Hover Pod Rip Down

8 posts / 0 new
Last post
GWJax
GWJax's picture
Hover Pod Rip Down

For those who would like to see the innards of the HoverPod for your next mod or mine which will come soon, Please refer to the gallery for a simple photo how to. Use this thread to guide your self in your next mod for this tiny yet fun IR contolled craft.

I have been having some problems uploading photos for some reason so if the gallery is not up yet just subscribe to this thread and I'll let you know when I have it done. Also my mods will be on this thread as well and I hope your's will be too.

Jax

Upate: Gallery of the Ripdown Complete.

Peter Redmer
Peter Redmer's picture

Jax, to upload photos to a thread, post the thread then go back in and edit it; you will then be able to upload photos to the body of the thread.

This bug was pointed out in the forums and we are aware of it; hopefully it will be fixed soon!

GWJax
GWJax's picture

LOL, Thanks Commander!! I did not see that thread. I hope you enjoyed seeing inside of the HoverPod in the gallery..

Jax

Peter Redmer
Peter Redmer's picture

It's cool to see what's all there... really, there isn't much there at all, which is pretty impressive to me. They have to keep it light and do a lot with so little.

I'm trying to think of what kinds of hacks/mods I would do. I'm wondering if turning could be made easier by shortening the surface of the tail rudder, and how one could increase the airflow... hmmm....

GWJax
GWJax's picture

Peter Redmer said:
It's cool to see what's all there... really, there isn't much there at all, which is pretty impressive to me. They have to keep it light and do a lot with so little.
I'm trying to think of what kinds of hacks/mods I would do. I'm wondering if turning could be made easier by shortening the surface of the tail rudder, and how one could increase the airflow... hmmm....

Well on the turning I would add another rudder to give the flow of air a more ballanced and even air flow giving you more control. Increasing the air flow for more lift, the propeller needs to be at least a four blade prop. Also adding a slit skirt to the bottom would also give it the ability to transend from tile to carpet or rug, the height it needs so it does not get stuck since it runs so low to the ground as is. These are just a few things I have planed for my hack and also adding a running LED base to light up the floor.

Jax

Rudolph
Rudolph's picture

I haven't seen one up close, so I'm just going off the little bit I can see of the propeller in Jax's photos.

I'm wondering if the prop in the Lightstar may be a little bit more aggressive. Really hard to tell, partly due to the fact that my Lightstar is buried right now and I can't grab it to have a look... Haha.

GWJax
GWJax's picture

Rudolph said:
I haven't seen one up close, so I'm just going off the little bit I can see of the propeller in Jax's photos.
I'm wondering if the prop in the Lightstar may be a little bit more aggressive. Really hard to tell, partly due to the fact that my Lightstar is buried right now and I can't grab it to have a look... Haha.

The propellers are the same even on the BladeStar and LightStar, Remember WowWee tends to use the same parts in all their robots and flying machines. But the motor in the DrangonFlys are a bit larger and stonger so these may be a bit more suitable for greater fan air intake but in the same breath it will also tax the battery more as well even though they are the same as well. I do have a spair motor and battery that I can test and also build another propeller buy use of designing another propeller and producing a master mold for it.  I just got a bunch of monamer for making teeth using acrylic tooth shade and gum power, so I can make a very strong propeller with it inside a mold or use my light weight acrylic enamel that can be poured into the mold as well. 

Maybe just adding another motor for the lift only and use the top motor for thrust just like in the real Hover Pods may be an option so a heaver load can be used but this will need a new lower body shell as well which may be very interesting and also use the BladeStar remote and electronics in conjunction with the HoverPod Remote and electronics to really control the lifting and air intake for the thrust.

I love seeing other post and ideas to get my mind working in solving for an ultmate HoverPod hack.. Thanks everyone.

Jax

Rudolph
Rudolph's picture

Good point on the reuse of parts. No point in making several different ones.

A twin motor hoverpod would be friggin slick ;) With two motors each one will be able to work less, and therefore be able to carry more load in the form of a second battery. Since the batts are pretty dainty anyway.