Rovio Enhancement Requests

53 posts / 0 new
Last post
Leebo
Leebo's picture
Rovio Enhancement Requests

I thougth it would be nice to have a single point to collect "new feature" requests. I'd like to distinguish this thread from "bug fixes." What are some enhancements that you would like to see from the developer community?

Here are some of my ideas...

1. Ability to define an "exclusion zone" where the Rovio should not go. My house has a couple of levels, and I'd like the ability to exclude the Rovio from that area. Rovio can only traverse steps going in one direction! Sometimes, when the Rovio is searching for the path, it will wander "over the edge" and then need help.

2. Cruise Control. There are times when I would like the Rovio to keep moving forward (at a specific speed). I could then send "steering commands" to angle left or right or stop cruise control!

3. Add attitude control to the joystick interface. Currently the Rovio maintains attitude/orientation when moving from side-to-side using the joystick control. I'd like the ability to also change the attitude/orientation using the joystick.

4. Timed/Scheduled path. The ability to select a path and "schedule it."

5. Ability to include "photo" with "unique file name." Time-based would be ideal, but if the unit does not track date/time, a rolling counter is fine

6. Ability to include "Go Home" "command" on Timed/Scheduled path.

7. Ability to update "send to" email address after photo is taken. Perhaps simply the ability to add another addressee after the photo has been taken/sent to the primary? We need the ability to separate the photo event from the send mail event.

8. Address book for email addresses would be nice

9. When navigation is available, the Rovio should be able to detect a "blocking obstacle" that doesn't register on the front IR sensor (i.e., low obstacle in front, or oblstacle out of range of IR in back or sides). Perhaps some logic like "wheels moving for more than X seconds while position/orientation hasn't changed."

9. variable angle on camera arm. If the angle must be discrete, then something between the current highest angle and the lowest angle.

10. ability to send angle commands to wheels while moving forward (i.e., turn right, turn left).

11. Access Log showing account, connect times, failed access attempts, etc.

12. Action Log showing the high-level commands issued (i.e., routes, account, date/time started & completed).

cowboycctx
cowboycctx's picture

1. Fix all current bugs.

2. Fix new bugs from fixing above. repeat step 1

3. A path editor.

chrs
chrs's picture

two simple and great enhancements.
1. the ability to turn off/on the blue LEDs at night while the Rovio is charging it can be distracting. or just simply so it doesn't bother people when driving at night thru a dark room for fun XD

2.a slow mode. just for sneaking up on conversations , a slow mode to conserve battery and make it not so loud so it can sneak up.

just 2 simple enhancements to make one complex robot better.

SCHiN101
SCHiN101's picture

It also needs a mute button so that you can turn off the mic, lowering it doesn't really do much.
The video isn't in the proper ratio when I use my laptop or my 2nd monitor which I have sideways. Its either way to long or way to wide.

RDustinC
RDustinC's picture

Possibly a way to have the Blue LED lights time out when on the dock. While pretty, if the Rovio is sitting in your living room it can be annoying.

flowersrj
flowersrj's picture

RDustinC said:
Possibly a way to have the Blue LED lights time out when on the dock. While pretty, if the Rovio is sitting in your living room it can be annoying.

Plus, be able to disable the blue LEDs if desired.

NanoTek
NanoTek's picture

All present and future options should be Mac friendly.

Kreblon
Kreblon's picture

The #1 problem with Rovio still has to be addressed.

That is the low-voltage catch 22 problem with the battery pack.

If it is too low, it won't go into charge mode when docked. It waits
a few moments and then tries to do an auto-dock routine- until it looses all power and dies. You have to charge the battery externally for a while until
Rovio's firmware will then allow it to go into the charge mode when docked.

That is a serious problem for non-hardware types out there.

Really, we need a dedicated application (like the Iphone one) for windows - that really allows real-time video and audio. You simply carry around the app on a flash drive and fire it up on any PC you come across. The one being developed for using Skype with it may serve this purpose.

