Robosapien V2 Paint Job

38 posts / 0 new
Last post
Dexta211
Dexta211's picture
Robosapien V2 Paint Job

Hi all,

This is my first post on here so firstly i would like to say hello, I'm Dex and I'm an alco.... hang on... wrong forum!

I have a question which is inspired by the thread on painting the Robosapien V2 Mini by MrScott.

I'm basically looking to find out if it is possible to give the full size RSV2 a paint job? As in, are there clearance issues if the casing was a little thicker due to the paint, or is it even possible to remove all the required parts? Or are there any other issues which i have not even considered?

Although I'm a fairly technical person, I'm thoroughly inexperienced in the world of Robosapien!

So many thanks in advance!

FreddyA
FreddyA's picture
Hello Dexta211 and welcome. Over the holidays I got a used V2 with some shell parts yellowed. After trying different ways of bringing back the white I decided I wanted a gold V2 so I took the time to take all the shells off and take apart the head to paint it. The inside thigh shell was the only part I did not remove that was because i had to remove the legs to get at them so I just plastic bagged the endo and sprayed them while still on. I did mask quite a bit so that's something that takes a bit of time. here is the results of my paint job. I hope to see yours!

Edit: The most time consuming was taking the fingers apart. That was just to get all the nooks, but you might opt not to do that yull have to keep track of where all the little pieces go and where the wire tendon is crimped to.

Freddy

Diode
Diode's picture

isn't there already a bronze V2? I've always wanted a bronze V2, even though I jgot a blur one on x-mas!

GWJax
GWJax's picture

Nice job Freddy!! Looks great! I also need to repaint one of my bots the RR but I want to add horns and fins on it before I do it. Then I'll add scales also to really give it a rapture look. I may end up doing this in a few months and set up a thread or article showing how it was done. So keep a look out for it.

Jax

Diode
Diode's picture

GWJax said: Nice job Freddy!! Looks great! I also need to repaint one of my bots the RR but I want to add horns and fins on it before I do it. Then I'll add scales also to really give it a rapture look. I may end up doing this in a few months and set up a thread or article showing how it was done. So keep a look out for it. Jax

...are you trying to make a roboreptile? LOL Just a little joke... So...can you post pics of your upgraded Bot?

GWJax
GWJax's picture

Just converting the looks of the reptile. I'll post photos once this project starts until the end. It's more of a how-to in changing the appearance of the RoboReptile to suit you liking..

Jax

Diode
Diode's picture

GWJax said: Just converting the looks of the reptile. I'll post photos once this project starts until the end. It's more of a how-to in changing the appearance of the RoboReptile to suit you liking.. Jax

Okay. but can you ever make a V2 that can record your voice and play it back when you tell it to? That would be an AWESOME hack/mod!

GWJax
GWJax's picture

Diode, I'll look in to that type of mod. But all that I'm doing now, it will be on the back burner but I'll think of something in the meantime.

Jax

Diode
Diode's picture

jax, I'm gonna get a mcSapien, and I'm gonna detail it so it will look like just a smaller V1. The McSapiens aren't very detailed with the black paint, but i'm gonna detail it.

GWJax
GWJax's picture

Great Diode.. post a picture when you get it done or post multi photos during the process. This could help others out watching how you do a repaint job.
Jax

Diode
Diode's picture

okay, but the problem is, I dont have the mcsapien yet. I have to get it first, But once I get it, I'll post pics of his new look. But I do have a mcRaptor, and I think I'll use it for the project. but I will try my best to get a mcsapien, or use my McRaptor. Any ideas where to get the reighn of T-rex? I should turn it silver, woth gold eyes and claws.

GWJax
GWJax's picture

The mcraptor sounds great to do as long as you really put the detail on it such as lizard scales and the such. :) Not sure where you can get the T-Rex but just check eBay and then keep checking, I'm sure it will show up some time..

Jax

Diode
Diode's picture

What I meant was that the mcraptor doesn't look like a roboraptoe. The sculpting is good, but the paint-job isn't. The T-rex really sounds cool. I have 26 bots.

cimplexsounds
cimplexsounds's picture

If your a high tech geek, and know how to take the shell off, you might be able to paint RS media and RSV2's shell while their actually off the robot, then put them back on once dried.

