Version 1.0.1 of RS Media Editor available

7 posts / 0 new
Last post
Santa Matt
Santa Matt's picture
Version 1.0.1 of RS Media Editor available

I have posted for download the first non Beta release of my RS Media Macro Editor. There are many improvements and fixes. I'll list some of them:

1. Creating a new Personality will create the directory structure for you.

2. If Then Else, For and While loops and Random numbers are now supported.

3. Double clicking on a line in the macro will parse it back into its parts. Click "Edit Done" to save your changes back to the listing.

4. Personality file is properly formated.

5. Script listings are indented and color coded on the screen for easier reading.

I would like to thank Nocturnal and Rudolph (with his nose so bright?) for their assitance in some of the scripting syntax, especially random numbers.

As always, if you find a bug or have an idea for an enhancement, please let me know.

Santa Matt

FreddyA
FreddyA's picture

Got it, thanks for all the work. As for an Idea, how about usb roboremote? or speech! if it is even possible.

Santa Matt
Santa Matt's picture

FreddyA said:
Got it, thanks for all the work. As for an Idea, how about usb roboremote? or speech! if it is even possible.

First I'll need to get a RoboRemote and I just haven't gotten around to it yet. As for speech, I am already working on a text to speech utility that will make an MP3 of anything you type. But the install is rather complex. But I am using it and my editor to create an entirely synthezied personality. Right now I am working on the macros I want in it. Some of the macros I am working on:

1. A better free roam that uses the IR detectors to avoid obstacles rather than waiting to run into them.

2. A desktop companion for when it is plugged in on your desk. Have the ability of random chatter and random yes no answers.

3. A silent guard mode. When disturbed it just takes a picture. Probably as part of the Desktop companion.

4. A hide and seek game useing the free roam and the camera's ability to recognize humans.

But as for speech recognition or text to speech in the RS Media, I'm waiting to see how TikaC does with his project.

Santa Matt

Shai Alyt NEMO
Shai Alyt NEMO's picture

Downloaded it. Installed.

It looks interesting! Indeed, good start, Santa Matt!

And from the first glance came a first suggestions:

1. Please, dont force every potential user of this software to work at 1280x1024! I, personally, prefer 1024x768 on my CRT monitor (and personally, I think in a wide-wide world can still live users with an old 15" CRTs with 800x600!). At that resolution main window did not fit to screen, and what looks like a bad joke - it's unresizable!

2. Entire interface of a program looks not very useful. Building a script (rightmost panel) from "bricks" (leftmost panel) with some parameters (central panel) without an ability to freely edit a resulting script maybe is a good solution for an absolute beginner programmer but I think it is awkward to anyone more advanced, who will want some manual polishing of the code. I think interface like, say, Notepad with a rich right mouse button menu would be better. I mean, user can make a right click anywhere in code editing window and select from popped-up menu, what he wants to add to the code. Or maybe something like in any modern object-oriented visual programming environment (like Delphi, Visual C++ or Visual Basic).

3. Help/About still says it is a version 1.0.0 Alpha. I think it's good idea to update version to avoid possible misunderstandings.

4. It looks like "unexpected" by you actions of a program user (like double-click in the empty script panel, etc.) make entire program crash to Windows with error messages like "Run-time error 91 blah, blah, blah."I think it's a good idea to avoid or at least intercept possible fatal errors, caused by "unexpected" user actions.

Santa Matt
Santa Matt's picture

Shai Alyt NEMO said:
Downloaded it. Installed.
It looks interesting! Indeed, good start, Santa Matt!
And from the first glance came a first suggestions:
1. Please, dont force every potential user of this software to work at 1280x1024! I, personally, prefer 1024x768 on my CRT monitor (and personally, I think in a wide-wide world can still live users with an old 15" CRTs with 800x600!). At that resolution main window did not fit to screen, and what looks like a bad joke - it's unresizable!
2. Entire interface of a program looks not very useful. Building a script (rightmost panel) from "bricks" (leftmost panel) with some parameters (central panel) without an ability to freely edit a resulting script maybe is a good solution for an absolute beginner programmer but I think it is awkward to anyone more advanced, who will want some manual polishing of the code. I think interface like, say, Notepad with a rich right mouse button menu would be better. I mean, user can make a right click anywhere in code editing window and select from popped-up menu, what he wants to add to the code. Or maybe something like in any modern object-oriented visual programming environment (like Delphi, Visual C++ or Visual Basic).
3. Help/About still says it is a version 1.0.0 Alpha. I think it's good idea to update version to avoid possible misunderstandings.
4. It looks like "unexpected" by you actions of a program user (like double-click in the empty script panel, etc.) make entire program crash to Windows with error messages like "Run-time error 91 blah, blah, blah."I think it's a good idea to avoid or at least intercept possible fatal errors, caused by "unexpected" user actions.

Thanks for the feedback. I  will add a resizer to the next version so the form can be resized. One of the problems of always testing your own software is that you don't think of things like that. My monitor is set to 1680x1050 but I understand your point. Editting is built in. Either the edit button or double clicking on the line to be editted. Clicking edit done will complete the edit. But I do like your idea about an rtf window. I'll give that some thought. The help about I just screwed up on. That should be 1.0.1 no alpha and no beta. Finally the error situation goes back to that testing your own software. It is one of the unexpected things I didn't think of. There are many other issues that I trap and handle but that is one I missed. Great feedback, thanks again.

Santa Matt

TikaC
TikaC's picture

I have to check into this!

What are you going to use for text-to-speech? I been working with flite and recompiled it for the RS Media (at least I hope I did! LOL!) I was so busy with a work project that I haven't had time to get back to the bot stuff. Hopefully soon.

Are you going to use flite? I think flite makes .wavs though. I even forgot! LOL!

Santa Matt
Santa Matt's picture

TikaC said:
I have to check into this!
What are you going to use for text-to-speech? I been working with flite and recompiled it for the RS Media (at least I hope I did! LOL!) I was so busy with a work project that I haven't had time to get back to the bot stuff. Hopefully soon.
Are you going to use flite? I think flite makes .wavs though. I even forgot! LOL!

Actually my text to speech work as been in the PC for making a synthesyzed speech personality. I tinkered a bit with Flite in the RSM but set it aside to work on my script editor as you seem further ahead on speech than I. ALso, there will be a new version of the editor out by this weekend with all of the suggested fixes and changes.

Santa Matt