Bob

RoboJam
RoboJam's picture

1.   I would like the camera arm on a slider so it can be positioned anywhere in it's range of motion.

2.   Blue LED control or at least shut them off after charging

3.   An addon light option (from WOWWEE) to help light the camera in low light

4.   Fix all charging problems

Work on those and I will get back with you.Wink

bozooka
bozooka's picture

Something I would like to see.. Two or more Rovios communicating to each other and an program to control two or more Rovios... I also would like to see more security features and Better path recording..When I record a path it is not a true path.. Rovio tries to find the way you recorded the path and some times gets mixed up!!!..Bozooka

lothman
lothman's picture

how bout night vision camera?

bozooka
bozooka's picture

After many times having to reboot Rovio after a spell of silence it seems like Rovio goes into a sleep mode.. He just can not be woken up unless you press the on off button.. Well if your on the internet that would not be feasible..So I an recommending a mod or something like a wake on LAN type thing.. If you goto Rovios address and click a wake button he will wake from the sleep or what ever it's doing.. Bozooka

flowersrj
flowersrj's picture

Hi,

1) schedule reboot of rovio (ie. every so many minutes, hours or days)

2) better explanation of battery condition & charging

3) an "export settings" function so that on firmware upgrades, settings can be restored.

4) disable blue lights on demand (not a new request)

Thanks,
Rich

bozooka
bozooka's picture

I posted this under another thread but need to post here...IT would be nice though to have a dock on the other side of the house so rovio has a choice if in a fix ( needs a charge) he could pick the closer one..:) Or even just use the docking station as a resting point to lurk ...UUUMMM Need to put this in as a enhancement..

Cll
Cll's picture

increase the size of text box in dynamic DNS... (user)

Hickory
Hickory's picture

My suggestion to Wowwee would be to honest right up front about the capablity of the robot. It will not roam around your house taking photos. It will take you forever to get it set up on the web to be able to drive it. The ad says
"Explore and monitor your territory with WowWee's Rovio, a revolution in robotic surveillance and telepresence. Rovio employs the NorthStar system from Evolution Robotics to allow it to locate itself in your home or office, and also to navigate to waypoints that you determine. Stream audio and video from the Rovio via any web-accesible device, and keep a watchful eye at all times - no matter where you are" Northstar only works in the same room, with not too high ceilings. Any web accessible device? My BB is web accesible and it won't work with Rovio. It takes someone really familiar with networking to get the thing working. To use over the web you have to create and rely on a free web company to convert your home IP to a web address. None of that is told up front. I am sure with good reason because most folks think they plug this in and you have a robot you can program to drive around your house taking photos and emailing them to you. Not true at all. Wowwee is not being honest. And while we're enhancing stuff, let's work on their help desk or support people. From reading the messages that sounds like it really needs some enhancing!

eneuf
eneuf's picture

1. Time/date stamp on e-mail.

2. Timed route w/ photos. Follow a stored path every xx minutes taking a photo every yy minutes. Kind of like a security guard making rounds.

Baoh
Baoh's picture

Besides a streamlined *complete* setup for those not nearly network inclined as others, it would be great to add at least one simple gripping arm. It would be pretty cool to watch, talk to, and pet my dog from home while I am at my office or in the laboratory.

amodedoma
amodedoma's picture

I'd like to see an independent control program or something that doesn't require internet explorer to take advantage of the audio. WowWee makes the most hackable robot toys, having an I2C bus maybe saving configuration data in flash could open expansion right up - ultrasonics, compass, GPS, PIR, etc...
Oh and please please please, stop making bots with IR obstacle detection, ultrasonics arent going to make the product more than 10 bucks more expensive and it's worth the difference. IR obstacle detection sucks!

