Customized RS Media Project. (Still W.I.P)

40 posts / 0 new
Last post
xanxion
xanxion's picture
Customized RS Media Project. (Still W.I.P)

Hey Guys, i just wanted to show you my Customized RS Media. Until now i have only Painted it, Changed leds in eyes, and added a led on top of he head.

Any ideas how i could further costumize it? :D

RS Media Customized Black Rs Media - Final layer of protection added.Black RS MEDIA

Heres the first extension of the leg. Need one more on that leg. Hopefully it will fit :- D

Chris 22
Chris 22's picture

The robot looks great. Good work!
I think thats enough. ;o)

xanxion
xanxion's picture

Thanks ;-)
Well i was thinking about painting the orange spots -> Chrome. Or something. But im not sure yet.

Chris 22
Chris 22's picture

Nice idea! Please show the picture, if you finished. But don`t hurry! ;o)

xanxion
xanxion's picture

well i added some chrome, on the arms and shoulders. This is the final look. I just need a last layer of protection, then the paintjob is finished. Im kinda happy with the results. Took some time though :- )

xanxion
xanxion's picture

Anyway the fun part is coming now. Im working on extending the legs abit.
(15 cm) Making him abit taller. making him 70 cm tall. Im gonna post some photos when im done. Maybe tomorrow.
its gonna be fun to see if he can balance, when walking :0)

Cheers.

MrScott
MrScott's picture

xanxion said:
Anyway the fun part is coming now. Im working on extending the legs abit.
(15 cm) Making him abit taller. making him 70 cm tall. Im gonna post some photos when im done. Maybe tomorrow.
its gonna be fun to see if he can balance, when walking :0)
Cheers.

If I were a betting man, I'd be betting on a complete lack of ability to walk.

These bots are designed to waddle while they walk. The center of gravity being in just the right spot is required for it to work.  There are videos of bots with light feet due to light batteries having a pronounced staggering problem.  Raising the entire torso 15cm  will have a much more dramatic effect on the center of mass as it leans to the side.

I know that the RSV2 relies on the ratio of the length of the legs to the length of the body and head to stand up when its lieing on its back. Assuming that the RSMedia can do the self righting trick, too, you will likely need to extend the body/head to maintain the ratio with the extended legs.

xanxion
xanxion's picture

Hey Scott. Thanks for the reply. I also thought about extending the torso/ neck. But i might start out with 8-10 cm on the legs, and see what happens. I could allways add some weight on some spots, if i need to. About the waddle movement, i think i might have an solution. (not by adding servos or anything. But i have a cool idea that might work. Im gonna try it out anyway. Maybe it works. Maybe not. But i have to try! :-) im too curious. And if i dont try, then ill never know ;)

xanxion
xanxion's picture

Also i ordered a recharable battery, a lightweigted one. That im gonna deploy on the back, and rewire the legs. Not sure what will happen. But ill let ya know!

xanxion
xanxion's picture

Here is the first leg! :- )

I made the iron bars 10 cm. So it really is giving some height, when im done with the other leg, im gonna rewire the cables. And try to walk it. Wish me luck :D

xanxion
xanxion's picture

Im wireing the cables now, on the legs- But there are some cables that have the same colors. Does it really matter which i wire together, as long as they have the same color? theres no indications on the cables, where they should go.. i dont wanna crack it open to look on the board. Any help? :/

xanxion
xanxion's picture

Well, heres an update. The legs are perfectly mountet. And should actually work. BUT. I have a problem. I forgot to mark all the cables in the legs, when i cut them over. So im kinda stuck. I have NO idea wich cables goes to wich.. There are so many reds. And some blacks.. Anyone got an suggestion?

Theres no markers on the cables. (why the hell didnt they use different colors for all cables :S?)

Someone please help! im stuck. and very curious about the mod.

Thanks.

MrScott
MrScott's picture

Ummm.... before casting stones against the manufacturer, why the heck didn't you mark them before disconnecting the similar looking cables? Especially if you weren't going to fully expose the cable to see what it was connected to at the other end.

The manufacturer has an excuse. Extra colors means extra materials means extra expense. They had no need to differentiate at their assembly line. Both ends of the cable are visible to them. That, and the robot is not considered user serviceable by the company, so there's no incentive to make it idiot proof like connectors on the back of a PC.

