Faulty RS Media

19 posts / 0 new
Last post
Happytiger
Happytiger's picture
Faulty RS Media

I have recently bought a Rs Media and have a problem with it, when i start it up it goes through the movement self test (upper body only) and then displays the wowwee splash screen, after that i can use the hand controller to move the head and upper body but when i try to change modes the eyes flash when i press M on the controller but the screen never changes. The same thing happens with or without an SD card in the robot, i have tried brand new batteries and an appropriate power supply as i am unable to change modes i cannot connect the robot to my PC to restore the factory default settings , does anyone have any ideas as there is no warranty and the person i bought it off will not refund my money as he says it was working fine when he posted it to me. Any help would be appreciated thanks.

Nocturnal
Nocturnal's picture

Can you change modes by pressing the... I cant remember if its both the outer buttons, or inner buttons, on both hands at the same. You may need to hold them for a second or two.

Happytiger
Happytiger's picture

Its supposed to be the outer buttons, and that does not work either, the screen does not change i am sure its supposed to to show the mode the robot is in, nothing i do makes the screen change.

Nocturnal
Nocturnal's picture

It sounds like a dodgy connection between the circuit boards, specifically, the ten wire connector that goes between the main board and the media board.

TikaC
TikaC's picture

I am with Nocturnal on this and the guy that sold it to you may not be at fault, actually (though I don't know). But here's why I think he might not be at fault: I purchased my second i-Que from someone in my Yahoo i-Que Robot Group who was selling his. I knew this guy and thus knew he wouldn't rip me off. He was up front with me about the movement problems (which turned out to be severely worn drive belts which I have yet to find replacements for). Also when I got the robot it would not charge on the charging dock. The guy I got it from said it charged up fine when he last used it.

Well, I disassembled the robot to find out the movement problems and naturally had to disconnect a lot of the connectors, pretty much nearly all of them. After I got the gear boxes out and found the problem, I reassembled the robot (I admit I didn't reconnect the motors since they don't have belts right now) and wouldn't you know, the robot now charged up fine!

Like the guy that I bought it from said - a connector may have got jiggled loose or something is in the way of the contact that may have prevented charging from working.

So I would suggest getting into the media board (Nocturnal has a great disassembly tutorial for that on his site in the Serial Port article) and unplug and replug in all the connectors on the board AND to wherever they lead to. Maybe a few other things too.

Also take apart the remote controller, clean it out if needed and do the same thing with the connections.

If that doesn't work, then it might be a bad part inside.

Happytiger
Happytiger's picture

Thanks for the help ill take it apart and have a look and let you know what i find

Currahee
Currahee's picture

good luck

Nocturnal
Nocturnal's picture

:) Interesting story, but not the reason for my diagnosis (there is a lesser chance that it's corrupt firmware). The RS Media has two brains, the main board handles moving the body and reading the sensors, the media board handles sounds, graphics, bodycons etc etc.

Some actions only require one brain, other require both. Some IR signals are handled directly by the main board, other have to be passed to the media board. So if the two boards are functioning, but not communicating, the RS Media boots up, but the UI doesn't function. After a time out, the body brain initiates the startup startup movements (about 20 seconds or so after power on). After that it will respond to some of the IR signals relating to movement, the ones that are handled directly by the main board (which movements are handled solely by the main board depends on the mode). It won't do anything else.

Changing modes requires the main board to receive a mode change request (either through buttons or IR), which it then communicates to the Media board, the media board responds by shifting modes, and ordering the main board to shift modes.

Happytiger
Happytiger's picture

Well, i have both front and rear body panels off but all the connections seem good i have checked the plugs for fit and they seem OK so i put the covers back on but it still reacts (or rather doesn't) the same, i have taken the covers off and will have another check tomorrow (when I'm less tired) incase i missed something first time round

TikaC
TikaC's picture

Don't forget to check the remote control out, in case there's a loose wire or something on the contacts on the remote.

Happytiger
Happytiger's picture

Well, i can't find anything wrong with the connections in the robot or the remote, I'm sure its not the remote as i can't get the robot to change modes by holding the buttons on its arms and when i press the 'M' button on the remote the red light in the centre of the remote flashes as do the robots eyes so there is some communication happening between the remote and the robot.
I'm stuck for anything else to try i think its looking like a major fault unless anyone has any more ideas as to what i can try next.

FreddyA
FreddyA's picture

I dont know what this will do for you or even if its something you should try becasue of the fact nocturnal hasnt suggested it. SO at your own risk
It might not do anything in this case or ruin your RSM! but something to try is better that a stiff robot! Made by Nocturnal to format the rsmedia (Read the README)(http://www.evosapien.com/robosapien-hack/nocturnal/RSMedia/RSMediaFormat...

@nocturnal, yeah or naaaah?

p.s. I dont know squat

Happytiger
Happytiger's picture

Thanks for the suggestion but I'm afraid the link let to a page of garbled text

Nocturnal
Nocturnal's picture

Thats because its a compressed file, not a webpage (right click on the link and select save as).

I doubt it will do anything to solve your problem, but it would be interesting to know if the script actually runs or not. If it doesn't there is something seriously wrong with your RS Media's firmware.

ED-209
ED-209's picture

Its a power supply problem connect a power adapter see if it works. If it does change the batteries use heavy duty batteries.

Nocturnal
Nocturnal's picture

Its not a power supply problem. A power supply problem would be constant rebooting, failing to walk, or constant complaints about low batteries.

Also, if you glance back at Happytigers original post, you might notice that he states he has tried both new batteries and an appropriate power supply.

Jackman
Jackman's picture

Good evening fellow robotists, I have exactly the same problem as Happytiger, can anyone tell me me how or if this was resolved. Please be gentle with me, I'm a Windows ginda guy, not proud of it, but it's how I was brought up. Thanks

FreddyA
FreddyA's picture

make sure that all the head connecctions are right. fixed mine

Jackman
Jackman's picture

No, it's not a wire thing as fall as a fiddle suggests. Yesterday, without thinking I removed the SD card during boot up. This time when it does it's startup jig I had sound & when finished I had vision too. I was also able to get between control & arm mode (still displaying wowwee screen) but could not access media mode (so to enable usb & return to default)which is what it seems to require. So it seems that it's brain is a little scrambled! I've tried running Nocturnals script which cured a very similar problem, but to no avail!
It's amazing how many hours one can spend getting nowhere!