Reset RS Media

7 posts / 0 new
Last post
Fanie
Fanie's picture
Reset RS Media

Dear all,

Some 2 years ago I bought a new RS Media in perfect working condition.At that time, the development of new personalities were just starting of and was pretty buggy to say the least. I downloaded one of the personalities from this forum which basically resulted in the corruption of much of the RS Media personality software. Only the basic personality remained partly intact.

At that time however I did not have the luxury of time available to resole the problem and the virtually new RS Media went into a cupboard.

What I basically need to know is:

1) Can the RS Media rom be flushed to restore all firmware to factory defaults and/or,

2) If 1) above is NO, how do I repair at least the basic 4 personalities.

OH YES - To make things even more complicated - with a new set of batteries the RSM would power up with it's eyes glowing red - illumenated but blank display screen - and power down within 2 or 3 seconds...

I am sure my RS Media would love to be let out of the cupboard…Your advice would really be appreciated.

Thanking you in advance.

FreddyA
FreddyA's picture

Fanie said:  OH YES - To make things even more complicated - with a new set of batteries the RSM would power up with it's eyes glowing red - illumenated but blank display screen - and power down within 2 or 3 seconds...

Hello Fanie, The symptom of shutting down after a few seconds sounds like the batteries (even new) were not put in right or not making good contact. This has happened to me a few times before. Once I somehow even forgot to place all 4 AA brain batteries in his feet. Also try powering him up with the power adapter to see if he has the same problem.

As far as resetting, (after he starts up correctly) you could try connecting the USB cable, selecting USB mode in the options menu. After he says "tether attached" open "my computer" and right click on the new drive and select format. This will erase everything in his memory. Shut him off and he should load up a fresh default personality. you will have to add the other three from the software or get them from the rs media download area. Good luck and let us know how it goes!

Freddy

Fanie
Fanie's picture

Thank you for the help thus far. I powered my RSM up from an external power supply but on start-up the RSM goes into an endless loop of announcing "Booting personality rom"...."System check".... waits a while and restarts the whole cycle again…
When browsing My computer I only see a "removable drive" and only when the SD card is inserted but am unable to format or access it as the above loop continues.

Can one not start the RSM from a pre-loaded SD Card?

I am using a normal mini USB cable - not the original one the product shipped with.

Any further help would be great.

FreddyA
FreddyA's picture

Fannie, are you using the original power supply? or one that is 7.5v 3a? If the power supply is correct, try laying him on his back, and boot with no SD card. (this will prevent him from doing his startup routine) If he does boot to where you can change the menu to options and select USB mode then format the main memory from your pc. I wouldnt worry about the SD now since getting him to boot in main memory to format is the goal.

Freddy

Evie
Evie's picture

Hi there Fannie, We have the exact same problem with our family's rs media and were wonderingif / how you resolved the problem(s) with yours? Any help would be very very much appreciated. Thanks in anticipation! X

Fanie
Fanie's picture

Most unfortunately I was unable to solve the problem but would love to hear from you if you are able to find a solution.
Thank you.

Evie
Evie's picture

Well, I have began to open him up to check all his wiring after doing some research online. It's just getting the time with 3 kiddies. I will keep you posted. x