New version 1.3.0 of RS Media Editor available

17 posts / 0 new
Last post
Santa Matt
Santa Matt's picture
New version 1.3.0 of RS Media Editor available

I just posted version 1.3.0 of my RS Media Editor. Better Cut, Copy and Paste functionality. Better formatting of the Bodycon you are working on. Minor bug fixes and many other little things. I have been working a a personality and so was able to give the editor a pretty good work out. Try it and let me know how you like it and what changes or features you would like to see.

idrum289
idrum289's picture

At the risk appearing like a total twit, where do we download it from?

Santa Matt
Santa Matt's picture

It is in the RS Media download section. As I bring out new versions I just update the link. http://www.robocommunity.com/download/list?sort=date&cat=12

Lady Royce
Lady Royce's picture

Good day to you Father Christmas,

How much better is your RS Media Macro Editor 1.3.0 vrs. the RS Media 2.1 program that comes with the robot or the 2.4 that Wow Wee has online and is it easer to use?

I am having all kinds of problems with the video portion of the RS Media program not wanting to work on this old Dell Optiplex GX110 I am using. Everything on this computer is built onto the motherboard and it is causing me no end of problems.

Lady Donna

Santa Matt
Santa Matt's picture

I believe it is better. That's why I wrote it. It does have some additional scripting commands. It is a little more difficult to use as it is not drag and drop with the neat little flow charting. But it will run in a lot less computer even on Win98SE systems. Plus it is a continuing project. I doubt we will ever see another version from WowWee but I will continue to add to mine and correct any bugs that are reported to me.

Lady Royce
Lady Royce's picture

Well Father Christmas. I downloaded a copy of your program and saved it and will open it when I get a chance. Does or will yours ever be a drag and drop type with a video component to it?

lady Donna

idrum289
idrum289's picture

God bless you Santa Matt. I'm with Lady Royce, I will use it when I get, no, sorry, make the time. :)

Santa Matt
Santa Matt's picture

I doubt I will ever make it drag and drop with a flow charting feature. I hate re-inventing the wheel. But I would like to eventually have a virtual robot so you could see the movements. But for now I am mostly interested in making it ironclad so no errors if the user does something unusual. I have trapped everything I could think of and I use it regularly myself but that is never the same as letting other people use it. So if you find an error or think of a neat feature to add, please let me know.

Lady Royce
Lady Royce's picture

Hello Father Christmas,

I WILL be taking my RS Media and my Roboquad with me (Perhaps my Roboraptor as well.) when I go camping and working for two months out at The MN Renaissance Festival (I am heading out next Saturday.) and I have an older Dell laptop that the Media program runs on (Virtual robot and all.) that I will be taking along as well so I can fuss with the programing of the robot.

I have saved your program and every personality I could get to an external hard drive and that goes with me as well (It also has all my music and movies on it too.) so I can open your program and fuss with everything while I am there.

It would be GREAT if your program had a virtual robot on it so I did not have to fuss with attaching the robot to the computer to see if everything was working like I want it to. That way I could take the laptop up to the main festival grounds when I work on the weekends and I could fuss with it on my breaks and still see what the robot would do without having the robot there.

As to "re-inventing the wheel." The drag and drop way of doing things is good for those like me that are not very good at writing a program. I can spin a fantasy story with the best of them and repair a computer (If I have the proper parts.) and repair toys (I have been doing this for 44 years.) all day long.
But ask me to write a program and I set here and go "DUAH! What way did he go George, what way did he go?" I am totaly LOST! So drag and drop is good for me.

Anyway. I will open your program and fuss with it once I get to the campgrounds and get everything set up and I will tell you what I think of it once I get home in October.
We no longer have the Wi/Fi connection out there or I would be telling you what I think of it from the field. But a couple of people kept overloading the system last year, so they shut the Wi/Fi down this year and all of us that can not afford a wireless connection must suffer for those two fools!

Until October, you Be Well and I will catch you then.
Lady Donna

Rudolph
Rudolph's picture

Taking the lappy to play with the robot during breaktime?! No! That's RUM time! (as opposed to just regular "Rum" time, which is the not-break-hours) ;) And I thought I had a "missing my robots at faire" problem :)

Lady Royce
Lady Royce's picture

Rudolph said: Taking the lappy to play with the robot during breaktime?! No! That's RUM time! (as opposed to just regular "Rum" time, which is the not-break-hours) ;) And I thought I had a "missing my robots at faire" problem :)

Well Luv. I am going to be there from 8-8 till 10-10 and I am going to have some time on my hands during the week and I might as well do something with the RS Media and I do need to learn his program and how to make my own programs for him. So he and Quad are going with me.

I also take my toy repair and paint kits out with me (I worked for a puppet shop there and the shop is no longer there and sometimes, I have patrons that remember me and ask me to repair their puppets for them.)  as well and several books. My lapper also has my music and some movies I like on it as well as the RS Media program.

As for RUM time. I am not a big drinker except for the night of our cast party, so I need something to do on my half hour breaks other then make a privey run. So I will have the lapper and work on the RS Media program.

Lady Donna

dogbed79
dogbed79's picture

Are there any instructions on how to use the editor?

Santa Matt
Santa Matt's picture

dogbed79 said:
Are there any instructions on how to use the editor?

Not really. Just go in and make a macro or two. Place them in a personality. Make sure they are either the same name as the bodycon you are replacing or that the bodycon calls your macro. Also as in anything computer related, make a back up of the personality you are modifying. Then if you get totally screwed up you can just set it back to the original and try again.

Linux Richard
Linux Richard's picture

Hi Santa Matt,

I like your RS Media Editor. One question - is it possible to get it for Linux?

Richard

Linux Richard
Linux Richard's picture

Hi Santa Matt,

I really like your RS Media Editor programme but would like it even more if there was a Linux version available. I spend most of my time in an Ubuntu derivative (Linux Mint). Any chance?

Richard

Santa Matt
Santa Matt's picture

Unfortunately I don't think so. It was written in Visual Basic 6 and I don't know if there is a port for that to Linux. Perhaps someone more knowledgeable in Linux knows of a way. If so I would be happy to port it. I may also try changing it to a .net application as I believe there is a Linux port for .net apps.

Linux Richard
Linux Richard's picture

Hi,

There is software for porting VB to Linux and Mac without having to rewrite it to .Net. Here are some hopefully useful links:
MacTech article
Programmers Heaven article
RealBasic software
If you decide to go the .Net route, there is the Mono project for porting to Linux.
Article at the Register

Richard