I suggest you take off the covers and find the other end of the cables. The boards are typically well marked. For each cable, looking at the board end should tell you what it should connect to at the leg end.

xanxion
xanxion's picture

Hmm yeah, i guess you're right. Im just abit frustrated. Anyway, i'll try to open it all up tomorrow. Hopefully i'll find a way to connect them right.
Thanks for the idea. Seems like the only solution.
I know i should have marked them. But i cant do anything about it now. I have to remember that from now on.

Cheers.

Nocturnal
Nocturnal's picture

xanxion said: why the hell didnt they use different colors for all cables :S?

Because there are oh so many cables, and giving each wire a different colour (or even just a single colour for specific signals (although there is a little of that)) is impractical. For example, I have here a spool of 40 wire, coloured ribbon cable, there are only 10 colours of wiring in it. incidentally, the colour orderning of the cable matches with the colour ordering on wow wee products.

The way Wow Wee differentiates cables, is by unique socket / plugs, which are usually different sizes, or different colours giving (except for one or two exceptions) a unique combination. 

xanxion
xanxion's picture

Hey Nocturnal. Thanks for the info. I figgured it out. But while i found all the right cables, and connected them. I unfurtunatly "destroyed" the white flat cable to the screen in the front. Any ideas where i can buy a new one?
Preferable in Europe

Nocturnal
Nocturnal's picture

Not that I am aware of. How did you "destroy" it? its not soldered on to anything, its got sockets (with small clips) on both ends.

xanxion
xanxion's picture

Hey Nocturnal. I was kinda stupid, didnt see there were thoose tigheting clips on, so i tried to push it into the socket, and of course i broke some of the mini iron wires inside. But i cut it, and used a scalpel, to free some iron again. So it works again. Was abit tricky though. Anyway. Everything seems to work now. And i've learned some good stuff by my mistakes :-)

Im gonna take a video in 5 minutes. To see if he can walk with the new extensions on the leg!

xanxion
xanxion's picture

it seems like it works. But he's keep saying Obstacle detected. And tries to move around. Where is opbstacles detected? on the head?

MrScott
MrScott's picture

Perhaps you've shorted one of the toe sensors.

xanxion
xanxion's picture

Thanks Scott!- Only problem now is, that my batteries are allmost dead. Not much power on him. Is there some sort of bypass to make him walk with the ac adapter connected? i have a long caple on my adapter.
Heres a shot:

MrScott
MrScott's picture

xanxion said:
Is there some sort of bypass to make him walk with the ac adapter connected?

Not that I've heard of.

The WowWee developer reasoning being that if it's tethered to a wall-wart, the robot should not be walking.

xanxion
xanxion's picture

Makes sense in most cases. But would make it easier to test some things. Anyway. I'll go buy some new batteries soon. Or try that recharable on the back.

Nocturnal
Nocturnal's picture

xanxion said:
Is there some sort of bypass to make him walk with the ac adapter connected?

Yes and No. The is no way to get him to walk with the A/C adapter supplied, if you use a 9V adapter (rated for at least 3amps), he should walk.

xanxion
xanxion's picture

Hey Nocturnal, i actually have a universal adapter with multiple volts. 3.1 amps. both 7.5v, 9v. etc. But hes not able to walk though. perhaps i should try more than 9v?

Santa Matt
Santa Matt's picture

I thought you were supposed to lower the voltage to 6 volts to fool the RS Media.

xanxion
xanxion's picture

hmm but 3x big batteries x2 medium in each foot. must be more than 6 v? :D

Santa Matt
Santa Matt's picture

There are 3 x 1.5 volts in each foot for a total of 9 volts. That moves the motors. I have heard it is regulated down to 7.5 but I don't know. There are also 2 x 1.5 AA in each foot for 6 volts to the brains. This is how the brain knows whether to disable the legs or not. I have not personally tested this idea but it sounds right.

xanxion
xanxion's picture

hmm.. kinda makes sense!
So i should try 6v's? and if its not working, perhaps 12v?
But somehow i think theres more to it, than just volts. Might be a wire or something, that tells if ac is connected?

Santa Matt
Santa Matt's picture

I would not go to 12 volts as that is higher than either battery combination and some components might not like the higher voltage. It would be easy to sense 6v vs 7.5 via a resister pair or a diode resister combination connected to a digital input.

Nocturnal
Nocturnal's picture

Damn! browser crashed an lost my post :( So now you get the short version. Yes you are right 6v not 9v to fool the RS Media, and I wonder how hard it would be to disable detection. He will operate at 12V, but with a serious chance of failure.

I should probably draw a schematic of this board, but I have a suspicion that as long as the orange wire is carring ~6V to the RS Media, it will think its running on batteries.

Pages