RSM Alarm Clock V2 released

17 posts / 0 new
Last post
Helibot
Helibot's picture
RSM Alarm Clock V2 released

I have released a new version of the RSM Alarm clock with lots of new features and better graphicsSmile.

Some features are :-

• Upto 20 Alarms can be configured.
  • Alarms can be set to trigger on a specific date, day of the week, or daily.
  • An alarm can be ‘recurring’ so it will retrigger every X seconds, minutes or hours.
  • The target for an alarm action can now be randomly chosen from a list of files.
  • LCD digits are now pictures (so they could be customized if you want).
  • Better graphics - LCD digits are now transparent (so the background can be seen behind them).

Here is an example screen shot:-

See others in the attached gallery.

To download the RSMAlarmClock V2 application from click here. (It is also available from the robocommunity download area - click here).

This file contains the program and examples.  To run the program you will need RSMedia and an SD card.  Look at the README.HTM file for full instructions.

Recurring alarms allow you to use the program for other things than just an alarm clock.

For example for a Halloween party I stood RSMEdia in a dark ‘haunted’ cupboard and setup 3 recurring alarms. One triggered every 40 seconds to play a random sound  (from a directory full of scary scream, howls and other Halloween type MP3 files).One triggered every 90 seconds to play a body con to raise his arms. The last one triggered every 2mins to move his arms and torso.  It worked great and kept both the kids and adults amused.

Here are some example configurations for alarms:-

#Trigger once on 23/11/2009 at 8:10am and play happy birthday music
[alarm1]
time = 08:10am
date=23/11/2009
action = SOUND:/mnt/sd/sounds/happybirthday.mp3

#Trigger once every Wednesday at 8:10 and play a random sound from the sounds/wakeup directory on the SD card
[alarm1]
weekday =3
action_rnd = SOUND:/mnt/sd/sounds/wakeup

#Trigger once every day at 8:10am and play a sound from the sounds/wakeup directory on the SD card
#each time it plays the alarm it will play the next sound from the directory
[alarm1]
action_seq = SOUND:/mnt/sd/sounds/wakeup

#The same as the alarm above but will retrigger every 5 minutes and play the next mp3
#It will retrigger 6 times then stop.
[alarm1]
action_seq = SOUND:/mnt/sd/sounds/wakeup  
recur = 5m
recurcount = 6

#Play a default sound every thirty seconds. It will continue todo this forever (or until the progam is stopped!)
[alarm1]
action_seq = SOUND:/mnt/default/Personalities/RSMedia/Sounds 
recur = 30s

The source code is available from the rsmdevkit project at sourceforge. (The source can be found in the file RSMAlarmClockV2_SRC.zip or  in SVN archive). To compile the source you will also need the compiler from the RS Media Devkit V1.5 or later (See here).

I have to admit that I have not tested all the combinations of alarms (ie recurring and date and random, day of the week) . So if you find any big or small issues please note it on this thread or PM me or log a bug at the RSMDev Media project (here).

Cheers
   Helibot

Robostuff
Robostuff's picture

Wonderful! Great work, can't wait to get started on this one! This also is sort of a round a bout way to get your program to loop, check for say a certain color every minute and perform an action if the color is seen, etc.

Robostuff
Robostuff's picture

Hmmm this isn't coming up in the quickstart demo. Clk file copied to root of card. Now when you copy the Bodycon5.sh file it should go in the CONANIMO5 directory, what about the files from the 5bodycon that were already in there? You can't delete them all and just leave the sh file, you still need the UserBCN file. And just to be sure the clk file is copied properly, one just extracts the clk folder to desktop then copies the clk folder to the root of SD card so you now have a folder named clk on the root along with Java, Music, Personalities etc. I can't possibly see what I could have done wrong at this point

FreddyA
FreddyA's picture

Hey Robostuff, I ran into this too and thought I was missing a step, but it looks like the readme needs to be updated. Copy all the files in the clk folder to your bodycon5 folder. I have the empty clk folder on the root just in case and works like this for me.

Robostuff
Robostuff's picture

Oh thanks alot Freddy,that worked, appreciate all the work you been doing on this too

FreddyA
FreddyA's picture

Glad it worked Robostuff. Having an alarm clock is a big deal and it should have been on the list for wowwee. All the thanks go to Helibot for this priceless gem.