Only thing is RS Media and Robosapien V2 are a real pain to pull apart and put back together. I know I've done it. However if you've got the ambition, I've seen some really awesome Robosapien paint jobs, lately.

I saw one all decked up in camouflage, it was really neat!

ElectronicsGenius
ElectronicsGenius's picture

Here is mine I painted

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=390216705949&ssP...

Make sure you use adhesion promoter first, it is for plastic and can be obtained at Discount auto parts store.

More robots I painted are here:

http://electronicsgenius.blogspot.com/

GWJax
GWJax's picture

Nice antique job. Simple but as always shows great details.. Nice job.

Jax

GWJax
GWJax's picture

BTW, Welcome to our community ElectronicsGenius. Glad to have you aboard with us.

Jax

idrum289
idrum289's picture

Superb paint job! Welcome Electronicsgenius.

ElectronicsGenius

Thanks for the warm "non-automated" welcome and compliments!:)

Here is a my painted Roboquad:

After removing parts away from items i did not want paint on: (eyes, Ir LEDs)

• Spray with adhesion promoter (let dry) (get this at auto parts store it's a primer for plastic)
  • Spray with black paint (let dry)
  • Then dry brush with gold paint

Whole project was less than an hour. (not counting paint drying)

GWJax
GWJax's picture

WOW I love the Quad painted like this.. It's a show piece now! Great job...

Jax

ElectronicsGenius

Thanks Jax!

And finally, for you Roboscout fans out there:

GWJax
GWJax's picture

Cool, I almost didn't recognize the RoboScout. There is something neat about having the bots antiqued like that and really gives them a big lift in the what they look like. Again Great job!!
Have you done any other mods to the bot's like adding LEDs or other electronic add-on's?

Jax

ElectronicsGenius

Thanks again.
No add-ons yet, just a few repairs.

cimplexsounds
cimplexsounds's picture

Some of my wowwee robots are starting to yellow a little. I'm not so much into steampunk, but I could use some good ideas. I'm thinking of giving my Roboquad and RSV2 a full blown paint job.

FreddyA
FreddyA's picture

cimplexsounds, I have a couple ideas for you. I like the details done on this paint job posted recently, http://www.robocommunity.com/forum/thread/17795/V1-juggernaut-mod/ . also I have been thinking of a biomechanical theme like organic/metal and possibly glowing fluorescent liquid tubes like the predators blood or neon string. I'd really like to see something like that. I do like steampunk supplemented with a bit more something or other, just cant quite put my finger on what something or other is.

Freddy

ElectronicsGenius

The something or other missing could be all the clockwork gears, brass parts and meters found on steampunk items that do nothing at all but look so cool cus they look like they must do something of great importance for the whole thing to work.

i think it would be tough and a matter of art to decorate a good one and i could imagine some wild looking steampunk style bots.

maybe a bunch of 20 or so clock gears set up where if you turn one, they all turn together then hook one to a servo. when he moves, all the gears turn. dont get me started :P

FreddyA
FreddyA's picture

Yes, that would be a sight to see. pressure valves and meters, gears, steam....

FreddyA
FreddyA's picture

Yes, that would be a sight to see. pressure valves and meters, gears, steam....

ElectronicsGenius

gonna have to break out the radio tubes, guages and gears i guess..

I-cybie is next.

'grunt'.

GWJax
GWJax's picture

Once again, NICE work on the V1.. This was not the Mark Tillmans signed V1 that you have right?? I hope not!!

Are you going to paint the i-cybies the same way or keep them stock?

Jax

ElectronicsGenius

GWJax said: Once again, NICE work on the V1.. This was not the Mark Tillmans signed V1 that you have right?? I hope not!! Are you going to paint the i-cybies the same way or keep them stock? Jax

no did i say MT V1? i meant Mark Tillman V2... still working to fix the wires.

and yes im gonna do an I-Cybie.

also did these last week :

Pages