green again. Of course when I am connected to it, it is red like it should be. Is anyone else experiencing the LED on top going orange for a while and then back green while it is still on the dock and no one connected to it? Today, at work, I connected to it with no problem and then when I disconnected from it I could not re-connect to it. I connected into a pc at home and tried pinging the Rovio and it would not reply. Looks like the Rovio has went offline on me for some reason. Anyone seeing that too?

roschler
roschler's picture

Orange means it can't find your Wireless Access Point. Red means someone is connected. Sometimes it's hard to tell the difference between the two colors.

-- roschler

eqwalker
eqwalker's picture

It is orange. Funny that it cannot find my AP since it is only 4 feet away and has been connected to it without any issues before. Must be something flaky with the wireless firmware.

pacebedo
pacebedo's picture

Can anyone confirm that there are some Rovios out there with a defective wifi adapter? I noticed that after power cycling the unit I am able to connect. However the re-connect problem seems to re-occur after a few times. After systematically determining that the router is not at fault, my only explanation is Rovio's interna; adapter. Thoughts?

eqwalker
eqwalker's picture

I have to conclude that there is something wrong with the firmware on the Rovio. Even as I type this from my relatives home, I was going to connect to Rovio to check on the house but it would not connect. I then remotely connected to one of pc's there in my home and tried to ping the static IP that I had assigned to Rovio. No reply. It apparently has gone offline again. It only seems to do this when it is not used for over 24 hours. I know for a fact that it isn't the router because it has been replaced and other wireless devices that I have are functioning normally. The last time it happened I set up a continuous ping to Rovio and then I power cycled it and in about 15 seconds it started replying. All was well and then after it sat on the dock for a couple of days it went offline again. Now, it looks like it has done the same again. I know when I get back home tomorrow all I will have to do is power cycle it and be back up again. But with it doing this it is useless when I travel and then cannot connect. Is this occurring with others out there?

Jgamble257
Jgamble257's picture

I'm having the same problem as pacebedo. My router is a WRT54GS Linksys and is otherwise working fine. I have three internet cameras on the network and they have no problem performing. When I ping Rovio from either that router or from outside on the Internet I sometimes get 100% packet loss, sometimes only minor packet loss and sometimes no packet loss, but in all cases Rovio fails to connect. If this is happening to a large number of people, WowWee needs to address the situation. Has anyone sent an email to them?

pacebedo
pacebedo's picture

I have come to the conclusion that I received a defective unit. I returned it and got a brand new one. Now the new one works fine and haven't had a problem ever since. If you are facing similar issues, I suggest that you return it and get a new one asap.

To all those who are thinking about purchasing one. I suggest that you purchase it from Hammacher Schlemer as they have a lifetime, no questions asked, guarantee. If you purchase it directly from the store or from someone else, you'll probably get the run around.

pacebedo
pacebedo's picture

3/29/09 UPDATE

It seems that I'm having, yet again, another problem with Rovio. Not only is it having connection issues but when it connects, I cannot get both sound or a picture.

So, as a result, I'm returning it for an exchange ... for a third time.

I don't know if it's a coincidence but it seems that the build quality is inferior. While I don't know how many people had similar issues but it would be interesting to take a poll as to how many of these things were returned, refunded or exchanged.

Jgamble257
Jgamble257's picture

I contacted Wowee who suggested I run the setup process again after disabling the security on my wireless router. I'm going to try that and let you know if it helps.

clarksn
clarksn's picture

I know it's a while since this thread started but just to add that I have just got around to getting a Rovio working that seemed to lose all wifi comms some weeks ago for no apparent reason.

Having factory reset it and configured it over USB I then set it to my preferred static IP and it promptly ceased communicating again. I've retried four times twice configging the static through the web interface and twice through the USB - each time I lose wifi contact when I set it to a static IP (the same static IP that it worked fine on when new until first keeling over). Seems to work fine on dynamic.

Hypothosis- something buggy is making it forget its static IP.

regards,

Steve

Jgamble257
Jgamble257's picture

To add one more recent comment: I am using a static IP address to connect Rovio with my wireless router. DHCP assigns IP addresses 50 to 100, i.e. 192.168.1.50 to 192.168.1.100, so I assigned Rovio 192.169.1.25. My connection is fine, although it connects over the Internet sometimes with no lag (or very little) and sometimes with a lot of lag. I'm not sure that can be chalked up to network congestion as simply reconnecting often almost always improves the lag. I am still experiencing a loss of connection, however. But my experience is very much like eqwalker's post. If I connect to Rovio once a day, I have no problem. If I fail to connect every 24 hours, Rovio goes off line. Most routers have a setting that tells how often to refresh IP addresses assigned by DHCP. Linksys default setting is one day. I wonder if changing that would also keep Rovio connected longer. As Rovio has a static IP, not DHCP assigned,
that may not be the case, but I think the problem might be created when my (or any) wireless router refreshes IP addresses.

b0ne
b0ne's picture

Any news on this issue? I'm having similar problems as of late and just can't put my finger on the cause. Thanks.

pacebedo
pacebedo's picture

Actually, I'm a glutton for punishment and purchased my fourth one on ebay for $100 less than retail. I decided to give it another go. The wireless connection seemed fine at first but drops out every now and again. However, despite this

pacebedo
pacebedo's picture

I've got a battery issue. Despite the 12 hour charging time, I seem to only get 30 mins per charge.

