New RS Media from eBay - speaker defect?

25 posts / 0 new
Last post
fsr1d3r
fsr1d3r's picture
New RS Media from eBay - speaker defect?

Hello All,

I am completely new to RS Media and
this forum. I just received delivery of a "new" RS Media for my son
from an eBay business seller in UK - he is going to love it. I have
tried out the remote and everything seemed to be working fine - but I
just noticed when he goes into his dance routine, that there is no
music coming out of the left hand speaker. Is the default music in RS
Media mono, or should music be coming out of both speakers?

If
the speaker is not working - can I fix it myself? Is there a tutorial
anywhere showing how to take RS Media apart and/or what wires are where?

Another thing I noticed - there is a constant pulsing sound coming from the subwoofer on his back - is that normal?

Thanks for any help!

Musa
Musa's picture

Hi There. The music should come out of both speakers. Also there should be no phasing sound. I have owned 5 RS MEDIA which i have bought an sold on ebay. If your item is new you should get an exchange.

FreddyA
FreddyA's picture

Hello and welcome fsr1d3r, the demo sound is in stereo so you may have a loose connection. RS media does not have a left and right volume level so that is a dead end. I had my left hand speaker stop working after putting him back together a few weeks ago and I traced the wire from his arm tube to the board connection and that was ok, it turned out to be (in my case the white wire) a broken wire at the solder point from the media board to the connector on the main board. I have read of this pulsing sound to simulate heart beating, but I do not have that in either of mine. Welcome again and make sure to check out the RS Media download area there are personalities and try out Helibot's RSM Alarm clock. Have fun enjoying this with your son!

Freddy

fsr1d3r
fsr1d3r's picture

Thanks for the warm welcome and tips. I already grabbed the personalities I wanted and read about the alarm clock - we will definitely try that.

If possible, I would like to fix this myself, as postage was expensive (UK to Germany), it is a small flaw and I currently don't see any RS Media being sold on eBay in UK or Germany.

Is there a decent tutorial around showing how to take RS Media apart?

Another thing I am not sure about: when should RS Media react to sound, and how? I read something about this, but mine only sporadically reacts to a clap or shout with a comment, but never turns his head or anything like that.

Thanks again
fsr1d3r

FreddyA
FreddyA's picture

Hello fsr1d3r, as far as a tutorial not that i know of, there was a site made by the member Nocturnal but it's not online. So I took a few pictures hope it helps.

First thing is to take the screws out from the back. remember where the screws go as there are 4 long and 4 shorter ones. then take apart the front shell carefully and disconnect the flat white multi-cable and the two wire connector.  

then take out the 4 screws holding the back shell on and 2 holding the arm tube. and the 2 holding the media board to the back shell.

Disconnect the woofer speaker wires from the board and the power button is also screwed on the back shell, take this off for more work room.  Now you should be able  to trace the arm tube wires and seat then properly. also check the solder points on the media board to make sure all the wires are still making contact.

hope this helps!

Freddy

idrum289
idrum289's picture

The only clue I can give you is that my RS Media makes the same phut phut sound but only when using batteries. When he's connected to his power supply it is all ok.

fsr1d3r
fsr1d3r's picture

Those pics and description should do fine - thanks Freddy! If the problem is not there and I want to check the hand, will you be able to help with taking that apart as well?

Thanks idrum289 for the hint about power source. I haven't found one yet, but when I do, I will test it.

I will let everyone know how it goes...

fsr1d3r
fsr1d3r's picture

Freddy: I found an old thread in which RS Sapien was taken apart - including the hand. Can you identify which wire(s) I need to look for?

http://www.verbicide.com/Robosapien%20V2/hand.JPG

http://www.verbicide.com/Robosapien%20V2/hand_open.JPG

FreddyA
FreddyA's picture

Hello fsr1d3r, I can see thet the blue and black are the ones directly soldered to the speaker on the hand end. I'll be taking my guy apart again today to transplant RSV2 parts and I'll get a good look at the end where it connects to the main board. Freddy

the connections are side by side in the center of the picture

edit:added pictures

fsr1d3r
fsr1d3r's picture

Hi again,

I finally had enough time while my son was not around to open up his RS Media (it is a Christmas present). What a nightmare. The screws were tough to get out, the heads can easily be stripped. Once I had him open, I did not know how to get the flat multi-cable connector off. I recently had an iPod Mini open (replaced the drive with a flash card and put in a new battery) with a similar connector, and had no problems taking it off. The one in the RS Media seems very fragile and there is nowhere to hook your fingernail or a tool underneath. How can I take the connector off without damaging anything?

I also had a look and was not sure which screws need to be removed in order to get the back casing off.

I proceeded to take the left arm apart - the one with the speaker that does not work. I got the hand open and checked the blue and black wires, and they seem to be perfectly soldered to the speaker.

Any ideas?

fsr1d3r

FreddyA
FreddyA's picture

Hello fsr1d3r, the multiconnector comes off by sliding the brown tabs at the sides out, and to put it back in it, you push the tabs back in. So not up or down. yull see that whith a small tip you can slide one side out away from the board and then the other carefully, then to tighten you slip the cable back in and push the tabs in. As for the back cover, its only 4 screws, you can see two of them (after taking the front cover off) in the pictures just ontop his arm gear case and one inder.I can help now if you are online. I'll pm you about it.

