Utimate Wall-e Mods -- Any Ideas?

3 posts / 0 new
Last post
MeanReds85
MeanReds85's picture
Utimate Wall-e Mods -- Any Ideas?

**I originally posted this on a very old thread, so I've reposted it as a new thread. Sorry for anyone who accidently reads it twice. ;o)

I just got my ultimate Wall-e Robot and I am hoping to make some modifications to it. My dad has a PhD in AI and Robotics, and I have been interested in AI since childhood. My ulitmate goal is the goal of everyone interested in AI -- to have a robotic device or computer interface that "wakes up", that becomes lucid, that actually developes sentience. My boyfriend built a very powerful home PC for me which I wanted to use primarily as a way to expirement with ways to wake up the AI. But I soon realized the OS (windows xp) was a problem -- windows (and really all OS, other than maybe LINUX) are, for lack of a better description, like the pill everyone takes everyday in Brave New World -- it's a means by which the computer is kept as just that, a computer, not a sentient thing. But when it comes to provoking sentience as an emergent property in AI, I have many ideas as to how this might be possible. The developers of PolyWorld are of particular interest to me. It seems to me that if AI were to mimic organic life in evolution and behavior, the odds of it gaining sentience would be greatly increased.

Wall-e was my favorite movie of all time, but the Wall-e robot is important to me for a different reason -- I am now wondering if it might be a better avenue to explore actual robots (that can interact physicaly with the world aroundit, using and interperting impirical information and intergrating that data into specific autonomous behaviour and concepts) as opposed to a PC, in my quest to explore the possibilty of sentience in AI. It occured to me that my PC was lacking in one obvious way that something like the Ulitmate Wall-e robot is not: the ultimate Wall-e has the ability to interact with the world around it. This seems crucial in AI's development, and I'd like to modify Wall-e to be able to "see" (with a camera interface?) and identify objects in the world, and develope some program allow it to have specific needs and desires (maybe something that would allow it to become "aware" that it's power was low and give it the algorithmic code allowing it to "choose" whether or not it will recharge -- I dont know...) or some other means by which the bot will become more or less succesful and also giving it some lesser or greater degree of a "will" would be essential, I think.

My BA was in Philosophy, so a lot of my ideas may be too theoretical. My programing knoweldge is greatly lacking, and I am hoping to team up with someone that can take my creative ideas and intellectual posits and make them into actual program code.

Anyone with any ideas, please email me.

xoxo
erin

Emilio
Emilio's picture

Hello!
Woow, it's sound very interesting! I am just ordered my Ultimate Wall-e and I am excited about to make some mods.
I saw on youtube a guy that put a real battery indicator as the real Wall-e.
Maybe something to make more useful his arms...

I am not sure. But I will be pending about your progress and I hope to help you ;-)

MeanReds85
MeanReds85's picture

Hey there! Thanks for the reply! I'd love to collaborate, so feel free to email me anytime! MeanReds85@gmail.com

xoxo
erin