SOS! RS Media need help!

8 posts / 0 new
Last post
Oss
Oss's picture
SOS! RS Media need help!

Hello community! I am new here. I fall in love with Wowwee robots when i saw them on youtube a couple of month ago. Now i've bought my dream bot (RS Media). Unfortunately i bought it from scammer for 200$. There was no battery to test robot, but seller tel me  that bot is  as new. When i  went home and test it i found that it has a lot of mechanical problems. Head, right claw and waist make loud clicks, head moves but it turns to right only and bot dont walk foward, instead moves backwards. So my question is: since RSv2 and RS Media very similar is it possible to buy RSv2 as donor and change all mechanical parts in my RS Media? This is very important for me since in my area RS Media is hard to find, and delivery from ebay will cost me a lot of $.

FreddyA
FreddyA's picture

This is an old dead thread but I wanted to update my helping suggestion just in case Oss was not able to get further help.

Hello Oss if your still out there I think now that your simptoms were from blown transistors on the motor board for the neck thats why you have the neck motor runnign and slipping gears. Did you open the robot and look for damage?

Freddy

Oss
Oss's picture

Thank you very much for help! This unit has other problems as well (it boots only in horizontal position or more than 45 degrees tilt) , so I have bought another one, with problems too, but I've repaired it. Now my working unit is v1 and broken one v2. So the question is: can i exchange media boards to get v2 functions on my working v1 bot?

FreddyA
FreddyA's picture

Hi Oss, yes I've swapped v1 and v2 media boards before so that's cool that would make a working bot RSMv2 for you. Now I'm guessing your original bot that will only boot horizontal has motor board problems. You should check for burned transistors. The reason it will work horizontal is because the tilt sensor stops the start up routine and doesn't get shorted by the bad transistors. That's my shot in the dark. The transistors are not hard to replace and are fairly inexpensive. Then you can get that bot working and flash it and have 2 working RSMv2s!
Freddy

Oss
Oss's picture

Thanks for advice, I'll check motor board once again. Last time I have seen it there was a lot of hot glue on all components, and in some places it was suspiciously yellow, maybe there is burned transistors. Anyway I'll swap the media boards and get usbnet functions on my RSM!

FreddyA
FreddyA's picture

Hi Oss, here is a picture of a pair of burned transistors, the back has a silver plate. when they are burned that may appear ok but if the silver on the back is yellow and you see cracks or melting in the front they are bad. If you power on your RSM and they get hot fast to burn your finger then they are bad. I had to change all 4 neck transistors and two looked like thay were ok except a little yellow on the back silver.

Hope you can get it working!

Freddy

Oss
Oss's picture

You were right - the right one (next to brown wire) is burned. I'll replace it as soon as i get spare. Your advice was really helpful, thanks. Any ideas where to get blue pinion gear (mine has lost tooth) ?

FreddyA
FreddyA's picture

Hi Oss, I recomend changing the transistors in pairs, if you change just one it may burn out just the same. here is a link to the parts http://www.robocommunity.com/forum/thread/17494/RS-Media-Fried-electroni...

As far as the gears, there are no replacements yull need to get a parts bot (I use a RSV2). Community member GWJax was making some molds for some of the rsm gears. Last I heard was he might make them out of Tin or Pewter for stronger gears. here the link to that thread but I havend had any updates there for a while. http://www.robocommunity.com/forum/thread/17823/Broken-Gears/?highlight=...

Freddy