Helibot
Helibot's picture

Hi All,
  Sorry, I forgot to copy the Bodycon5.sh from my SD card to the archive! I have updated the archives now, so if you download them again , you will have the correct Bodycon5.sh.
I did want all the files in the /clk directory and just the Bodycon.sh in the macro directory.
It doesnt matter about the other files in the CONANIMO5 directory, they wont be used.

It should contain
      #kill any old versions of the RSMalarm clock running
      killall rsmalarmclock
      #Start the rsm alarm clock application
      cd /mnt/sd/clk
      ./rsmalarmclock &

BTW I choose to put everything in a /clk directory for two reasons - 1) If we make a PC program file to synchronise the alarm configuration to the robot then this PC program will always know where the config file is (in /mnt/sd/clk).  and 2) If you want to have the clock launchable from multiple applications, then you only need to copy the Bodyconx.sh file to each personaility.

Thanks for the help in testing and answering questions Freddy!!

Cheers
    Helibot

Helibot
Helibot's picture

Hi Robostuff
>This also is sort of a round a bout way to get your program to loop,
>check for say a certain color every minute and perform an action if
>the color is seen, etc.
Yes, it should be good todo that sort of stuff with. I considered making a version that doesnt even show the clock, so it could be used to run in the background and just schedule other things to be started at various times.
Let me know if this is of interest to you.
Also you maybe interested to know that you can make a recurring alarm without a start time. It will just trigger x secs/mins/hours after the program starts.
(I edited the original post above to include an example.)
Cheers
Helibot

Robostuff
Robostuff's picture

Oh thats great. This has been the hugest problem with RS Media but now can do many things much easier! Im actually going to try and use this to do a couple things when away from home. Opens up a world of possibilities!

Vader
Vader's picture

Looks great! Huge improvement over the first version. Give me 2/3 weeks or so and I'll have an alarm setting app ready for it. Also what is the full settings specification, or is that included?

Helibot
Helibot's picture

Hi Vader, The README.HTM lists all the settings. But I will make a list (or table) of all the settings and also try to include any invalid combination.
If I can do the table and post it here I will (other wise we can exchange it by email.)
Cheers
Helibot

Robostuff
Robostuff's picture

Hi, Helibot. All of your instructions are nicely detailed. I am having trouble with the command line for having the alarm run a macro I stored in CONANIM7(where as the alarm clock is stored in CONANIM5). Its a color detection Macro that performs some actions, its stored in My Personality_1/macros/CONANIM7

So this is what I used for the command line
action = NOCMD:/mnt/sd/Personalities/My Personality_1/Macros/BodyCon7.sh
I also tried

action = NOCMD:/mnt/sd/Personalities/My Personality_1/Macros/CONANIM7

Where is my error here?
Or should I be using the USRBC command? If so would you be so kind as to give me an example of how it should appear based upon my above location?

Or could the problem be with the space in My Personlity_1

FreddyA
FreddyA's picture

Hey robostuff, try this:
action = USRBC:/mnt/sd/Personalities/My Personality_1/Macros/BodyCon7.sh
make sure you have this under the [actioncmds]
USRBC = ./runbodycon.sh

thats the way mine work

Robostuff
Robostuff's picture

Ha, I just figured this out and was going to edit my post, and that works, thanks again Freddy!

Helibot
Helibot's picture

Helibot said: Hi Vader, The README.HTM lists all the settings. But I will make a list (or table) of all the settings and also try to include any invalid combination. If I can do the table and post it here I will (other wise we can exchange it by email.) Cheers Helibot

I have made a table of all the settings, see this item in this thread "Making a PC program to config the RSM Alarm clock. " for details.
Cheers
  Helibot

FreddyA
FreddyA's picture

Helibot, you mentioned you could make a version or RSMAlarmclock that would run in the background and not display thr lcd. did that ever come about? /I have the need for it.

Freddy

Helibot
Helibot's picture

Hi Freddy,
I havent done it yet, but it shouldnt be too hard. I will try and make it for you in the next few days.
Cheers
Helibot