USBNet Driver Kit and Source Code Available

9 posts / 0 new
Last post
TikaC
TikaC's picture
USBNet Driver Kit and Source Code Available

Thank you again to Helibot. Laughing

We now have an update to the driver. It contains far more than the original I posted this morning. Now we are able to send data between the PC and robot via the USB cable! Helibot created a new mx1ads_usbserial.o module and did some other coding, made some programs and put together a great little setup so you could test it out on your system. As far as I know, you don't need your bot to have the USBNet feature. The source code and everything are GPL and LGPL so we are able to provide this to you for download. See the end of my article for the download link to the RSMedia USBNet USB driver for Windows Vista (in the last paragraph).

http://bytebin.net/robotics/rsmedia/dev/rsmusbnet.html

Note that this may also work in Windows XP and 2000 but haven't been tested yet in those platforms (that I know of. I don't know the version of Windows Helibot uses, but I use Vista Home Premium).

We're still looking into doing a serial console to access the linux system on the robot via USB. But this is a big help. We wanted to share the results and give folks something to work with on their own as well. Feel free to download and let us know if you develop anything with it.

I'm going to be updating the RSMedia Development Kit so I hope to include this in that kit. That's why it's only available via a link in my article at the moment. I'll post in the forum when I get the Dev Kit done. I was tossing back and forth about keeping this separate from the dev kit and now I changed my mind again and deciding to include it, eventually. :)

FreddyA
FreddyA's picture

Tried on XP pro, get the LibUSB-Win32 Devices and RSMedia USB in device manager but nothing when BodyCon 2. This was a long shot in the dark but I wanted to place a java browser in the games folder and connect the USBnet to see if it would pull up web pages he he..

TikaC
TikaC's picture

Did you run the rsmediausb.exe origram in XP, then do Bodycon 2? Because you need that running first. If the rsmediausb.exe gives you an error, run BodyCon 2 again and then run the rsmediausb.exe program (it's in the archive's pc directory).

Also, if you run the USBnet, it will not work as it will use the robot's mx1ads_usbserial.o module and that won't work well, we've found. You have to have a connection to a TCP stack and the improved module from our driver kit. We are still working at getting a TCP stack or something working, though.

We'll be advising folks not to use the USBnet that comes with the robot as we've found that it isn't going to work with the custom RSMedia USBNet/LibUSB-Win32 driver, and you need *some* driver on the PC end for it to work at all. This was all we could find that would even connect to the robot. Even then a adjustment to the module code and recompile was necessary.

Try to get the rsmediausb.exe and BodyCon2 working again. Retrace your steps if necessary and let me know in this thread if you can get it working. I don't have XP so it would be nice to hear from folks that do have it, to see if it works. Also please give any error messages you see.

Also rsmediausb.exe has to be run from the DOS (command) prompt.

Hope this helps! Post here your findings.

FreddyA
FreddyA's picture

[RSMEDIA Says Hello via USB!!!!!] WORKS ON XP PRO. I got it on the DOS window on my pc here so good work! I was looking for it to come up on the Robot's LCD also that would have been cool. I am so worked up! What else can I test for ya?!

TikaC
TikaC's picture

:) Well, I'm glad it works. Helibot is on holiday for a bit but will return to the forums in a few days. Right now I think he's working more on two-way communications.

As for writing to the screen, we'll hopefully have that in the dev kit. Right now we want to get basic two-way communications going between computer and robot. Then you'll be able to write ANYTHING to the screen on the robot. :)

Right now, there's nothing yet to test, but I'm still working on the next version of the dev kit which I'm making some changes to here and there. Then I'll be glad to have folks check it out.

I'll post in the forums when it's released.

And thank you for testing this on XP. Now we know it's working on that too. I have to test it on my Win2000 machine yet too.

Santa Matt
Santa Matt's picture

I can't get it to work on my XP Pro machine. Everytime I start the rsmediausb.exe it tells me it can't find libusb0.dll. I've tried installing it seveeral times. I downloaded it again and tried it. I tried it with the default directory structure and putting rsmediausb.exe in the same directory as the libusb0.dll (that give me a device not found error. I tried it both from the explorer and from a dos/command window. Any other suggestions?

Santa Matt

FreddyA
FreddyA's picture

I had a hard time for a bit till I got the hang of it. Try removing the driver, plug in the rs media it asks for driver - then point to the xp driver from the kit. Then run bodycon 1, check that the rs media USB driver pops up in device manager, then run rsmediausb.exe in dos from the directory its in. If all fails, try removing the driver then rebooting both pc and robot then check that the driver gets installed correctly in device manager, run bodycon 1 and the rsmediausb.exe from it directory but within dos. I hope it goes well!

Santa Matt
Santa Matt's picture

Well I finally got it. My computer was convinced that the RS Media was a mass storage device. And no matter how many times I removed and rebooted it, seems it would never give up. But eventually it did, I installed the driver and ran the macro and the app and they talk! What's the chances of getting the usbserapp rewritten so it has a parameter and transmits what ever you give it as a parameter? Then it could be used as a script debug tool even at this stage of development.

Santa Matt

TikaC
TikaC's picture

Santa Matt - Helibot is currently working on something even better - a USBNet serial console! Last I heard he has a little debugging to do but he's getting closer to having something working.

For those of you with XP (I tested it on Vista Home Premium), can you tell me in steps (ie. 1, 2, 3) how you got it to work? And please let me know what in my docs would need changing so that it would work on XP (IOW, I'm looking for what is different from the docs). I'd like to note this so I can update this next time.

Anyone have Win2000 that they tried it on? I'm a bit lazy and haven't dug out my other laptop to try it. LOL!