Ace1
Ace1's picture

suggestions:

1) access to the user/usage log.
2) ability to create a 3rd type of user (view only- such as for tagalongs)
3) a way to detect who is currently connected.
4) a settings to detect when then is movement (either camera, or through the forward IR OBSTACLE SENSOR and email a picture from current position (or video clip).
5) option to save a short, etc. video clip instead of just a pic.
6)whether there is any room left to save perhaps saved sound files to play when motion detected or using commands, etc.

Giobatta
Giobatta's picture

audio support (in remote) for OSX thru Quicktime pliiiis....

Mbordoni
Mbordoni's picture

The ability to see orientation (digital compass) so that you can move even in dark places too.
To have on screen the northstar info so that i could home it manually.
Even brighter setting (like an overexposing)for the camera

Omar
Omar's picture

All these ideas are nice but the most important part has been missed out. We need a function to record this live stream video. What are going to benefit from a live stream surveillance webcam if you can't record it and document date and time.?? Do you have to really sit there and watch every move...????!! just wondering

Rovio666
Rovio666's picture

1, Better night vision/Brightness control
2, More camera positions
3, Better control from the web, video lag
4, Disable blue lights on demand (not a new request)
5, Better UI, should be more like the panasonic BLC IP cameras

eneuf
eneuf's picture

Panoramic photo sequences. Offer an alternate photo function that takes 4 pictures at 90-degree rotations and e-mails all four as a single mail message. Make this available in Paths. This would enable a "walkaround" with periodic (roughly) 360-degree views at each stop.

denodan
denodan's picture

The ablility to record paths that accually work, Rovio does not record or do paths properly.

dave52355
dave52355's picture

1: Better camera positions
2: Camera navigation, such as follow an object use ceiling fixtures as reference points
3: Nightvision/ IR illumination better headlight
4: Turn off the pretty LED's
5: 360 degree Obstacle avoidance like the Bladestar
6: Smoother controls
7: Use PPC/Smartphone joystick to operate
8: Distance to object displayed
9: Timed functions ie: Rovio alarm clock

eqwalker
eqwalker's picture

The ability to schedule the times that Rovio is accessible. In other words, like only having Rovio accessible between the hours of x to x.

cowboyctx
cowboyctx's picture

eqwalker said: The ability to schedule the times that Rovio is accessible. In other words, like only having Rovio accessible between the hours of x to x.

You might be able to do this your router right now.  Read the router manual. My router has schedules for time of day access.

Rovio Commander 2.0 is a free version.  This version has no sound and still has some bugs.   I will be working on the bugs should check back for updates.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/rb6pysogton6ckx/AAC5dblup3YMUYqbE58q2ccta?dl=0

dCon0ne
dCon0ne's picture

cowboyctx said:

eqwalker said: The ability to schedule the times that Rovio is accessible. In other words, like only having Rovio accessible between the hours of x to x.

You might be able to do this your router right now.  Read the router manual. My router has schedules for time of day access.

Ya a Good Router, will have that option,  BUT it will turn OFF ALL internet access, Not just the Rovio.

Although, I do remember having a NetGear Router, several years ago that had "Parental Controls".  Which allowed the Admin(parents) to control access of the Client, (kids computer or Rovio), from accessing the internet.   If you have one of these Routers, you can try to blocks Rovio's access to the internet.

cowboyctx
cowboyctx's picture

dCon0ne said:

cowboyctx said:

Ya a Good Router, will have that option,  BUT it will turn OFF ALL internet access, Not just the Rovio. Although, I do remember having a NetGear Router, several years ago that had "Parental Controls".  Which allowed the Admin(parents) to control access of the Client, (kids computer or Rovio), from accessing the internet.   If you have one of these Routers, you can try to blocks Rovio's access to the internet. .

Yup.  A Good Router.

Rovio Commander 2.0 is a free version.  This version has no sound and still has some bugs.   I will be working on the bugs should check back for updates.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/rb6pysogton6ckx/AAC5dblup3YMUYqbE58q2ccta?dl=0

Pages