FreddyA
FreddyA's picture
I didnt get a chance to help further yesterday so here is a picture of the tabs to loosen to get the cable off and have access to the screws to remove the back to check the other end of the speaker connection. On my problem the white wire had broke away from the board. This wire is not leading to the arm tube, it is a completely different wire than the one from the arm speaker wires, but it was in fact the left sound connection from the media board it was a wonder I found my problem with all the glue.
fsr1d3r
fsr1d3r's picture

Hi Freddy,

thanks for the pic and description. I will try this asap and let you know how it goes.

fsr1d3r

fsr1d3r
fsr1d3r's picture

Hi again - I had our RS Media open again but did not go through with repairs. Finding, tracing and soldering those wires is a scary proposition. I don't do much electronic fixing and I am afraid I will damage something, making him useless (is that justified?). I am also worried about opening him multiple times since some of the screws were extremely difficult to remove and really took a beating. I posted in the forum in the hope of finding either a service center, or someone who has actually had an RS open and can solder - nothing yet.

I think I will give it to my son for Christmas, tell him about the speaker issue (it is loud enough with one speaker, but music surely sounds better with 2) and then try to find someone to help. If nobody shows - we will give it a try. Thanks for all the help thus far!

Cheers,
fsr1d3r

gerber
gerber's picture

Help

Hi there I have a RS Media Robot which is about 3 years old. About 1 year a go He stopped working(I mean he no long powers up.) I have tried new battery's and plugging the mains adapter but nothing happens when I switch it on.

As I am not a electronics whiz does anyone know if there is anywhere in the UK I can send the robot to get it fixed or is there any easy checks that can be done. I have checked out the photos above but I have no idea where I would start to check to see if anything is out of place or broken does anyone out there have some kind of wiring diagram that shows what all the wires are for.

I appreciated any help you may be able to give.

All the best
gerber

idrum289
idrum289's picture

Sorry gerber, My RS Media still works fine and I have no need to pull him apart so I can't give you any advice nor do I know of anywhere in the UK you can take it to as I'm in Australia.
I hope you get it sorted, they're a great bot.

FreddyA
FreddyA's picture

Hello Gerber, I suggest simply opening him up and checking the solder points at the batteries and checking for power on the back circuit boards, where the batteries connect from the feet should be two 3v red and two 4.5 white cables coming from each foot (I might have those mixed up). Also, on the bottom right of the circuit boards there are a 9v and a 6v connection. Check those while pushing the power button. If you get power at all those points you may have something else going on there.

Keep us up to date on bringing your RSM back to life, I'll stand by to help as I'm sure many members are too.

Freddy

gerberswife
gerberswife's picture

Hi there

Thanks so much Freddy for your posts to Gerber, he is away for the weekend and he will check out the message on his return, The photos that you have posted on an earlier thread will be invaluable if we are to open him up to bring him back to life.

we have 2 of these bots as we have twins they are excellent fun when they are working, we are now hooked, we feel that these communities for these robots are like a family, we have contacted wow wee who were no help at all.

again thanks to all for being so friendly and helpful to all this is great

Gerbers wife

Thanks to GW JAX for your posts and the training lessons and the articles that you have placed on this site I am a new member and I find all this facinating but a little baffaling I will try to keep up even if it is to get out bot working again. Please keep up your hard work.

idrum289
idrum289's picture

Hello gerberswife! Nice to see a spouse catching the bug too. :)

gerberswife
gerberswife's picture

hi idrum289 this site a little difficult how do you know, if i am on the right thread there are no page numbers at the top, I think this is the first of many threads. am i right it would be easier to navigate around if there was some way to identify were you are on the list of threads, i keep getting lost. there are some amazing pictures of the bots taken apart.

idrum289
idrum289's picture

If you are looking for something specific you can search for certain bots by clicking on the browse button and that will give you a list of all the categories.

gerber
gerber's picture

Thanks Freddy for the advice. I have been on holiday for 2 weeks so haven't had a chance to open the robot and check the wiring yet. I will perform a RS media autopsy and check the solder joints as you have suggested. It looks a bit of daunting task but as he's already dead I have to try something. It's my daughters robot and she will be really upset if I can't fixed it. I will keep you up todate with my progress.

All the best
Gerber

FreddyA
FreddyA's picture

Hello Gerber, I and I'm sure others in the forum will try our best to get your daughters RSM up and running again. As I always say, make sure not to strip the screws! TikaC made a great RSM disassembly write up that will help you get your RSM apart so that we can start troubleshooting your power up problem. http://sourceforge.net/apps/mediawiki/rsmediadevkit/index.php?title=RS_M...

Have fun with it.
Freddy

gerber
gerber's picture

Hi

The robot autopsy has begun.

Below is a brief description of what I have done so far.

I have stripped off  housing of the robot leaving all all cables connected other than the subwoof speaker on the back housing panel which I have disconnected. 

Next I attached a 7.5v mains adapter to the right foot of the robot. Using a digital multi meter I have check that there is 7.5v on the areas circled in yellow on the picture below.

when I switch the power button on and off the 7.5v supply is switch accordingly on and off on the main PCB.

don't know if the above picture of the dissassembled robot will appear but below is a link to the picture

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=4871664&l=4f9ac497ed&id=621358246

I have looked for any signs of burn marks on any the components I can see but there is no evidence of this.

What should I check next.

SealedPlease help please!!!Sealed

Thankyou Gerber

FreddyA
FreddyA's picture

Hi Gerber, hope you have made some progress. I've been away for a bit but I'm catching up with a few posts I've been watching. let me know at what point you are at and if you still need some help with that.

Freddy