Does anyone actually do quality control over there? Statistically, I should have at least 1 good unit out of four by now.

Jgamble257
Jgamble257's picture

I still have not found a solution to the connection loss after 24 hours (other than the 600 sec pinging work around mentioned earlier in this thread). My new problem is that when I click on one of the turning buttons on the interface, Rovio keeps turning and doesn't stop. I don't know why that problem has developed. There has been no physical trauma and I havne't used it that much. Also the forward crawl now lists to one side, presumably caused by non-synchronized wheel motors. Rovio also no longer finds its base automatically. I didn't have that problem before but I wonder if its inability to travel in a straight line is throwing off the homing algorithm. Anyone else having these problems?

Rudolph
Rudolph's picture

@Jgamble257, check the Rovio Spins Eternally thread, as well as the Wheel Encoder Problem thread regarding your turning issue.

Jgamble257
Jgamble257's picture

Thanks for the referal, Rudolph. It looks like these threads are right on point and have uncovered another common problem.

Mich
Mich's picture

My Rovio had the same problem. Loosing connection and inaccessible neither from inside nor outside.

It has a fixed IP.

What I did recently that sorted out the issue was changing the

Client Lease Time to 43 200 minutes (30 days) . The client lease time renews the IP addresses to all devices and is one of the router settings. It was set to 24 hours ( one day) and Rovio needed recycling the power every 24 hours to stay connected.
I hope this helps fix at least this problem.

Gnattycole
Gnattycole's picture

Hi, just reading the above threads and I seem to have similar issues. My Rovio will stay connected for a day or so and then will require cycling of the on-off switch to re-enable it. I see there could be an issue with the router (Linksys WRT54G) but I can't seem to find the

Gnattycole
Gnattycole's picture

Gnattycole said: Hi, just reading the above threads and I seem to have similar issues. My Rovio will stay connected for a day or so and then will require cycling of the on-off switch to re-enable it. I see there could be an issue with the router (Linksys WRT54G) but I can't seem to find the

Settings in the router config screens. Anyone managed to find this with the Linksys? Any info would be appreciated as I'm a bit of a novice when it comes to wireless networking.

Regards,

Nat.

Tatay
Tatay's picture

I have a similar issue. I also have a fixed IP so I don't think changing lease time will fix anything because DHCP is now out of the picture. DHCP is even turned off in my Dlink. When Rovio goes offline, the light still shows green (connected) but unpingable (deader than a door-nail), so I think this is a firmware issue. Although it has increased in severity when changing to WPA from WEP.
Same as the above comments, power cycling brings it back to life, for a few hours.
Based on the fact that this is happening to both Cisco (Linksys) and Dlink indicates more than a singular AP incompatibility. Other wireless devices in the home are not affected, just Rovio.
Running the latest stable FW.

Gnattycole
Gnattycole's picture

Comforting to know it's not just me with this issue. My Rovio light changes to amber which is how I know it's dropped off the network. Not much use if I'm away from home and want to have a poke around the house. I don't always have time to log in daily so can't confirm if this will keep it active. Wow-Wee. A solution might be handy please??????

Jgamble257
Jgamble257's picture

Tatay said: I have a similar issue. I also have a fixed IP so I don't think changing lease time will fix anything because DHCP is now out of the picture. DHCP is even turned off in my Dlink. When Rovio goes offline, the light still shows green (connected) but unpingable (deader than a door-nail), so I think this is a firmware issue. Although it has increased in severity when changing to WPA from WEP. Same as the above comments, power cycling brings it back to life, for a few hours. Based on the fact that this is happening to both Cisco (Linksys) and Dlink indicates more than a singular AP incompatibility. Other wireless devices in the home are not affected, just Rovio. Running the latest stable FW.

I appreciate the logic of dismissing the lease time change.  I, too, have assigned a static IP to my Rovio, but I also lengthened the lease time and have greatly reduced the going offline problem.  I can't explain it, but perhaps the re-leasing process impacts the Rovio connection whether or not Rovio has a static IP.  Maybe the signal's sent out to other IP devices causes the problem.  I confess that if you have turned off DHCP, your situation may be different.   

Pages