45 posts / 0 new
Last post
markcra
markcra's picture

This makes me wish I had a RS Media.

Helibot
Helibot's picture

Hi all,
Another update for you, lots of further progress has been made. But I still havent got it working with the rest of the robot reliably.
FreddyA has been helping me test a beta version - Thanks to Freddy for his testing and suggestions for some new features.
New features have been added -
-Two alarms can now be configured in the ini file.
-A background image can be set in the bodycon file.
-The clock position can be configured (top middle or bottom of screen).
-The clock can be configured to be 12 hr or 24 hr mode.
-A colon b/n minutes and hours is now drawn.
(I would upload a picture , but I've left my dig camera at a friends house :-( )

So now the bad news - I cant figure a way to beat the lowpower mode problem completely. I have an 3/4 solution and I think I will release the first version with this. (Solution is to holdoff the lowpower when the clock first starts - this is done by sending command '/usr/bin/robot/pipe /tmp/robot_pipe -2 3 0 0 0' ). But after an alarm or body con or other robot activity lowpower can be entered. Then if a clock alarm is triggerd then the program will turn the screen back on and process the alarm. (This lets music and image/video alarms to work, but any robot movement wont be seen). Pressing any key on the remote should bring hthe bot out of lowpower mode.

So I hope to release this version soon.

Cheers
Helibot

FreddyA
FreddyA's picture

Hello Everyone! Here is a picture of the working alarm clock that Helibot has programmed. Here you can see the background image, the clock position is at the bottom and can be configured (top middle or bottom of screen) and it is shown in 12 hr mode. I am luck/happy to have been able to test it. When you set the alarm and then it runs a custom bodycon for the first time you get a really awesome feeling that there's more amazing things to come for RS Media. Hats off to Helibot for all the work on this first version!

xanxion
xanxion's picture

This looks very promising. Great work Helibot & Freddy A.
When can we expect to get an Beta release? i cant wait to try this out.

This might very well be a whole new beginning for the RS media. Im Glad that we finally is getting more familiar with ´the rsm. i have some ideas too, that i will work on the next couple of weeks.

By The way, if you need any help. With design, Ideas, Testing. Then feel free to contact me.

Cheers

Helibot
Helibot's picture

Hey all,

I have released the clock app. See this thread for details and the link to downlod it.

http://www.robocommunity.com/forum/thread/16040/RSM-Alarm-Clock-Application-released

Cheers
   Helibot

xanxion
xanxion's picture

Fantastic! gonna check it out right away.

FreddyA
FreddyA's picture

Helibot, after keeping my RSM on for about 2 weeks with the clock set and alarms I've noticed that the clock gets behind about 5 minutes every 24 hours or so. I readjust the time every night to keep the alarm going at the correct time. No big deal since I'm just happy as can be that it actually runs my bodycons. (I made a really cool b-day dance and songs featuring jimmy hendrix and disney songs for my GF, she loved it). Also, somehow every so often the RSM will start my rooster alarm bodycon randomly- it just cracks me up!

LED
LED's picture

One little question. I tried to prevent going to sleep several times.

Now I see /usr/bin/robot/pipe /tmp/robot_pipe -2 3 0 0 0
What does tis exactly do ?
Can I send this in my bodycon every minute to pervent going to sleep ?

Helibot
Helibot's picture

Hey LED,
   Once you send this command it will prevent the robot from going to sleep (ie to low power mode after 2 minutes). I believe you only need to send it once. I think it effectively tells the robot board that the media board is 'busy doing a task' therefore it prevents the change to sleep mode. Sounds good doesn't it!! But unfortunately it doesnt solve all issues :-(
  The main problem is that if you peform other robots actions (user bodycons,actions from remotes, sound/vision actions etc) then when these actions finish they will usually tell the robot board that the media board is 'finished doing tasks' - therefore it MAY allow the change to sleep mode again.
  To see an example of the 'start' and 'finish' commands for different actions see this post - click here .  You can see that my 'robot_pipe -2 3 0 0 0' command is borrowed from the 'start' part of the image view script (actually called display_image.sh).
Hope this helps!!
Cheers
   Helibot

Helibot
Helibot's picture

FreddyA said: Helibot, after keeping my RSM on for about 2 weeks with the clock set and alarms I've noticed that the clock gets behind about 5 minutes every 24 hours or so. I readjust the time every night to keep the alarm going at the correct time. No big deal since I'm just happy as can be that it actually runs my bodycons. (I made a really cool b-day dance and songs featuring jimmy hendrix and disney songs for my GF, she loved it). Also, somehow every so often the RSM will start my rooster alarm bodycon randomly- it just cracks me up!

