Trouble on my roboraptor

9 posts / 0 new
Last post
Gun WowWee
Gun WowWee's picture
Trouble on my roboraptor

Hi, i have trouble on my NEW roboraptor...

After playing about 1 week ... (approx time : 8 hours) ... there are something wrong with his head movement.  When you push head left... usually it will turn his head left and you need to push that button 4 times to make 360 degree head movement.  But now my roboraptor move his head 360 degree clockwise or counterclockwise on single button push.   And the bad news ... every his movement like walking or activating his infra sensor.. his head will move 3 times clockwise or counter clockwise .... Does everybody know how to fix our lovely roboraptor ?

cimplexsounds
cimplexsounds's picture

Sounds like a capacitor connected to his servo motor. I have an Robosapien V2 and I noticed that there are three capacitors hooked to each servo motor. When roboraptor is power up, keep him stationary and test the capacitors with a voltage meter, while the head is actually turning. Turn his head all the ways the remote will allow, and test for voltage while his head is actually turning. If the capacitors test OK, then his main circuit board might be faulty.

If you don't feel comfortable taking him apart, you might want to get a replacement from where ever you bought him.

Gun WowWee
Gun WowWee's picture

Thank you for your help...

cimplexsounds
cimplexsounds's picture

By the way check the wires throughout in case any wires are cross circuiting. It is a very unfortunate thing that Wowwee has been known to use cheap wiring in there products. As it turns out. I had to replace the entire power harness in both legs on my RSV2. Fortunately he works just fine now, all functions and features. But before I fixed the problem some things were not working right on my RSV2, and he was giving me some error messages. Now I know why. I'm glad I caught the problem before the wrong wires touched, and my robot shorted out all together.

It's a shame. Wowwee makes such an amazing product, but then ruins it by using cheap wiring. I sure won't ever get rid of my Robosapien V2. I love him to much. But next time I get a Wowwee robot, I'll be doing a complete tear down, to make sure there is no serious problems.

Hope this helps

MrScott
MrScott's picture

The only reports I've read of bad wiring in WowWee robots are associated with RSV2s. The company admitted they had a problem, and was providing replacements outside of the normal warantee period for purchases from certified dealers.

I've never read any complaints with regards to wire quality for any robots before or after the RSV2.

cimplexsounds
cimplexsounds's picture

So Mr. Scott you mean to tell me, that the other Wowwee robots should have good quality wiring in them? If so this would be very encouraging. So if I run into this problem again, you think Wowwee would send me replacement wires?

It was a total pain to get this awesome robot, that looked like it could actually walk on the moon, it's so high tech. Then to have to replace all the power wire. Boy what a job that was!

I really do hope your right Mr. Scott. I'll be adding three Robosapien V1's and a Roboquad to my collection soon. I do a lot of work on electronics, computers, robots so on, but who wants to do a tear down on a robot if you don't have to.

If you've done a lot of robot hacking, I think that's probably something you can agree with.

MrScott
MrScott's picture

I am saying what I said. Namely, that I've seen no reports any place of other WowWee bots having the faulty wiring issue that affected some portion (but not all) of the RSV2 production run.

As for WowWee replacing any other RSV2's based on their earlier actions, you'd have to take that up with them. I know that they pretty much shut down anybody that didn't have proof of purchase from a certified reseller.

The Man
The Man's picture

Did anybody figure out how to fix this? I have the same problem -- head spinning before any action.

Gramma
Gramma's picture

I just picked up a roboraptor and mini raptor for my grandson. I got it at a second hand store and it seems to have everything including the remote. I changed all the batteries but it won't do anything. Could that be a wiring problem too?