Hey Freddy,
   Bummer about the 5 minutes per day - its not unusual for microprocessor clocks to be a bit off, so I am not surprised. You will probably find that some RSMedias are better/worse than others. (I think mine loses only 1-2 minutes a day). I should add an 'offset' in the inifile so that the robot can readjust itself once a day!

I have been trying for months now to be able to use the linux libraries already in RSMedia - so I can draw menus and load Jpeg/png files and draw them to the screen......I am just about there now!  So I may do another version of the RSMedia clock with better graphics (maybe it can overlay the clock over the real robot screens, so it just sits in the top corner all the time?? Dont know yet -  it maybe possible ;-) )

Cheers
   Helibot

FreddyA
FreddyA's picture

Hello Helibot, I am always curious about what you are up to and carefully study your posts to see what you are cooking. Let me know if my robots and I can be of any service. I agree completely, a clock ontop the screen always would be useful. And about the offset, if it can autoadjust that's pretty cool too. As a thought, would be very impressive to autoset time/date by the usb console on boot somehow.

FREEEK
FREEEK's picture

Super application!
Good job!

LED
LED's picture

Thank you !

The clock and the USB-Console are great. My robot stands unused in the corner for one year. Now it seems that I can use him again.

FreddyA
FreddyA's picture

I thought I'd post the actions that the RSM Alarm Clock can perform. Some of these are already noted in v1 and v2 but a few are not.

#ACTION COMMANDS
[actioncmds]

#Video Record for specified time
#Edit VIDEO:#### video recording time, 10000 = 10 seconds
#Edit -t0 to -t1 for autotracking
#EXAMPLE action = VIDEO:2000
VIDEO = /usr/bin/robot/takemovie -s1 -t0 -e

#The audioplayer will play a file
#Shows details on the LCD, volume can be changed by the remote RHS up/dwn keys.
#Press 'a' to exit the sound player app and return to the clock app.
#SOUND = /usr/bin/robot/audioplayer -f
#EXAMPLE action = SOUND:"/mnt/sd/Music/your_mp3_or.wav"
SOUND = /usr/bin/robot/audioplayer -q0 -n0 -c0 -e0 -f

#The audioplayer will play the file in the background. The clock application will continue.
#Should be used to play long sounds (like songs)
#EXAMPLE action = SND2_:"/mnt/sd/Music/Songs/your_mp3_or.wav"
SND2_ =./playsound.sh

#Play a user bodycon.
#EXAMPLE action = USRBC:/mnt/sd/string to user bodycon.sh
USRBC =./runbodycon.sh

#Play a default bodycon. value should be the bodycon number (in Hexidecimal)
DEFBC = /usr/bin/robot/scripts/DefaultBcon.sh

#A image will be displayed on the LCD screen. Any key will dismiss it.
#EDIT -i#### Image display time, -i5000 = 5 seconds.
#EXAMPLE action = IMAGE:/mnt/sd/Photo/your.jpg
IMAGE = /usr/bin/robot/imageviewer -c -i10000 -f

#A image will be displayed on the LCD screen forever or until a new picture is displayed. Any key will dismiss it.
#EXAMPLE action = IMG2_: /mnt/sd/Photo/your.png
IMG2_ = ./showimage.sh

#RS Media will take a photo and save it to the standard location.
#EXAMPLE action = PHOTO:
PHOTO = /usr/bin/robot/capture_pic 0 1 1

#Text to speech
#EXAMPLE action = SPEEK:./flite_rsm_1.3 -t "Your text to speech"
SPEEK = /mnt/sd/Application/flite_rsm_1.3 -f

#Time to speech
#EXAMPLE action = SPKTM:
SPKTM = /mnt/sd/Application/flite_time_rsm `date +%0H:%0M`

#Play Video
#EXAMPLE action = MOVIE:/mnt/sd/Videos/yourvideo.avi
MOVIE = /usr/bin/robot/videoplayer -f

#Random Sound Action
#Place sound files in corresponding folder
#EXAMPLE action_rnd = SOUND:"/mnt/sd/Application/Random"

#Random Bodycon Action
#Place script files in corresponding folder
#EXAMPLE action_rnd = NOCMD:/mnt/sd/Application/Random

#The value will just be echoed to the console - useful for debug
ECHO_ = echo

#Just print the time and date to the console -useful for debug
TIME_ = date

#This is an empty command. It can be used to run a script (including Personality Bodycons)
NOCMD =

If anyone has any additional actioncmds to add post them here. Also if you have made a custom alarm please share it to the downloads area so we can all enjoy!

Pages